What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noticed a couple of typos in my post above.
Cascade Pellets (11 grams)
Post Boil OG of 1043

In my wisdom, I’ve chosen today as a WFH brew day to do my MaltMiller/Elusive competition entry (mainly because I only have until 9 July to get it down there).

Competition terms are that it is a Belgian witbier. They give you an AG kit of the grains Elusive use in their new witbier but all the grains are bagged separately to let you modify the recipe as you please. You also have free reign for hop choice, spices and yeast.

I don’t want to give any secrets away, but I’ve made quite a few changes to the grain bill, and I’m keeping everything very traditional. It’s pretty similar the last 3 wit biers I’ve made, ingredients-wise (although I’ve gone for a liquid yeast this time, it’s only 2 weeks after the manufacturing date as well which I was really impressed about).

Aiming for 1.048. 60min mash, 1 hr boil. Sole hop addition at 60mins to 15IBU, spices in last 10.

Last edited:
40 litres of Best Bitter, what could be better?
002.JPG 003.JPG
004.JPG

In my wisdom, I’ve chosen today as a WFH brew day to do my MaltMiller/Elusive competition entry (mainly because I only have until 9 July to get it down there).

Competition terms are that it is a Belgian witbier. They give you an AG kit of the grains Elusive use in their new witbier but all the grains are bagged separately to let you modify the recipe as you please. You also have free reign for hop choice, spices and yeast.

I don’t want to give any secrets away, but I’ve made quite a few changes to the grain bill, and I’m keeping everything very traditional. It’s pretty similar the last 3 wit biers I’ve made, ingredients-wise (although I’ve gone for a liquid yeast this time, it’s only 2 weeks after the manufacturing date as well which I was really impressed about).

Aiming for 1.048. 60min mash, 1 hr boil. Sole hop addition at 60mins to 15IBU, spices in last 10.
Hit 1.048 bang on. Blocked my pump with the spices (should have used my hop spider) so had to quickly sanitise some tubing and lift the boiler onto the utility room worktop in order to transfer to FV via the tap.

Otherwise everything was smooth and it’s now in my fermenting fridge at 21.5C. I’ll bump it up to 23 when the krausen begins to subside.

Hit 1.048 bang on. Blocked my pump with the spices (should have used my hop spider) so had to quickly sanitise some tubing and lift the boiler onto the utility room worktop in order to transfer to FV via the tap.

Otherwise everything was smooth and it’s now in my fermenting fridge at 21.5C. I’ll bump it up to 23 when the krausen begins to subside.
Nice one. Good luck with the comp.

Nice one. Good luck with the comp.
Thanks. It’s only the 2nd non-forum competition I’ve ever entered.

It was the subject matter (witbier is probably my favourite style to brew at the moment), the prize, and the fact I needed to stock up on ingredients anyway.

Today 21 litres of a Guinness clone, now nicely settled in the fermenting room alongside the 40 litres of Best Bitter which are gently bubbling, split the bitters and pitched SO4 in one and CN-36 in the other. The stout has been pitched with White Labs Irish Ale Yeast.
002.JPG
Fermentable grain doughed in.
005.JPG
None fermentable grain added at beginning of mash out.
007.JPG
Safely into the fermenting room, which is a bloody long walk from my brewing area.

Brewed a Stout last night small batch 2 gallons.
1.5kg Pale malt, 300 grams of flaked barley, 200 grams roast barley, 20g East Kent Goldings for 60 minutes used a pack of Cooper's yeast. Looks good 👍

Today I'm having a go at clibit's Dark Porter. :D

foxy>
Googling that White Labs Irish yeast, it appears to be nearly 50 quid a time!

Tell me that does more than one batch!? ashock1 I'm always interested in which yeast posters use for stouts.

I’ve never heard of NineLife, but I’m not sure how they can justify being almost 6 times the price of MaltMiller.

I’m a recent convert to MM for liquid yeasts - I bought 3 packets last week (a Belgian Wit, Edinburgh Scottish Ale and London Ale III) - Edinburgh had a use by date of September, London III was October and the Wit was November! I don’t think I’ve ever bought a liquid yeast with more than 6 weeks left on it before this! Very impressed. I used the wit yesterday, didn’t even bother with a starter and there was a krausen within 3 hours!

Edit - they are charging that for all of their Whitelabs yeasts. Rip-off merchants unless that’s the price for a whole case of yeast sachets.

Last edited:
Today I'm having a go at clibit's Dark Porter. :D

foxy>
Googling that White Labs Irish yeast, it appears to be nearly 50 quid a time!

Tell me that does more than one batch!? ashock1 I'm always interested in which yeast posters use for stouts.
I think you lot over there may be being touched, I pay $8 a pop which is about 4 quid in your money.

Just checking BHE, and after a couple of pretty poor brews from that point of view, the dark porter comes out at 66%, which for me is pretty good, and I'm satisfied with that.

Latest posts

Back