What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's interesting, right enough. Obvious question is "Have you checked the calibration of the hydrometer?". Should read 1.000 for water at 20C.
Have checked it in tap water and cross referenced against refractometer.

IMG_20190122_105831.jpg
after a scuppered start...a bit of cleaning required...got a brew on... American pale,again based on my founders all day clone.. slightly modified with a little less maize and a little more oats and a bit of acidulated malt because it needs to be used....water on!!

Basic recipe..
4 kg pale
227g crystal 150
181g each of wheat,maize, porridge oats
100g acidulated malt
Hops Apollo (15aau) and falconers flight (11.5aau).
CML American yeast
I subbed 1kg base malt with lager malt as I'd run out of pale and the maize was around half but porridge double!...as I had run out...but I don't suppose it matters!
Mash # 66 for one hour
15g Apollo @ 60
15g FF @ 10
28g FF steep @ 80 for half hour
Keep 57g FF DRY HOP after fermentation complete...I do mine after a couple of weeks.
My bhe is around 70%...
OG 1042
FG 1008
49 IBU
Bottle prime with 120g dextrose.
I've done this a few times...nice easy drinking tropical... definitely bung in more on the dry hop if you have it ...I have in the past and it's great! This is based on a 100g pack..
Edit...I remember...porridge was 240 ish this time!

Last edited:
American IPA with Simcoe & Citra
First time using a liquid yeast, namely WLP051.
Using Hookhead pale pre crushed and I don't think the Grainfather likes the crush. Had to stop the pump and stir three times now.
I have added flaked oats but ony 200g. Surely this couldn't make it so sticky.

More North Mill, more tweaking of hops - challenger for taste this time. Only running 10L batches so have to make lots of them. One batch = one quiet weekend of beer only. Need to scale up!!!!

"Gentlemen prefer blonds" so today I'm brewing a blond using Maris Otter and Cascade with Gervin GV12 yeast.
To give it more mouth feel I've added 200g of oats which I toasted in the oven.

An unexpected free Sunday so nipped across town to pick up grain, yeast and hops.
A Duvel inspired Belgium golden ale now brewing. Og 1.074 which was over the target of 1.070.
First outdoor boil. The light breeze seems to help stop boil overs and of course no kitchen mess!

Ithaca IPAbbey clone from BYO book of clones. Hit OG1074 when target was OG1064, so will be reducing sugar from 0.72kg to something less next time to drop the OG a bit. Currently bubbling like mad in the FV. Using safale BE-256 Abbey yeast for the first time too. Rehydrated yeast in water with a little sugar about an hour before pitching, the airlock was bubbling within 2 hours of pitch. Fast yeast !!

American IPA with Simcoe & Citra
First time using a liquid yeast, namely WLP051.
Using Hookhead pale pre crushed and I don't think the Grainfather likes the crush. Had to stop the pump and stir three times now.
I have added flaked oats but ony 200g. Surely this couldn't make it so sticky.

My grainfather doesn’t like a fine crush, causes the wort to flood over the overflow and the sparge to need a good stir before the wort passes through the grain bed. Even with rice hulls it’s still a problem. With a coarse grind the wort recirculates without going over the overflow and I get a much clearer wort. I’m thinking about milling my own grain now..

My grainfather doesn’t like a fine crush, causes the wort to flood over the overflow and the sparge to need a good stir before the wort passes through the grain bed. Even with rice hulls it’s still a problem. With a coarse grind the wort recirculates without going over the overflow and I get a much clearer wort. I’m thinking about milling my own grain now..
I noticed the grain was really floury compared to what I’ve used before.
Going to brew an English pale on Thursday. I’ll see how that goes. Maybe keep the wort flow restricted at first, see if that helps.

English pale has gone by the wayside.
Just about to mash in a Huell melon & Lemondrop wheat beer.
Hopefully the mash doesn’t compact again.

Just finished brewing a challenger and saaz blonde ale/pseudo lager. Bit of a use up brew. Wort is cooling outside and will pitch some notty tommorrow and ferment it at about 14C

Bloody hell its February and I haven’t brewed yet this year! Day off on Monday so maybe I’ll do one then

Back