What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a thread or information anywhere that gives details about Hops and which ones are used with certain styles of beer, is it possible to equate the types of hops to a particular brand of Ale for example ?
I like the Styles of beers that come from Badger, Shepard Neame & St Austell breweries, I guessed from looking at some recipes online that maybe a Fursty Ferret beer would use a Northdown hop ? hence my use of the hop in my latest AG brew.
How would I know what Hop/Hops is in a certain brand or style of beer ? as a complete beginner ? or is that something I pick up over time ?

Cheers

You might make a start by looking at something like this:

https://www.britishhops.org.uk/varieties/

As well as trying to associate hop varieties with particular individual beers it could be an approach to understand the slight nuances picked out by other brewers over the years.
The main thing to remember is that Alpha % drives bitterness and high Alpha hops should be used for that purpose, generally speaking. What hops smell and taste mainly of, is actually, well, they taste of hops.

Hi all,
On Saturday I made an Ipa citra/summit recipe based on punk.ipa but only using citra summit hops for bittering
See screen shot for more info.
Will be dry hopping at end of the week!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180828-144225.jpg
    Screenshot_20180828-144225.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 74
Just finishing off a Belgian Abbey style beer.
Things of note, first brew on my new induction hob:cheers3: And making a brew with broken collar bone and six broken ribs is interestingaunsure....

Attachments

• IMG_3314[4308].JPG
    IMG_3314[4308].JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 72
Crikey...hope you got a Mr shifter with you.

No on my own, filled the kettle with the hose pipe.. drained the wort straight into a no chill cube.
Now removing the grain bag and dunk sparge were fun!!

Had my most stressful brew day yet yesterday. 5.8kg grain bill in the grainfather and it compacted like never before. Mash was a nightmare and sparge nearly impossible. Had to lift up the grain basket stir the mash to release any liquid. Managed to knock grain basket off its' holders and it dropped back into wort soaking me and all equipment. Guessed I had lost about 2 litres so topped up with water before boil. Amazingly I overshot my O.G. by 0.07 points. I'm guessing the crush was too fine.

Feel like I've broken all the rules I've spent 18 months learning...in a good way!

Brewing a Rye Table Beer today based on a recipe from Michael Tonsmeire aka The Mad Fermentationist.

All rye & oat grist (bar a smidgen of Munich). BIAB as the mash was gumtastic. Mashed at 73C as I want maximum body & minimal fermentables. All hops (Hallertau Blanc & Mosaic) in whirlpool.

Aiming for sub 2% abv & on track with OG of 1.029. US-05 will hate the wort so I'm hoping it's going to give out around 1.014ish (no idea really as no software seems able to accurately predict attenuation with extra hot mashes).

It's just chilling down to pitching temperature now...

Last edited:
Had my most stressful brew day yet yesterday. 5.8kg grain bill in the grainfather and it compacted like never before. Mash was a nightmare and sparge nearly impossible. Had to lift up the grain basket stir the mash to release any liquid. Managed to knock grain basket off its' holders and it dropped back into wort soaking me and all equipment. Guessed I had lost about 2 litres so topped up with water before boil. Amazingly I overshot my O.G. by 0.07 points. I'm guessing the crush was too fine.

Increasingly, I find the crush in bought crushed grains too fine. I would suggest the following as an approach:

Be prepared to stir the mash up to ease the flow through at say 10 or 20 or 30 mins.
Take off the top lid during the sparge and add a couple of litres of sparge water and give that a stir when the grain basket is up on the holders.
Be prepared to strain the whole lot through a BIAB bag after sparging to prevent too much grain dust getting into the boil.

Some or all might be a good idea at times.

Feel like I've broken all the rules I've spent 18 months learning...in a good way!

Brewing a Rye Table Beer today based on a recipe from Michael Tonsmeire aka The Mad Fermentationist.

All rye & oat grist (bar a smidgen of Munich). BIAB as the mash was gumtastic. Mashed at 73C as I want maximum body & minimal fermentables. All hops (Hallertau Blanc & Mosaic) in whirlpool.

Aiming for sub 2% abv & on track with OG of 1.029. US-05 will hate the wort so I'm hoping it's going to give out around 1.014ish (no idea really as no software seems able to acvuraaccu predict attenuation with extra hot mashes).

It's just chilling down to pitching temperature now...
With that mash temp and chancing that a yeast will dislike the wort you are definitely going to great lengths to get the low ABV. It's almost like it is more effort to not produce decent beer. acheers.

Scratch that.

I understand that you are trying to make decent beer, it just appears difficult to make a great tasting beer with really low ABV. I suppose you want the full body and all the malt complexity without enzymes converting to fermentable sugars, and without too much residual sweetness. Must be a challenge to not end up with some insipid dishwater. I don't envy you.

Increasingly, I find the crush in bought crushed grains too fine. I would suggest the following as an approach:

Be prepared to stir the mash up to ease the flow through at say 10 or 20 or 30 mins.
Take off the top lid during the sparge and add a couple of litres of sparge water and give that a stir when the grain basket is up on the holders.
Be prepared to strain the whole lot through a BIAB bag after sparging to prevent too much grain dust getting into the boil.

Some or all might be a good idea at times.
I have quite a bit of rice hulls which I would normally reserve for bills with a lot of wheat. May try them next time if crush looks too fine.

Scratch that.

I understand that you are trying to make decent beer, it just appears difficult to make a great tasting beer with really low ABV. I suppose you want the full body and all the malt complexity without enzymes converting to fermentable sugars, and without too much residual sweetness. Must be a challenge to not end up with some insipid dishwater. I don't envy you.

You're absolutely right on the extra effort but the idea of producing an ultra low abv beer that is decent is fast becoming my Everest!

I'm particularly interested in this method as it's one that professional brewers are unlikely to be able to do on a large scale due to the high rye content & consequent need to use BIAB. Therefore I won't be able to buy a beer like this.

Keeping my fingers crossed for something more drinkable than dishwater!

Amber ale yesterday, left overnight to cool, pitched at 08:00 and already bubbling away around noon today, now at several bloops per second. In the walk-in closet in the bedroom for a fortnight.

Attachments

• 20180831_213003_HDR.jpg
    20180831_213003_HDR.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 74
Brewing another Simple AG recipe from Clibit, but this time with Challenger Hops, Also tasted and bottled my first attempt at Clibits Simple AG recipe and it in its raw un-carbonated form tasted really good I mean like very good close to many of the flavours I like, very impressed, thank you Clibit for sharing that recipe ! I guess it can only get better with conditioning ?
My Gravity readings OG was 1.060 and my FG was 1.006, I used a Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell M36 yeast and Beer Smith to adjust to my Brewing Equipment profile, I really like the colour too

Nothdown AG.JPG

The Ferment was a bit vigorous and I had to use a run off pipe into a bowl of star san, unfortunately I can only keep it cool down to 22 deg C and wonder if it would be better fermenting at a lower temperature and then increasing it after a week ?

Nothern.JPG

Bottled a labeled & my Electric brewing Kit very simple stuff

Electric Brew.JPG

Thanks again got to get back to my brew as the boil is over and needs to be chilled, anything that is glaringly bad please let me know I wont be offended just here to learn.

Cheers all

I got started at 7:00am today with a galaxy and nelson sauvin pale ale. I'm aiming for a good malt/hop balance with this one and not the usual hop bomb that you might associate with these two potent hops.

20180909_095108.jpg

Mmm, hot break! 25 minutes of boiling left before the boring chill time.

Latest posts

Back