What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you mind sharing your recipe for this one? Am planning this in the next few months once I have the liquid yeast. I have the GW recipe if that's what you will use šŸ»šŸ»
Sorry, missed the replies to my post. I'm going to give GW's all grain recipe a go, with Golden Promise pale malt, and the West Yorks yeast. Have tried the extract recipe a couple of times, and the Dark Rock extract kit, but my results were pretty poor! May just be me, but I find it much easier to get good results for the traditional (i.e. not massively hopped) amber and pale ales with all grain in my small BIAB set-up. Will post how I get on in a few weeks time!

I had an absolute nightmare with a pack of 1469. It's a good yeast and behaves as everyone says - explosively top fermenting, but I seem to have got a lactobacillus infection somewhere in the first pitch. Attenuation was way too high for the stated figures. I do hope it was something I did at my end rather than the lacto already being in the smackpack. I have never suffered an infection of any type before, but it's definitely lactobacillus, as it turned a TT Landlord clone a little sour and has over-attenuated a black sheep clone by 5 points. A lager and 2 kveik brews either side have not suffered, so I have to assume it's the smackpack.
Well, as I achieve some rudimentary skills in homebrew, I need to find new ways to make life hard for myself! Will post how I get on. I'm hoping it leaves a residual sweetness - the dry yeasts like Wilko and S04 seem to do their job too well and result in a drier beer than the original.

Bottling today. Using up some cararye with Challenger and Bramling X hops. Sample from the fermenter tasted very promising - a good balance of hops and malts.

BXRye_July2021.jpg
Original recipe was posted by bconnery on the Aussie Homebrew Forum, my version being, for a batch of 12 x 500ml bottles (plus the one 330ml bottle in the picture):
1266g Maris Otter
290g Cara Rye
90g Amber
60g Crystal
50g Choc

13g BX + 7g Challenger at start of a 60 mins boil.
12g BX + 8g Challenger at 5 mins from end

S04 Yeast. OG 1045, FG 1011

First time I've used my new brew bag, imported at some expense from the US!

Today, rarely for me, I decided to do an evening brew, rather afternoon, as I usually do. Mostly because of the weather, really; I thought it would be cooler in the evening. But I'm not sure it was the best idea, temp control went a bit t*ts-up during University Challenge! šŸ˜€ It's oatmeal stout, anyway. I put it outside in the yard, I figure it's cooler there than in the house, I'll bring it back in in the morning and check the OG and pitch.

Brewing a Japanese Rice Lager today, I unfortunately lost most of a corny of my summer wheat in my keezer due to some bad john guest shank fittings (that was a bitch to clean), so i'm trying to brew something else to crush.

3.5kg pilsner malt
500g vienna malt
500g flaked rice

13g sorachi at 60min, 5g at 15 min, 5g at 0 min.
Bohemian Lager yeast

Brewed a Belgian Pale ale last night.
2kg Maris otter
2kg pilsner
500g wheat
200g torrified wheat

Hops hallertau Blanc and mosiac
Yeast 1214 Belgian abbey
OG 1.052

A nice straight forward Bitter (MO, with Fuggles, Styrian Golding and Bramling Cross) only ā€˜deviationā€™ is Iā€™m using CML Kveik as my yeast, so all being well should be ready mid August.

Brewed a Dunkles Weissbier today. Boiled a bit harder than I should have, so ended-up a bit high on OG (1.060).

I also used my new BIAB drip set-up (pictured). I was using a BBQ grill before to let the bag drip and got higher efficiency, plus it was easier to sparge. I'll give the new set-up a go a few times to see if there are any positive benefits apart from the cutting-edge engineering.

IMG_6902.JPG

Working from home today - someone I had contact with last weekend tested positive, so despite being symptom free and double jabbed, 5 of us are off.

That aside, I stuck on a Muntons Courage Best kit today. Hopefully it will transport me back to the early 80 when I lived in London before joining the Army. My local was a Courage pub and I was 'involved' with a rather well built and very 'accommodating' young lady called Sarah. Ah, happy days.

Brewed last week and bottled today, a citraweizen experiment
Dear Sir, thank you for the samples you sent us. We can confirm your rhinoceros is pregnant, you orang-utan has gout and your alpaca should be taken out and shot!

I know Weizen is (sometimes) cloudy, personally I prefer the 'Crystal' and I always ask for it 'Ohne' due to the annoying German habit of chucking a slice of lemon in (why??). Keep us posted as to how it turns out.

Nothing, spent an afternoon putting together an order for fresh supplies. Included my first liquid yeast for another attempt at a Taylor's Landlord clone: Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire - dried yeasts have seemed to over-attenuate and leave the beer too dry. I will achieve a reasonable Landlord clone!!
Hi Chris, how did your landlord clone go? Did you follow the Graham Wheeler recipe or adapt another? Cheers.

Brewed MaltMillers Finch Cali Common today.

All went to plan and this was the first time I have used water treatment and the first time I have had efficiencies above, rather than below, my targets.

I've been thinking abut 'pseudo-lagers' again, as I have no cooling facilities. I'm having a go at a Kolsch, recipe courtesy of poster @Ahdinko. I'm going to use K-97 yeast. It says on the packet, temp range 12-25 deg, ideally 15-20 deg. So that seems pretty tolerant.

I did a Deuchars clone this morning, loosely based on the recipe in the Graham Wheeler book.

92.5% MO
2.5% wheat
5% extra light crystal

30g Fuggles 60mins
30g each Celeia and Willamette 10mins
10g Fuggles 5mins

Ferment at 20C with WLP028 from a starter I did on Thursday.

I had initially thought that Edinburgh water would similar to mine in Dundee but Brewers Friend seemed to think otherwise. The Jimā€™s calculator didnā€™t like the BF settings so I adjusted my water in line with the default ā€œdry paleā€ instead which didnā€™t seem a million miles away.

It was my first time using the Grainfather mill and my efficiency jumped from 68% with my old Bulldog mill to 76%. That was grain setting 5, Iā€™ll try 6 for my next brew in a fortnightā€™s time to see if it makes a difference.

My first try at a Cali Common

Best Pale, Munich, Crystal Rye and some Pale Chocolate. Northern Brewer to 40 IBU. Wyeast 2112.

I added a few grams more Pale Choc than intended so it will be a touch darker than planned but still within guidelines (just).

I'm sure I've drunk and enjoyed Anchor Steam in the past but can't remember the style or flavour.

My first lager - albeit an atypical one - as well. A voyage of discovery this one.

Jeez that K-97 yeast doesn't hang about, does it? None of the '24-36 hours before much happens' that I see from most dry yeasts, like US-05. Half an hour after pitching, it was raring to go! I've never used it before.

Back