What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
23L of a GH APA recipe that I tweaked (just different hops and quantity also 2kg less grain)

4kg MO pale
250g Carapils
mash 60mins @ 65C
mashout 10 mins @ 75C
1/2 protofloc tab @ 10
30g cascade @ boil
20g citra @ 10
20g cascade @ 10
50g cascade @ flame out
50g citra @ flame out

FV currently in the sink as the hose has frozen so can't use the chiller (B U G G E R)

Yeast will be pitched later, using Verdant IPA.
Sounds like you'll manage without the chiller today!

Just got a Beerworks Dark Strawberry Belgian Ale on today. Curious about this one, it uses a combination of 2.5kg of impy stout extract and 1.2kg light LME.

OG: 1051.

I have more kits on the go now than ever before! The MJ JIPA PB is just about cleared, the MJ pink grapefruit IPA went in the other PB today, there's a bottled st peter's cream stout that I'm trying to leave alone to condition and then there's the 8.5% BW founders double IPA bubbling away in the other FV.

I tell ya, lockdown had better lift in March/April so I can have a party or I'm gonna be 20 stone by the summer! acheers.

Bottling of the Dark Rock Landlord tribute postponed, hydrometer showing 1.018 so have woken up the Safale 04 with a combination of brewing sugar, warmth and sprinke of hops. All seems well now.

No such problems with my first try of MJ Liberty Bell yeast in a Brewpaks Fixby Gold kit - after four days of vigorous fermenting I'm starting to think it is now trying to chew its way out of the bucket.

I went to bottle my rye saison this morning for a competition on another forum and was met with this sight:
2cVMZOR.jpg

Bugger. I've had a few issues with brett B cross-contamination recently but I really thought I'd shifted it, there was no sign of it in my last couple of brews. But I'm hoping that's what this is rather than something wild, because at least it will still turn out nice. I'll leave it in the FV for a few more weeks to see if it's worth bottling.
Did you say on this brew you used a mangrove jack's dry yeast?

Yes, first time I've used MJ in years.
You might be ok then. When I have used M41 on both occasions on my Single the Krausen drops but it leaves like a dry looking layer that doesn't fully drop in cold crashing..itlooks like cracked desert sand. Can't remember if i had it with French Saison.

Brewed a big stout today, 1 gallon OG came in at 1.075 (1.083) so a bit under:

4.5L
Maris Otter - 1200g
Flakes Oats - 200g
Brown Malt - 150g
Black Malt - 50g
Dextrose - 75g (@15 boil)

Bullion - 8g FWH
Bramling Cross - 10g @ 30
Bullion - 5g @5
Bramling Cross - 5g @5

Nottingham yeast
Bottled today @ 1.016, 7.7% ABV
At the time of bottling it's quite smooth and rich

You might be ok then. When I have used M41 on both occasions on my Single the Krausen drops but it leaves like a dry looking layer that doesn't fully drop in cold crashing..itlooks like cracked desert sand. Can't remember if i had it with French Saison.
It definitely looks like brett pellicle, but I hope you're right. I'm going to leave it in the FV for a few weeks to see what happens thumb.

It definitely looks like brett pellicle, but I hope you're right. I'm going to leave it in the FV for a few weeks to see what happens thumb.
😕 I didn't see that..is that the little circular bit in the photo ( not seen one other than in books)?

Also quick question as I have only used Brett once. When you bottle condition like Orval why doesn't a pellicle happen in the bottle? Or could it?

Last edited:
Underworld Milk Stout. Yesterday actually but close enough! First all grain brew. Managed to get an OG of 1060 and target was 1056, so fairly happy. Looks like I'm only 1/2 litre shy of 20l batch, so not bad either.
Underestimated how long it would take... glad I didn't wait and do it today and be in the bad books. She got some flowers anyhow :)

21 litres of Jail Ale
4000g Pale malt
400g Crystal malt
250g Torrefied wheat
50g Chocolate malt
35g Challenger @ 60m
25g Fuggles @ 15m
CML Midland
OG 1050

21 litres of Munich Dunkel
2500g Munich malt
2400g Lager malt