What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Irish Extra Stout.
7.2 kg grain milled, strike water heating up. 2 step mash 64C for 60 mins 68C 30 mins. 15 mins 76C with late mash addition of chocolate and brown malt.
View attachment 41025
Base malt.
View attachment 41026
Late mash addition.
Got my base malt in 34 litres of water, pushes the Guten to the limit, 950g of flaked barley doesn't help with recirculation. Have to keep a close eye on it for the first 15 minutes.
004.JPG
005.JPG

Safely into fermenter this arvo, weighing in at 1,062 OG

Last edited:
Third incarnation of my Vienna APA. Mixing up the hops with Chinook, Cascade and Amarillo following late on after Magnum at start of boil. Using Lallemand Verdant again.

Attachments

• IMG_20210207_114705.jpg
    IMG_20210207_114705.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 36
Two brews in the last two weeks:

Last weeks - Helles w/ Hallertau Blanc (23L)

Full step mash - 50c for 10 mins (protein rest), 65c for 30 mins (beta amylase rest), 71c for 30 mins (alpha amylase rest), 77c for 10 mins (mash out)
Grist: 4.3kg german pilsner malt, 400g vienna malt, 300g carapils
Hops: 10g Magnum @ 60 mins, 50g hallertau blanc for 60 min hopstand @ 75c
Yeast: 3 x 11g W-34/70

Was interested in pairing the subtleties of the Hallertau Blanc with the Helles, I normally do it with Wakatu which has become very popular with friends due to the lime / vanilla notes, but thought the Hallertau Blanc might give it a different kind of kick. W-34/70 seemed to stall out towards the end of the ferment again, I have had trouble hitting final gravity with this yeast but it does give that nice clean finish, i'm wondering too if it's the step mash that may be the culprit, considering how long it adds onto the brew day i'm not sure its worth it.

OG: 1.050
FG: 1.016
ABV: 4.4%

This weeks - West Coast IPA (23L)

60 minute mash
Grist: 5kg Maris Otter Pale, 715g Pilsen Malt, 400g Crystal 60L
Hops: 25g Magnum @ 60 mins, 50g Galaxy / 50g Citra / 50g Summit for 60 min hopstand @ 75c, 50g Galaxy / 50g Citra / 50g Summit dry hop after FG
Yeast: 3 x 11g M66 Hophead Ale

This one I was kinda using up leftover bags of stuff I had from other brews, the Crystal I bought a 3kg bag over a year ago and there's still 1.5kg left and it goes off in April, it smelled absolutely delicious once i'd done the whirlpool additions and i'm going to dry hop with the rest of those hops once i've hit FG.

I'm trying to bottle up a lot for hopefully eventual lockdown lifting / summer BBQ vibes, I do also have a 19L keg full of Cherry Tripel I made that is carbed and currently just sitting to mellow in the garage.

Next weekends brew will be the Banoffee Weizenbock recipe from James Morton's "Brew" book, this book got me into homebrewing a few years ago (really recommend this one for beginners) so will post up about that one once its done!

In the midst of a punk clone.
I brewed the early version very early on in my brewing career. Turned out rubbish so interesting to see if I've improved 😂
And I've never used 350 grams of hops in a brew before 😱😱
I'm no hop head but do enjoy a punk👍
PXL_20210209_162111760.jpg

Bottled my rye-pimped Wherry (Wherrye?). After encouraging the Munton's yeast to finish its work, looks like it is 6.0% ABV. Seems I have managed to make a Wherry stronger than my Christmas Imperial Stout.

Put half a Brewpaks Fixby Gold in the vacated fermenter. Trying this half with a MJ Liberty Bell yeast as a bit of an experiment.

I went to bottle my rye saison this morning for a competition on another forum and was met with this sight:
2cVMZOR.jpg

Bugger. I've had a few issues with brett B cross-contamination recently but I really thought I'd shifted it, there was no sign of it in my last couple of brews. But I'm hoping that's what this is rather than something wild, because at least it will still turn out nice. I'll leave it in the FV for a few more weeks to see if it's worth bottling.

Today is a Guinness clone. A bit of a late start!!
70% Maris otter
20% flaked barley
10% roast barley
Adding just over 200g acid malt at 15 to the mash.
Target for bittering.
CML beoir yeast..

I went to bottle my rye saison this morning for a competition on another forum and was met with this sight:
2cVMZOR.jpg

Bugger. I've had a few issues with brett B cross-contamination recently but I really thought I'd shifted it, there was no sign of it in my last couple of brews. But I'm hoping that's what this is rather than something wild, because at least it will still turn out nice. I'll leave it in the FV for a few more weeks to see if it's worth bottling.
Brett rye Saison, what's not to like 👌

a young's barley wine kit. an extra kilo of fementables added on top of the brewing sugar (500g unrefined brown sugar and 500g demerara) plus some extra yeast. OG 1.089. should be quite robust. will be dry hopping it also.

I unbrewed my Verdant IPA by pouring 20 bottles down the drain. Brewed 21 litres well before Xmas kept trying hopefully that it would get better but it never did. 😢

Wife has gone to her sisters for 3 days, 2 brew days planned and the toilet seat staying up, pure luxury.
Today is Yeoman Strong Ale clone, I have been shying away from this recipe, 4 different hops all going in at 60 mins. Something I haven't tried before.

Wife has gone to her sisters for 3 days, 2 brew days planned and the toilet seat staying up, pure luxury.
Today is Yeoman Strong Ale clone, I have been shying away from this recipe, 4 different hops all going in at 60 mins. Something I haven't tried before.
Drunk every night,curry for tea,same socks...

Back