What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, while pruning the trees it started to rain. I had already made my preparations for a wheat beer (not weizen or wit), so I started at around 15:00.

Using MJ M47 Belgian Abbey Yeast, 20 IBU, coriander and orange peel, and see where I arrive.

40% pale ale malt, 35% wheat malt, 25% strong wheat flour.

Using a relatively long mash to make sure my wort goes well through filtering.

Hit the ground running with my first AG of 2021, and it was a bit of a nightmare.

Ended up with 17l and not the planned 19l. I guess it'll make the bottling/kegging easier and quicker.

Standard recipe kit from the Malt Miller, the Tiny Rebel Urban IPA. Devised to try adding the dry hops at pitching rather than day 3, as my last IPA oxidised. Smells amazing and hoping that all the oils don't ferment off.

The kitchen was a mess and was cookie burgers at the same time (which might account for the water miss calculation).

Attachments

• 5C18806E-87B5-444C-9309-ACD995CCF366.jpeg
    5C18806E-87B5-444C-9309-ACD995CCF366.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 47
  • 04DE43CC-443E-47EA-B605-8CD4467C3038.jpeg
    04DE43CC-443E-47EA-B605-8CD4467C3038.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 44
I'm having another go at one of the Small batch Irish Stouts, as per the thread in Recipe Discussion. I'm using darrellm's recipe.

Except that I used up all my roasted barley, so had to top up with a little extra black malt and some Carafa III I had in the cupboard.

Well, it looks pretty much like roasted barley, what's the worst that can happen? :laugh8:

I'm having another go at one of the Small batch Irish Stouts, as per the thread in Recipe Discussion. I'm using darrellm's recipe.

Except that I used up all my roasted barley, so had to top up with a little extra black malt and some Carafa III I had in the cupboard.

Well, it looks pretty much like roasted barley, what's the worst that can happen? :laugh8:
I've used carafa III in place of roasted barley in an oatmeal stout. It turned out nice and smooth.

Ooh, thanks cushyno, that's good to hear. I don't think it's any biggie anyway; I'm only talking about 80 g in a 3.7 kg grain bill. I've also just noticed that I haven't got the Target hops I thought I had, so I'm going to substitute Fuggles for them.

You start off copying a recipe, and it ends up like Trigger's broom... :laugh8:

Fuggles always seems to be listed an a substitute for Target, and yet its only half the AA value, which seems a bit weird to me. Be upping the quantity to suit, obviously.

That’ll be fine, I doubt very much that you’ll taste any difference.

Yesterday I brewed my first stout, a Chinook Porter.
Looked and smelt lovely in the pan but somehow overshot my volume and ended up 2 litres over my
15L target, OG was right down at 1.052 from intended 1.060
https://share.brewfather.app/zS8Tf07U3yKtLN
Thursday last week I brewed a Steam Pilsener, hitting all targets with 18L at OG 1.059
https://share.brewfather.app/2XFT6gGAfAhmRT
Good to have brew fridge back at full capacity

Nothing, spent an afternoon putting together an order for fresh supplies. Included my first liquid yeast for another attempt at a Taylor's Landlord clone: Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire - dried yeasts have seemed to over-attenuate and leave the beer too dry. I will achieve a reasonable Landlord clone!!

Making a batch of Amber Ale - Golden Promise, Amber Malt, and Crystal malt. Hopped with Hallertau Blanc with US-05 yeast. OG 1.045. 28 IBU.

I'm making this beer to get rid of some leftovers and have a healthy yeast cake that I can put a Barleywine on top of in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back