What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was your Munich not so pale recipe I was looking at, got a little confused. Wouldn't really add any other hops other than a bittering

Tried my first all-grain recipe today, and the house smells amazing.
Enigma SMaSH with Maris Otter Pale - I’m actually suprise as to just how time-consuming it is.
Also sneaked in a Mangrove Jacks Pilsner which has been well hopped with Saaz.

I am a bit surprised by the lack of action on my latest brew. I pitched it yesterday afternoon with a Wyeast liquid yeast (which I thought would act faster, not slower, than the powdered yeasts I usually use, but no sign of life so far whatsoever, the one previous time I used one, it did) and it's been in my warm living-room, and that's what, about 32 hours now. I am half-expecting it to be lively by the time I wake up tomorrow, but if it isn't, I'll bung in a Safale 04 I have in the cupboard. Have to say the wort seemed fine, with my usual gravity achieved.

I am a bit surprised by the lack of action on my latest brew. I pitched it yesterday afternoon with a Wyeast liquid yeast (which I thought would act faster, not slower, than the powdered yeasts I usually use, but no sign of life so far whatsoever, the one previous time I used one, it did) and it's been in my warm living-room, and that's what, about 32 hours now. I am half-expecting it to be lively by the time I wake up tomorrow, but if it isn't, I'll bung in a Safale 04 I have in the cupboard. Have to say the wort seemed fine, with my usual gravity achieved.
Did you make a starter

Did you make a starter

For the yeast? No, but to be fair, I used it in accordance with the instructions on the sachet. And the liquid yeast I used the other day on weissbier in the same way worked very well.

Well...the plan was to brew a bitter,but on an inventory check,even though I got everything in to brew a bitter I had a few opened bags of pale malt that needed using..Maris otter,pale and pilsner,plus I found 100g of Chinook in the other freezer,plus part packs of citra and cascade. So a user upper American pale is under way...

I'm brewing my first AG in almost 6 months today. Due to covid restrictions putting a virtual halt on my business I've had to take on temporary warehouse work and that's left me with not enough energy to devote a whole day to brewing properly, until now.

I'm having to scratch around for fermentables so it's looking like 3.35kg MO, 0.4kg Munich, 0.3kg golden syrup (never brewed with this before, hope it works for a pale) aiming for something like 5% abv in a 19l batch.

Bittering with 15g Columbus for 60min then 25g of last year's homegrown First Gold hops at 15 and 5mins, then 50g for 20min in a 75c whirlpool. Aiming for a very rough estimate of 45ibu, I like it bitter so if its more that's all fine and dandy.

Going to dry pitch 2.5g Voss Kveik with no added O2 and ferment at 35c, chamber permitting.

It's going to be a very relaxed brew day, after finishing the recipe over breakfast, milling the grains and weighing the minerals I've only just doughed in!

Signs of life this morning in my beer! As I half-expected, but it's taken the best part of 48 hours, never had a yeast that slow before. But pretty confident it will be OK now.

p.jpeg

Not today, but brewed a milk stout a couple of days ago,
Marris
Chocolate
Roast barley
Light and dark crystal.. quite a lot going on.
Lactose sugar Wilko yeast and some home grown ESK

Today I started another batch of 'regret wine'

3 bottles of blackcurrant & apple squash from Lidl
made up to about 4 gallons
3 Kg of sugar (with 2 Kg to add later to final volume of 5 gallons)
3 heaped teaspoons tannin
3 teaspoons yeast nutrient
3 teaspoons wine yeast

Last time I did this there was no yeast nutrient & it took forever.
This time yeast has made a nice foam on the surface after about 8 hours

Latest posts

Back