What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, I see from all the brief recipes listed on this thread and elsewhere, no mention of how much water! Do you all operate on a standard amount of water per batch? if so, how much, please?

Guys, I see from all the brief recipes listed on this thread and elsewhere, no mention of how much water! Do you all operate on a standard amount of water per batch? if so, how much, please?
There are calculators but I tend to use a ratio 3:1 ie 3 litres per kilo, so 15 litre for 5kg for the mash and same for the sparge.

I go with as much water I can get in my boiler. That's normally around 25 litres . Short sparge of around 9 litres. A lot of this depends on the size of the grain bill and the strength of the beer.

Thanks, both. That sounds in the same ballpark; I'm starting with 3 kg of grains and 5 gallons of water for my mash, so that's about 23 litres, plus sparging, with 500 g of sugar in the bucket, ending up with around 17 litres in there, seems comparable..

Simply Golden Ale

Batch size 23L
S.G 1.042
F.G 1.009
EBC 7.6
IBU 36

Grain Bill
4.1KG Maris Otter
0.2KG Torrefied Wheat

Hop Schedule
10g EKG @ First Wort
10g Challenger @ First Wort
20g Challenger @ 60 Mins
15g EKG @ 15 Mins
10g Fuggles @ 15 Mins

Yeast
S-04

Other Additions
0.5 Protofloc Tablet @ 10 Mins
05 tsp gelatine - Cold Crash

Sadly work insisted I worked this morning so I ran the new Grainfather through its paces this evening, with what I hope is going to be a very quick grain to glass brew as I am drinking my last bottle of stout.

Really enjoyed the grainfather, it was quick and reasonably hasslefree. Only accident was disassembling the spring valve during the mash, but it was easily fixed and the mash worked fine.

Last edited:
Brewed my second Abbots Ale clone, I am new to AG but this ale may become a favourite.

Attachments

• 5138C727-DB73-4C4E-86D1-FCB14E9D1320.jpeg
    5138C727-DB73-4C4E-86D1-FCB14E9D1320.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 58
I was feeling nostalgic so decided to do a kit namely the Youngs American Mocha Porter, this was the first home brew kit I made that I thought was not just drinkable but actually genuinely descent.

Kit has being made up to 18L with a gravity of 1.050 so should come in about 5%. Yeast wise I decided to reuse the slurry from a batch of dark mild (Wyeast London Ale III), kit was made up then the mild kegged and a cup of slurry taken with a sanitised tea cup and added straight to the fermentor.

While on the whole I think especially with lower gravity beers like the afore mentioned Mild, all grain gives a better beer than kits I cannot fault the 30 minute brew day.

Last edited:
not today, last weekend. Saturday 9th I think,
a Geordie lager kit I received for Christmas. 🌲⛄
bubbling away nicely.

Racked the Geordie lager yesterday and got a Cooper's Mexican cerveza on the go straight afterwards.

23 litres of Citra single hop IPA

4500g MO pale
250g Carapils

Mashed @ 65°C for 60 mins
Mashout @ 75°C for 10 mins

30g Citra @ boil
20g Citra @ 15
1/2 protofloc tablet @ 10
25g Citra @ 5
75g Citra @ Flame out

Used MJ Hophead yeast

OG 1.052 @ 20°C

Last edited:
I was feeling nostalgic so decided to do a kit namely the Youngs American Mocha Porter, this was the first home brew kit I made that I thought was not just drinkable but actually genuinely descent.

Kit has being made up to 18L with a gravity of 1.050 so should come in about 5%. Yeast wise I decided to reuse the slurry from a batch of dark mild (Wyeast London Ale III), kit was made up then the mild kegged and a cup of slurry taken with a sanitised tea cup and added straight to the fermentor.

While on the whole I think especially with lower gravity beers like the afore mentioned Mild, all grain gives a better beer than kits I cannot fault the 30 minute brew day.
Trust me mate , I did the same back in September for more or less the same reasons just fancied it some how, drank a few over Christmas and really enjoyed it , tried a couple last night and wow , was bloody gorgeous, definitely gets better with ageing so much so am going to brew another next week an forget it till next Christmas, for a kit beer not to shabby 🍻🍻👍

Two turbo ciders in 5L Ashbeck water bottles modified with airlocks. One is forest fruits and one apple, will be sparkling and still respectively. My first try of this after wondering what to do with the bottles rather than just recycle and then reading up on TC here. Took them up to OG around 1.056 and 1.054 so should work out around 7.5ish%

The forest fruits one is to convince the wife that this brewing business is not just funny tasting beer, so a) hope it tastes alright and b) might have to serve in thimbles!

Bottled my Graham Wheeler extract Taylor's Landlord clone. Already looking and tasting much better than my previous attempt. Bit of an unpleasant smell which I guess may be the Gervin Yeast; I have just about enough experience to ignore the odd things that can happen during fementation and tend to right themselves. Gravity went from 1.050 to 1.008, so the booze is a bit higher than intended.

To occupy the FV, did a mini-rye mash to add to half a Wherry kit, following clibit's post at:

Simple kit plus mini-mash method to improve a kit

500g crushed rye, 500g crushed golden promise mashed in 4l water - didn't hold the temperature as well as I'd hoped so more insulation needed next time. Added one tin LME from the wherry kit and made it up short to 10 litres. Used one of the kit sachets of yeast after rehydration. Starting gravity 1.060, the wort certainly has a rye taste!

I brewed my second AG yesterday - a small batch kit from Oak Homebrew called Steady On Ale, which is a clone of Black Bat. Never had Black Bat before so won't be able to compare the results, but it sounds nice! This brew day was much more relaxed than my first dabble with AG!

If I get time today, I'm going to brew a MYO Irish Stout from The Range, but I'll be pimping it, using advice from this forum and adding cacao nibs, lactose and coffee.

Mixed ferm brown ale tonight..
23l
Pilsner 3.3 k
Munich 1 k
Maize .300
Caramunich two .300
Medium crystal .300
Caraf three .100
22 ibu's of hops

Going to add a jam jar of trub from last month's red ale that had Belgium lambic blend. Plus various dregs from house mixed ferm beers👍

Last edited:
Back