What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I've tried using Citra for bittering before and it was just too overpowering. Haven't use Magnum with Citra before but will consider it next time. Last time I used Nugget for bittering and it worked well.
Magnum is often quoted as a good bittering hop as it is relatively high in AA but also reasonably cheap and described as quite 'neutral' in flavour. Given that the bittering addition is not going to really be adding to the flavour or aroma then I think using a relatively expensive hop like Citra might be considered a waste.

Quick 10litre small batch wheat tripel, smells amazing! Will put down for Christmas if it goes well

Last edited:
Just brewed a White IPA for the first time hopped with Mandarina Bavaria & Talus. Not bad timing brewed and yeast pitched by 10am.
IMG_20210509_094603.jpg

Figured I could easily do a stock-pot version of the parsnip stout, rather than get the boiler out.

parsnip2.jpeg

23 Litres of AG APA (tweaked GH recipe)

5Kg Pale malt (MO)
60 min mash @ 65°C
10 min mash out @ 75°C
Boil for 65 mins
44g Chinook@ boil
40g Simcoe & 40g Citra @ 10 mins
half a protofloc tablet @ 10 mins
60g Simcoe & 60g Citra at turn off (80°C)

Verdant IPA yeast @ 20°C
Sitting in the fermenting fridge @ 20°C
OG 1.052

Magnum is often quoted as a good bittering hop as it is relatively high in AA but also reasonably cheap and described as quite 'neutral' in flavour. Given that the bittering addition is not going to really be adding to the flavour or aroma then I think using a relatively expensive hop like Citra might be considered a waste.
I use magnum for bittering nearly all my beers but just be careful with quantities as it can overpower

25L of Belgian Pale Ale with Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes yeast, hopped with Hallertau Mittelfruh and Mandarina Bavaria

Threw yesterday's stout away before pitching; wasn't happy with it.

In more productive news, bottled most of the sweet cherry saison today. Looking good, a fetching pink colour, it'll be interesting to see if it clears OK. FG was only 1008, but I reduced the sugar prime a little from usual because I figured there must be a fair amount of sugar still in there.

Also, pleased to find that getting 'spent' cherries out of the demi-johns was not the big problem I feared it might be; they just fell our very readily.

22 litres of Kolsch
4200g Pilsner malt
300g Munich light
200g Cara Pils
28g EKG @ 60m
18g HM @ 15m
3G Irish moss @ 15m
15g Saaz whirlpool for 15m
CML Kolsch yeast
OG 1048 BHE 71%

20 litres of Brewdog's Hop Fiction brewed at the weekend

I only saw this a few times in the shops but I absolutely loved it so I've finally gotten around to brewing this simple little beauty.
Hop it lives up to my memory of the original.

4.6kg Crisp Extra Pale
12.5g Chinook (60)
1 tspn Irish Moss (15)
37.5g Amarillo (0)
37.5g Mosaic (0)
25g Chinook (0)
62.5g Amarillo (4 day dry hop)
62.5g Mosaic (4 day dry hop)
62.5g Chinook (4 day dry hop)
1pkt BRY-97 yeast
OG 1.055
ME 86% BHE 80%

Brewed a Belgian table beer last night
4kg pilsner
500g wheat.

40g traditional hops fwh
30g Styrian gold plus 40 Styrian dragon @5 mins

This only got a 20 min boil. Liverpool match was starting 😁

Og 1.050

This will be dry hopped with 60g Styrian dragon plus 40 Styrian gold.

Mashing in an imperial Belgian stout. This is a variant of @Pennine spring stout which I have made before.
4kg Maris otter
1kg Munich
500g Cara malt
300g chocolate rye
200g chateau cafe light
300g special W
300g carafe 3
200g flaked barely

20g magnum@60 mins
30g Chinook@10mins
30g Chinook@ flameout

I have used T58 and wlp 530 previously. Both made a lovely stout but for this attempt I am using belle Saison yeast. Once fermentation starts I will slowly ramp from 20 up to 27 I am looking to get some of the spice and pepper in the finish.
I will up date with numbers later but I would be happy with 14 litres and around 8.5%

Yesterday 13th.
Got a Magnum pinot grigio kit I've had a while on the go after racking a Cooper's lager.
Says to put 3.5kg of sugar in but I chucked 4 bags in 🙄😁
Bubbling away nicely.

An impromptu Bohemian Lager.
4kg Pilsner malt
180g Melanoidin
100g Carapils

Mashed @65°C for 60 min

17g Hallertau Blanc FWH @80
16g Magnum @60
35g Saaz @0, hop stand for 20mins. @70°C

1.5 packets of MJ Bohemian yeast (MJ84) to pitch at 9 °C

Hi all,
First post here after gathering lots of good info and benefiting from your collective knowledge. So firstly thanks all for your experience.
Yesterday I attempted a Märzen, along with Decoction Mashing. I am aware there’s a lively discussion as to the benefit of Decocting, but wanted to try it out. From a purely subjective point of view it did feel like a real connection to historic processes. Mind you, having the thermometer to check temps was good as I missed one of the step ups by a few degrees. Ingredients were:

WEYERMANN® BARKE® MUNICH MALT (2600 grams)
Crisp German Pilsen Malt (1300 grams)
Weyermann® CaraMunich® Type 3 (100 grams)
Cascade Pellets (1 grams)
Hallertauer Mittlefruh Pellets (50 grams)
WLP820 Oktoberfest/Märzen Lager Yeast (1 packs)

Available as a kit from Malt Miller, but I changed out the 90 min hops to reduce IBU to correct BU:GU for style as the ABV will end up as just under 5% and SG was 1043.
It’ll be tough not being able to drink this for about 8 weeks though! Should give me time to try to correct anything I don’t like for a second batch to be ready in time for Oktoberfest in Sept. 👍🏻🇩🇪🍺

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back