What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed the grain was really floury compared to what I’ve used before.
Going to brew an English pale on Thursday. I’ll see how that goes. Maybe keep the wort flow restricted at first, see if that helps.

I did a brew day today. Whilst the grain crush was good, not too fine, there was a lot of flour. I gave the bag a good shake to push most to the bottom and used a sieve to remove some flour. From a 7kg grain bill I removed 700g of flour. The mash was perfect, nothing over the overflow, crystal clear wort. Grain bed did not compact solid and the sparge was easy. Roughly speaking a kilo of grain is 500g dextrose so I added 350g of dextrose to make up for the lost flour. Target OG was 1064, actual OG was 1070. Fairly conclusive evidence that the flour makes the mash thick and prevents a good recirculation causing the wort to flood over the overflow. In the future if there’s heaps of flour in the grain I may try it again. It’s in the FV now....

Last edited:
AG#27. 8th on my Grainfather. Citra Amarillo pale ale. Process is tied down now, with smooth fast transitions, and all was finished before 13:30, cleanup & all. I prepare the grain and mash liquor the night before, set deferred heating for the morning, and mash-in within 5 minutes of waking up. Near freezing water from the tap helps speed up cooling; only used 10 gallon. Recently got a rotary composter into which I put my spent grain & hops, saving a trip to the tip. Although I've tied down the process, I'm still learning on the brewing/recipe side. Recent changes are to skip mash-out, sparge with cooler water (~55C) and add acid only to the mash; all in an effort to remove a sour astringent back note. My mash efficiency was 93%, brewhouse eff. at 80%. US-05; into fermentation fridge at 18C. 1.050 SG, aiming for just over 5% ABV. Whirlpooling seems like a waste of time when you have a hop basket.

AG#27. 8th on my Grainfather. Citra Amarillo pale ale. Process is tied down now, with smooth fast transitions, and all was finished before 13:30, cleanup & all. I prepare the grain and mash liquor the night before, set deferred heating for the morning, and mash-in within 5 minutes of waking up. Near freezing water from the tap helps speed up cooling; only used 10 gallon. Recently got a rotary composter into which I put my spent grain & hops, saving a trip to the tip. Although I've tied down the process, I'm still learning on the brewing/recipe side. Recent changes are to skip mash-out, sparge with cooler water (~55C) and add acid only to the mash; all in an effort to remove a sour astringent back note. My mash efficiency was 93%, brewhouse eff. at 80%. US-05; into fermentation fridge at 18C. 1.050 SG, aiming for just over 5% ABV. Whirlpooling seems like a waste of time when you have a hop basket.

On the grainfather if you get a decent recirculation going the wort is so clear there’s no need to whirlpool in my view, I doubt it works that well anyway as the filter would affect the whirlpool effect.

Brewing a very simple Belgian Blonde today. It's the second time we're brewing this one, so excited to see how this one turns out. We've moved house since to another area, and the water appears to be of a better quality here.

Should come out 6% abv-ish, and it's smelling absolutely lovely in here; almost time to crash cool it! 10 more minutes...!

I did a brew day today. Whilst the grain crush was good, not too fine, there was a lot of flour. I gave the bag a good shake to push most to the bottom and used a sieve to remove some flour. From a 7kg grain bill I removed 700g of flour. ...

I hope that you used the flour to make a couple of "Malt Loaves"!! If you didn't then you missed a real treat!

Here's a recipe for you for a loaf using half of the 700g of SIFTED malted flour:
  • 350g malted flour
  • 75g mixed sultanas and raisins
  • 10g olive oil
  • 40g sugar
  • two teaspoonful of Allinsons dried baking yeast (*)
  • pinch of salt
Mix the above ingredients together (by machine or by hand) and add sufficient lukewarm water to form a dough.

Knead the dough for 10 minutes and then set aside in a warm place to prove and grease the inside of a loaf-tin.

