What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just done simple cascade hops brew. Crystal Malts, S04 yeast (only yeast I have atm).

Waiting for wort to cool down, still at around 30 degrees. 10 L batch, hope for bit like IPA style. Planning to leave in fermenter for possible 4 weeks, will see what happens

Bottled up an Amarillo pale ale .
Disappointing hop flavour.
I used 100g Amarillo dry hops, in a bag.
The bag was floating when came to bottle , and whilst the hops and bag were nicely soaked , I think this prevented max impact. They were hops not pellets .

I don't know what to call it, but it was supposed to be a Pedigree clone but my EKG didn't turn up so I had to fanny about and ended up using target, pilgrim and galaxy - then forgot to put the galaxy in. BUT! It was for 20 litres and I've only got a 14 litre ( to the absolute brim) bucket so I only managed to sparge with about 7 litres of water instead of the 17 it was supposed to have. I immediately thought I'm going to get a huge kick in the spuds efficiency wise.

Pre boil I took a refractometer reading of 13 litres and it was 15 brix, I thought that's a bit high, and wrong so put in the hydrometer, temperature corrected and it came out exactly the same. Cut to the chase I got almost 90% efficiency and before now I've consistently got 79%.

Ok - this is my first time using Crisp Maris Otter, before it was Baird's pale malt. This is the first time I've done mash acidification to get the pH right, and I acidified the sparge water, and I did calcium chloride and gypsum and got my mash calcium up to 96 ppm, normally it's about 38. Any ideas of what caused this delightful jump? Pleeeeease don't say a mixture of all three, or if you do please rank the order of importance.

Aaaaaaaand..... WOOHOO!!

I put 3 stainless steel spoons in my hop bag,wrap it up and boil it to death. Tip water away,leave bag in pan while filling with hops,knot top with very clean hands then carry in pan to fv. Dump the lot in. Job done.

I put 3 stainless steel spoons in my hop bag,wrap it up and boil it to death. Tip water away,leave bag in pan while filling with hops,knot top with very clean hands then carry in pan to fv. Dump the lot in. Job done.

Nice one. Going to try same recipe next time and go for this. May try pellets.

Today I put down the Geordie Winter Warmer Bitter, witha kilo of Young's Brew Enhancer. It looks nice and tastes OK to tell you the truth. I just hope that it turns out ok as I used a new sanitizer, the Wilko one. The original Brix was 8.6 which gives an original OG of 1.0343.

Last edited:
Did the second half-batch of a Malt-Miller ESB AG kit yesterday (my 3rd ever brew, stovetop BIAB), went much better than the first time and hit the OG spot on this time :)

Also used a different yeast this time (NBS English Ale) so will be interesting to see what difference that makes. Bubbling away this morning, so far so good! :)

This weekend I made "ROCK ART BREWERY’S LIMITED ACCESS CLONE (ALL-GRAIN)"

Ingredients
13.5 lbs. (6.12 kg) 2-row pale malt
1.1 lbs. (500 g) wheat malt (40 °L)
12 oz. (340 g) Carapils® malt
12 oz. (340 g) aromatic malt

1.3 AAU Chinook hops (first wort hop)
(0.1 oz./3 g at 12.8% alpha acids)
4.6 AAU Chinook hops (20 min.)
(0.35 oz./10 g at 12.8% alpha acids)
7.8 AAU Simcoe® hops (10 min.)
(0.6 oz./17 g at 13% alpha acids)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Citra® hops (5 min.)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Simcoe® (5 min.)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Galaxy (5 min.)
1 oz. (28 g) Citra® hops (0 min.)
1 oz. (28 g) Simcoe® (0 min.)
1 oz. (28 g) Galaxy (0 min.)
0.75 oz. (21 g) Citra® hops (dry hop)
1 oz. (28 g) Galaxy hops (dry hop)
0.75 oz. (21 g) Cascade hops (dry hop)
0.75 oz. (21 g) Falconer’s Flight® hops (dry hop)
0.75 oz. (21 g) Simcoe® hops (dry hop)
150 g Rice Hulls

2 Safale US-05 dry yeast
1 Servomyces pill

Brewed in a Grainfather following their mash and sparge calculations. Quite a sticky mash, hence the rice hulls. Thankfully the mash didn't get totally stuck but Wort recirculation via the pump and grain bed was slow. Likewise the Sparge was slow. I reached 1080OG which was over target.
Wort a pleasing clear golden colour. Bubbling like mad in the FV right now.

SWMBO requires me to work in the house tomorrow so yesterday I did "Mill and Mash x 2" and today I did "Boil, Cool and Pitch x 2"; as a result, I am well and truly knackered!

One was an ordinary EPA and the second was a Cherry Lager. (I added 2 x 400ml bottles of Lowicz Cherry Syrup to the Lager after discovering that they went out of date in August; but still tasted okay!)

Recipes etc will be on my Brew Day.

I'm brewing today using Amarillo for the first time in years. I used to use it a lot, often combining it with Citra as a dry hop. I've named my beer Austin Atlantic. I always use classic car names.
austin atlantic.png

Mashing a Citra & Centennial as I type.
Last Citra I did was mashed @ 68c. Came out lovely, so 68c again it is.

that is very early brew in the day :)
I try to time it so when the kids get up for school /college I've got the maximum mashing smells and I have to open the french doors to start the boil.
It's just getting my own back for all the times they annoy me.;)

I try to time it so when the kids get up for school /college I've got the maximum mashing smells and I have to open the french doors to start the boil.
It's just getting my own back for all the times they annoy me.;)

I like to brew early too and also get moaned at by the kids. But it's just to get it out the way, honest.

Latest posts

Back