What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to boost my stocks of basic bitter so opted to do a Simply Yorkshire Bitter Kit, although did swap out the sugar for a couple of kilo of pale malt, (mashed at 64°C for 60 minutes then a 30 minute boil to sterilise then made the kit up to 23L at 1.043. Plan is just to use the kit yeast and then keg and condition for a month so hopefully should be drinking this late September once the temperatures are low enough to not need to refrigerate beer.

The above stout looks promising: target OG met. thumb. I'm assuming the high figure for FG is due to the relatively high mashing temp? I'll be interested to see what mine drops to.

Brewed for the first time in nearly a month today, an APA. Maris, Carapils & Munich, bittered with Magnum and late additions of Amarillo and Centennial. Also planning to dry hop with the same two.

Didn't manage to start until gone eleven and just managed to finish transferring when the rain started. Quickly dragged everything in, managed to take a small sample to check the OG, but my refractometer seems to be hiding. Will have another look for it when I have cleaned everything up.

Edit. Just found it in the bottom of the drawer, where it should have been all along and it measured 1.055, one point short of the target. That'll do for me.

Last edited:
I've just put a batch of "English" IPA in to the fermenting fridge. Maris Otter + Crystal then Green Bullet hops that needed using up. Yeast is WLP007 recovered from my previous brew.
OG was spot on target at 1057 and mash pH was spot on at 5.4

Having a go at a Hazelwood Stout (the one with melanoidin). Stepped mash is a bit hi-tech for me, but I'm giving it a go! 😃
Good on you mate... the step mashing can seem a bit intimidating but without doubt it's been the single biggest factor in improving my beer so far. In particular it gives you the ability to adjust whether you want a more from full bodied or more clean/dry result athumb..

Good on you mate... the step mashing can seem a bit intimidating but without doubt it's been the single biggest factor in improving my beer so far. In particular it gives you the ability to adjust whether you want a more from full bodied or more clean/dry result athumb..
I've got a Braumeister so it is straight forward for me to do step mashes but I see so many comments saying that stepped mashes aren't need with today's modified malts.

Well I lack the push-button temp control facilities that some have (even though I am duly cynical about how accurate they are, or can be, but that's a debate for another day), but I reckon when using someone's recipe, it's best (and politest) to try to stick to it, the first time at least.

23 litres of AAA
4000g Pale malt
500g Munich light
500g Munich dark
125g Crystal gold 45L
50g Chocolate malt
15g Columbus @ 60m
15g Simco @ 15m
20g Chinook WP @ 80C for 20m
CML Kveik @ 32C
OG 1050

22L of Little Creatures clone
2nd time making this (last time was on the hob, this time in the brewzilla)
Was really impressed with it last time, so I have high hopes for it this time.
IMG_20210809_211843.jpg

pars.jpg

After this morning's complications with the kolsch, I'm going lo-tech this afternoon! A reliable old fave. 😃

Brewed a new batch of Dark Mild today. Using 1968 Wyeast London ESB this time instead of S-04. Mashed at 68°C
23 litre batch
3.5kg Mild Malt
0.5kg Crystal High Colour
0.2kg Chocolate Malt
50g Fuggles at 60 minutes
OG: 1.045
Should end-up around 4% ABV

Planning on reusing the yeastcake to make a Blackcurrant IPA hopped with Bramling Cross.

I see so many comments saying that stepped mashes aren't need with today's modified malts.
That's true in one sense: with today's modified malts it is no longer necessary to step mash in order to get good conversion efficiency.
But that's not the only reason for step mashing: in particular it gives you really good control over the 'mouthfeel' and sweet/dryness of the finished beer according to the style you're brewing.

In simple terms there are two enzymes at work in the mash: alpha and beta amylase.
  • beta amylase works most strongly between 54-68ºc and results in a drier, thinner beer (note: it is destroyed above 70ºc or after 40-60min above 65ºc);
  • alpha amylase works most strongly between 68-71ºc and results in a thicker, sweeter beer.
Mashing at the 'default' temperature of around 66ºc is intended to give you a sort of balance between the two... but it can be a bit hit-and-miss; and the results can be a bit 'one dimensional'.
On the other hand in a step mash you make a more definite decision about how much of each type of activity you want. So for example for a dry pilsner you might mash at 63ºc for an hour (beta amylase) then 70ºc for 15min (alpha amylase).

Part of the problem with step mashing is that people like to make it sound really complicated. But it doesn't need to be.

Things i learned today, don't drop the little extention when doing the mash :laugh8: buy a blanking plug for the false bottom that overflow pipe is a pita, recirculation gives the clearest wort i have ever had, overall so far i well chuffed and a big shout out to ABH for first class service i placed the order Sunday delivered Tuesdays athumb..

Belgian Witbier

2kg pilsner
2kg wheat
300g Vienna
500g flaked wheat
200g torrified wheat

10g Magnum fwh
25 first gold @10 mins
25 Saaz @ flameout

Zest of 2x small oranges
1 cardamom pod
6g coriander
All added with 5 mins left on the boil.

The fun started when I tried to drain the boiler. The first gold was leaf hop which I just chucked in. I had to hand ball all the wort with a jug and sieve it using a hop bag.

Yeast M21 Belgian Wit

Belgian Witbier

2kg pilsner
2kg wheat
300g Vienna
500g flaked wheat
200g torrified wheat

10g Magnum fwh
25 first gold @10 mins
25 Saaz @ flameout

Zest of 2x small oranges
1 cardamom pod
6g coriander
All added with 5 mins left on the boil.

The fun started when I tried to drain the boiler. The first gold was leaf hop which I just chucked in. I had to hand ball all the wort with a jug and sieve it using a hop bag.

Yeast M21 Belgian Wit
Cor that sounds good - what sort of mash did you do, and what was the OG?

Latest posts

Back