When the dough has doubled in size (about an hour) knead the dough again for a further ten minutes, shape it accordingly, place it into a loaf tin and allow it to prove for at least another hour. (Note: A stiff dough can be cut into pieces and baked in a flat sheet to make rolls.)

When the loaf is proved to +/- twice its volume bake in a pre-heated oven at 200*C for 20 minutes then turn and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the top goes dark brown.

Turn out on to a wire rack and allow to cool before cutting and eating - preferably with some butter! Delicious!

(*)
Alternatively, you can use a yeast started made from some trub! Properly washed yeast from trub tastes just fine in a loaf, but it probably isn't with the hassle unless (like me) you just love experimenting with things!

Very new to this homebrewing lark, but my second brew of the year (third overall) is well on the go now, and bubbling away nicely!

My first homebrew attempt was at the end of last summer, where I made a 5 Gallon batch of Northern Brewer (USA) “Block Party Amber Ale”. All went really well, and was more than acceptable for a first attempt, albeit came with lots of "sediment" in the bottle. Required a very careful pour, mind!

Over Christmas, I decided to have a go at a small batch, all grain kit, which turned out superbly well. Also got some great advice from both Brooklyn Beer Shop and a mate of mine who's a brewer for RedWillow (Macclesfield), and had a go at cold-crashing (using a "spare" fridge-freezer I'm converting). Turns out the all-grain process is good fun and not a lot more hassle than extract, imho. Beer was really b right and clear, with a great flavour.

Now I've got 30-odd pints of Northern Brewer “Kama Citra Session IPA” (extract kit, circa 5.6% ABV) bubbling away in my Primary FV. Roll on early April!

Only issue I'm having with the homebrew process is heating for the mashing and rolling boil for the wort. Ended up with a big butane burner, but its a pain having to be outside and in the recent weather, it hasn't helped me reach temps quickly. Should I be looking out for Buffalo or Cygnet/Burco to convert already or just stick with..?

Last edited:
Mashing in a Rye Ale hopped with Mosaic.
Last time I made this it was at it's best when Ionly had 5 bottles left of the original 40 odd.
Lesson learned for this time.

about to embark on a pineapple and mango beer but using cider yeast...
4ltr pineapple juice 4 litres mango juice, 2kg extra light dme. 500g dwe topped up to 20 litres and fermenting with MJ's cider yeast.
I feel a competition coming on.... :laugh8:

a 30% Rye beer with a new single hop for me 50g of Styrian Cardinal> will have to wait and see what the hops like

Doing a West Coast this weekend.
Be a nice change from the NEIPAs and Stouts.
Just trying to nail the water profile
Trying the Citra BBC hops as well.

Making a NEipa calling it Skogkatt, had a few days in Tromso (Norway) and local Graff brewery make a beer called Dead Cat
Lots of hops

I hope that you used the flour to make a couple of "Malt Loaves"!! If you didn't then you missed a real treat!

Here's a recipe for you for a loaf using half of the 700g of SIFTED malted flour:
  • 350g malted flour
  • 75g mixed sultanas and raisins
  • 10g olive oil
  • 40g sugar
  • two teaspoonful of Allinsons dried baking yeast (*)
  • pinch of salt
Mix the above ingredients together (by machine or by hand) and add sufficient lukewarm water to form a dough.

Knead the dough for 10 minutes and then set aside in a warm place to prove and grease the inside of a loaf-tin.

When the dough has doubled in size (about an hour) knead the dough again for a further ten minutes, shape it accordingly, place it into a loaf tin and allow it to prove for at least another hour. (Note: A stiff dough can be cut into pieces and baked in a flat sheet to make rolls.)

When the loaf is proved to +/- twice its volume bake in a pre-heated oven at 200*C for 20 minutes then turn and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the top goes dark brown.

Turn out on to a wire rack and allow to cool before cutting and eating - preferably with some butter! Delicious!

(*)
Alternatively, you can use a yeast started made from some trub! Properly washed yeast from trub tastes just fine in a loaf, but it probably isn't with the hassle unless (like me) you just love experimenting with things!

very good thank you !!.

Latest posts

Back