What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez that K-97 yeast doesn't hang about, does it? None of the '24-36 hours before much happens' that I see from most dry yeasts, like US-05. Half an hour after pitching, it was raring to go! I've never used it before.
The krausen takes forever to drop on it though, really stubborn.

20210730_150949.jpg

Batch 4 of my 3c pipster pale...I was supposed to be brewing the fivepoints bitter but was waiting on postie for the Verdant yeast. I'd weighed the grains out for the 3c...then the yeast came..I've decided I'll use a packet on this to see what happens...oh,three points up on target gravity giving me just under 74% bhe.

Just picked up two liquid yeast's from CML at discount price
Brexit yeast ( London fog )
Lax yeast ( WLP 001 )

Anyone used either yeast.
I used the brexit yeast to make a neipa earlier in the year and it was really good. Fruit juice aroma like rubicon. I think that beer got a placing in one of the forum competitions a few months ago.

Mash on for a English golden ale. This is getting brewed for next month's competition. @dave_77
This is a first attempt plus I wanted to use some of the leaf hop kindly donated by @DocAnna

4kg plumage archer malt
500g wheat

Still haven't worked out the hop's but it will be first gold then summit at flameout. I have never used leaf hop before
Yeast is CML Midland

I will post the hop timings later, all going well I will get a bottle sent to you @DocAnna 👌

Mash on for a English golden ale. This is getting brewed for next month's competition. @dave_77
This is a first attempt plus I wanted to use some of the leaf hop kindly donated by @DocAnna

4kg plumage archer malt
500g wheat

Still haven't worked out the hop's but it will be first gold then summit at flameout. I have never used leaf hop before
Yeast is CML Midland

I will post the hop timings later, all going well I will get a bottle sent to you @DocAnna 👌
Well done you reminded me I need to do a post for that😃

After being spired by pictures of @Rodcx500z Sorachi & Saaz beer I decided to do something similar. I only have Saaz on hand so it’s a Saaz Pilsner smash which I am going to be fermenting with CML Voss slurry as close to 40°C as I can go, just as soon as it cools down enough to pitch.

Just pitched the yeast on my Voss Pilsner Saaz Smash I know it works but I still find it seems inherently wrong to be pitching yeast at 40°C (and then to be wrapping my fermentor in towels and turning on the heater in July. But it works has only being 20 minutes and airlock is already bubbling.

The wort came in at 1.042 and I expect to be popping it in the Mini kegs on Monday all being well.

Just pitched the yeast on my Voss Pilsner Saaz Smash I know it works but I still find it seems inherently wrong to be pitching yeast at 40°C (and then to be wrapping my fermentor in towels and turning on the heater in July. But it works has only being 20 minutes and airlock is already bubbling.

The wort came in at 1.042 and I expect to be popping it in the Mini kegs on Monday all being well.
Brute...

First all grain brew of the year, shocking display I know, with the move and the new workplace, only done kits.
mate was around so I started it last night to show him how easy it can be, overnight mash and boiled this morning, beer is already in the brew fridge. 20 litres of American pale with, Amarillo, Azacca and Mosaic.

It's good to be back athumb..

Next brew day, Juicebox clone v4

On The Sesh 2.0 - Session IPA. Less carapils, more hops than V1.
First RO water brew with calculations from the Grainfather App. Mash pH 5.36, OG 1.046. Expected OG 1.043, so seems to work well and my mash efficiency must be over the 75% assumed in the recipe design.
All in all, one of the more enjoyable brew days this year.
D3ADCD71-CE2E-491C-B7B1-09C44BEEC096.jpeg

Just started today's evening brew session.
Brewing latest version of my American Amber.
This version is going to be hopped with mostly centennial and a little Amarillo in the boil and then centennial and Simcoe dry hop. Using CLM Beoir yeast for this one
IMG_20210802_184448.jpg

Nice colour

Last edited:
I think I am about to tip my second batch in a row. It's an experimental beer, basically a hazy pale with hallertau Blanc and mosiac brewed with a Belgian yeast (1214). The previous batch was the same recipe brewed with Bry 97.
Both beers have an odd aroma and flavour. Both in separate fermentor's, both were fermenting during the Irish heat wave. Both at room temperature.
Any ideas, stressed yeast. What does stressed yeast taste like.

I think I am about to tip my second batch in a row. It's an experimental beer, basically a hazy pale with hallertau Blanc and mosiac brewed with a Belgian yeast (1214). The previous batch was the same recipe brewed with Bry 97.
Both beers have an odd aroma and flavour. Both in separate fermentor's, both were fermenting during the Irish heat wave. Both at room temperature.
Any ideas, stressed yeast. What does stressed yeast taste like.
How warm is your Irish heatwave? 20c😋

Latest posts

Back