What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway back to today's brew day.
Using the 40 litre Guten, Brewmonk, Brewdevil etc. How it looks with the return pipe removed, modified the handle to prevent grain slipping through the handle holes, also gives the malt pipe a bit more height.
010.JPG011.JPG
Even though it is a lock in screen I don't like leaving anything to chance, I have made a strap to keep it secure.

Today's grain bill for Yeoman Strong Ale, 6.15 kg NZ Ale malt.
002.JPG 003.JPG
The grain on the right is 0,340g of Crystal late mash addition.

004.JPG
Pushing it to it's limit again, mashed in the base malt to 34 litres of water.
006.JPG
I wouldn't be the son of a Yorkshire woman if I didn't try to squeeze every last drop of wort from the grain basket. Bucket with around 15 litres of water in it for weight

007.JPG
16g Challenger, 21g EKG, 21g Bramling Cross and 28g of Willamette.
All in at the start of a sixty minute boil. While that is boiling I will mill the grain for tomorrow's brew day.

011.JPG
Cooling down.

001.JPG 007.JPG
21 litres, should be 1,050, 2 points over, nice clear wort into fermenter.

Last edited:
No boil, no chill wheat beer. 6l batch to go in the Pinter!

Mashed at 65c for 1 hr or so, raised to something higher as thermometer was jumping around a bit, while 15g of perle boiled for 15min in 1l of wort. Dumped hop tea into mash bag, hops n all. Left to cool overnight to pitch yeast later today.

Smashed my usual 56% mash efficiency so og is 1061, expecting 5.9% unless I get my usual 80% aa!

I thought I would make use of the current weather to brew a lager.

4.2kg Lager malt
150g Vienna

30 litres Ashbeck water, with just a pinch of gypsum & CaCl2
Multi step mash (because I can in a Grainfather)

17g Magnum at start
15g Saaz & 9g Centennial at 10 min
15g Saaz & 9g Centennial at 1 min

Pitched with 2 pks MJ Bohemian Lager (not rehydrated because I wasn't sure what temperature a lager yeast could stand)

OG 1.049 (Adjusted for temperature, 3 points higher than target, probably due to higher boil off volume than expected)
28 IBU's, 6.3 EBC (targets)
Despite very cold tap water, couldn't chill it below 13°C, in the fridge set at 11.5°C
P2110662.jpg

I racked what was left of my Barleywine into a secondary today, sad times but it's better than nothing!

Attachments

• IMG_20210211_160445038.jpg
    IMG_20210211_160445038.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 38
I had a go at the no boil, no chill wheat beer too on Tuesday. Didn't quite make the required OG, but I ended up with 27 litres in the end instead of 25, so that might partially account for it. With some misgiving, I decided I would add a little sugar to bring the gravity up, so just went with a modest 200 g of sugar in the FV. That gave me a OG of around 1045. That liquid yeast is very vigorous and it is bubbling away merrily now, looking very good.

Just got AG #48 on, Greg Hughes' Tin Miner's Ale, although I tweaked it a bit to bring the OG down so it is 4.6% instead of 5.2.

Second brew with the grainfather and mash efficiency is 80% chuffed.

So got to the end of the boil and connected the chiller up and the hose pipe is frozen! What a numpty. Looks like I'll have to leave it to cool naturally. The highest forecast temperature tomorrow is -1 so looks like it will be frozen all weekend

So got to the end of the boil and connected the chiller up and the hose pipe is frozen! What a numpty. Looks like I'll have to leave it to cool naturally. The highest forecast temperature tomorrow is -1 so looks like it will be frozen all weekend
I had the opposite problem with my Anchor Steam clone, 30+ C day so cooled it down to around 32 C and left to cool overnight in the Kettle 18 C this morning. 23 litre 2 litres more than expected. (Due to all the trub being well compacted in the kettle so got more clear wort out) Missed my OG by 1 point, 1048 should have been 1,049.
006.JPG

Safely in the fermenting room waiting for me to pitch the starter.
The Yeoman Strong Ale chugging along nicely in the middle.
007.JPG

2 brew days on the trot, the silverware deserved a tickle.
014.JPG

Don't think I will bother with the thermal jacket until the weather cools.

CN-36, what a great yeast, smells a bit bready initially, but settles out to a go to yeast for any English Ale, cheap too. Nottingham, eat your heart out.
015.JPG

I had the opposite problem with my Anchor Steam clone, 30+ C day so cooled it down to around 32 C and left to cool overnight in the Kettle 18 C this morning. 23 litre 2 litres more than expected. (Due to all the trub being well compacted in the kettle so got more clear wort out) Missed my OG by 1 point, 1048 should have been 1,049.
I overshot OG by one point, due to higher than anticipated mash efficiency, so we really have opposite problems...

Mashing on a 3.8l, 1885 Younger's XP inspired pale:
Grain - 1kg Golden Promise
Hops - 6g Northdown FWH
8g Hallertau Mittelfrueh @ 30
8g EKG @ 0
Yeast - M36 Liberty Bell
Targets - 1.058 OG, 1.015 FG, 5.6%ABV

Just brewed a Biere De Garde (GH) recipe and have to assume something has gone wrong as my efficiency has dropped and I have a wort at 1.050, I considered bumping it up with some sugar, but in the end decided to just leave as is and hopefully will end up with a lower ABV but atill enjoyable beer, yeast wise I’m using Wyeast French Saison.

Last edited:
Just brewed a Biere De Garde (GH) recipe and have to assume something has gone wrong as my efficiency has dropped to and I have a wort at 1.050, I considered bumping it up with some sugar, but in the end decided to just leave as is and hopefully will end up with a lowever ABV but atill enjoyable beer, yeast wise I’m using Wyeast French Saison.
Should be 6% what were you hoping for

23L of a GH APA recipe that I tweaked (just different hops and quantity also 2kg less grain)

4kg MO pale
250g Carapils
mash 60mins @ 65C
mashout 10 mins @ 75C
1/2 protofloc tab @ 10
30g cascade @ boil
20g citra @ 10
20g cascade @ 10
50g cascade @ flame out
50g citra @ flame out

FV currently in the sink as the hose has frozen so can't use the chiller (B U G G E R)

Yeast will be pitched later, using Verdant IPA.

Latest posts

Back