What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to clone OP accurately and I have the GW book. I think his hops are accurate but his malt bill isn't right which may account for your previous experience. If you look at the Theakstons website they now tell you what's in it, and in case they take it down here it is:

Old Peculier is a beautiful, yet very simple beer, brewed using a very generous blend of finest pale, crystal and roasted barley with two bitter hops combined with the majestic and noble ‘Fuggle’ hop to produce a beer of awesome full-bodied flavour with subtle cherry and rich fruit overtones.

Note the roasted barley and I also think that the yeast is going to be important. WLP037 is rumoured to originate from Black Sheep who themselves are an offshoot of Theakstons. White Labs have just released WLP037 from the vault. Alternatively a call to Brewlab asking for a yeast that comes close to a well known brewery in Masham might get me somewhere. I feel a brewday coming on. It'd make a great winter warmer!

Let us know how yours turns out.
When I tasted my first batch it was close to the original, but had slightly more of a burnt note. This could have been the result of using chocolate malt instead of roasted barley, which I have read gives colour, but a softer, less astringent flavour. I recently bought a small pack of roasted barley, so if I make this again, I may use this instead of the chocolate. The hop element tasted right, I tweaked it slightly this time because I ran slightly short of challenger.

I've never used liquid yeast, partly because of the cost, but it might be interesting to try culturing some from a bottle or two, if I can find a suitable donor beer.

Last edited:
A pale ale with WGV for bittering and Citra for everything else. I overnight mashed adding 372g of crystal this morning for sweetness. I've done very similar before and expect 23l @ OG 1.050.

501 Brewery Pecan Porter clone. Brewed last Sunday and is possibly ready for bottling tonight.
OG 1.067
Target ABV is 6.7%
Approx 18 litres

Whats happened?
I personally find tasting the wort of my brews just after reading OG a bit meh, always just taste sweet and no depth, but with this one it actually tasted half decent before going into fermenter.

Whats happened?
I personally find tasting the wort of my brews just after reading OG a bit meh, always just taste sweet and no depth, but with this one it actually tasted half decent before going into fermenter.

First time I used peanut butter with no palm oil. Second time out I used peanut butter powder. I pretty much bolloxed the whole thing up by getting nowhere near the target 10% ABV. If memory serves, I wasn't exactly going for an imp but had hoped to replicate the flavour profile. I failed miserably both times. The second one did have more of a peanut butter taste to it but was far too thin and over carbonated at 4%.

It was quite a few years ago and I was pretty much a newbie when I attempted it. Think it was my first go at making something that you didn't have to just add sugar and water to. Looking back, I think I was being a tad optimistic.

Ill send you a bottle of mine when done. Im actually tempted to barrel age it.
Last 2 stouts i've aged and come out so much better

Today I made my first version of a hazy IPA. Not a NEIPA as such. But a juicy and hazy IPA but with all the usual style characteristics of a good IPA.

Totally forgot to take any pictures but hit all the numbers needed and ended up with 24 litres in the fermentasaurus at an OG of 1.060 which should ferment down to give me a full bodied 6.2% ABV.

Hops combo is chinook / mosaic and I’m trialing using mosaic cryo hops in parts of the process to see how that comes out in the final beer.

Pitched a big starter of Vermont yeast at 4pm so should be underway in the morning

Crammed in a brew today after work, busy day all round.

Very close to Greg Hughes ESB recipe, but tweaked the crystal to suit.

For a 16L batch:
3.3kg Maris Otter
115g Crystal 82L
80g Torrified Wheat
15g Chocolate malt
24g Challenger @ 60m
13g EKG @ 10m
8g Fuggles @ 10m

Somehow the grain bill ended up around 150g heavier than it should have been, so I don't know exactly what's in there. I expect it's heavy on the MO, TW and Crystal. I must have weighed it on an uneven surface.

A newly fabricated sparge arm for the coolbox hooked up to nice shiny new ball valve worked well and sped up sparging considerably which also meant I could get the boil started earlier.

With this smaller batch the Peco boiled off way more than expected and I chose to add 1.5L of Ashbeck back to the wort to get 1.056 SG. Recirculating the wort while chilling got me to pitching yeast much earlier too. Giving MJ Liberty Bell a try out in this one, it's supposed to give a fruity brew.

Also put 15L of cider into a pressure barrel.

Pleased with all that.

I brewed my first lager today, a Munich Helles from James Morton's book, using Imperial Lager Harvest yeast L17. Currently sitting in brewfridge no2 @ 10°C. I'm following James Morton's quick lager method which I think is pretty much the same as the Brulosophy one. I don't normally chase clear beer, but quite fancy waiting it out for this brew.

Ill send you a bottle of mine when done. Im actually tempted to barrel age it.
Last 2 stouts i've aged and come out so much better

Very decent of you. I'll return the favour. Do you like the sound of a pecan stout? I have a batch bottle conditioning right now. Racked it on Sunday night. Had a little sip and it tasted pretty darn good. Nice percentage too at 6.22

So on Tuesday, I put on a couple of batches in 4.5l Demijohns

1) Cider with 4 x 1l Apple Juice from Concentrate from Aldi at 55p a litre and used a Wilko Ale Yeast. (I think this is Nottingham Ale Yeast)
2) A Mead using 3 x 1lb jars of Aldi Honey with a Wilko Universal Wine Yeast (aka lalvin EC-1118 if I remember correctly) &

Yesterday I did another similar size batch of Cider with 2 x 2l Sainsbury Concentrated Apple Juice with a Crossmyloof Brewery Cider yeast.

I have enough Apple Juice that I bought from Lidl to do another batch today.

All of these will be stabilised at the end of fermentation and then be racked onto some frozen fruit for a week. This will be my first time doing this with Cider so will be interested to see how the fruit ciders go. Aldi Frozen fruit seems to be the cheapest so will try some of those out.

Haven't been on here for ages and doing first beer brew this year ....

On Sunday, started Young's "Harvest Scottish Heavy" for 23 litres,
using Safale US-05 yeast (instead of the kit yeast),
1 kg of Muntons Beer Kit Enhancer and
0.5 kg of Wilko Brewing Sugar.
Didn't take OG reading (couldn't be bothered!).

It's been busy bubbling away since Monday, moderate froth at the top.
This will be my autumn/winter stash.

Latest posts

Back