What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the result with the blanking plug in the basket I am happy with that
2AA701D6-A5B1-44EC-A798-647072A30DB1.jpeg

Verdict on brewing in the brewzilla with a blanking plug in the malt basket, clear wort was aiming for 21L got 21L OG 1048.4 was aiming for 1049, overall i would say there is no difference i still used the top plate and didn't stir recirculated as normal, and i used 250gr of oats am i happy yes, next up is the helix coil when i modify it to fit properly, can i just add this kettle has boosted my confidence no end

Just a batch of parsnip today. Reckon I've just about finalised the recipe; was really pleased with the last lot.

Small brew English Bitter. 10l probably.
Not finished boiling yet, but a user-upper.
All my Maris Otter now gone I've emptied the sack in. Only 1275g left in't.
No plain Muesli mix left nor either .
Only 200g light crystal malt as well, but that in addition would have made it an alcoholic Barley Sugar Twist drink, not an English Bitter.
The smallest I've done with the Hopcat, just on the limit of soaking the grain. Recirculation pump/pipe essential as there is 6.5l under the grain pipe.
Now I've minimal sparged, the grain certainly tasted spent.
15 min. EKGs just gone in.
Chiller and Protofloc next - if I remember this time!

Verdict on brewing in the brewzilla with a blanking plug in the malt basket, clear wort was aiming for 21L got 21L OG 1048.4 was aiming for 1049, overall i would say there is no difference i still used the top plate and didn't stir recirculated as normal, and i used 250gr of oats am i happy yes, next up is the helix coil when i modify it to fit properly, can i just add this kettle has boosted my confidence no end

I recently bought a BZ as I am getting tired of carting a heavy mash tun to and from the garage, together with all the extra cleaning of a three vessel system. I tried it last week with the helical coil fitted using my adapter (shown in the "Blockages" thread). I got a fair bit of junk stuck on the coil because I am sure the false bottom moved during the boil (as has been well documented on the forum). I was concerned that I had burnt wort on the base in the exact shape of the coil, and I suspect this is because the heating elements cover the whole of the boiler bottom, rather than just the centre as on my other boiler (I also wondered if the boil was affected by some of the base being covered). My next brew will use my home made adapter, but with a shortened bazooka fitted each side - that will give some clearance above the boiler bottom - the only reason for this second line of filtration is to stop big bits getting into the pump and plate chiller, so the bazookas should work.

21 litres Devon Dumpling
4700g MO
200g Wheat malt
100g Crystal 45L
45g Fuggles @60m
15g Columbus @15m
20g Simcoe @ flameout
Gervin yeast @19C
OG 1052

Bought this pack from The Malt Miller it's boiling right now. Looks a great colour anyway.

Twisted Stout - 5.1%

Type: All Grain
IBU : 49 (Tinseth) BU/GU : 0.96 Colour : 57 EBC Carbonation : 2.4 CO2-vol
Pre-Boil Gravity : 1.043 Original Gravity : 1.051 Final Gravity : 1.012
Default Batch Size : 23 L Boil Size : 29.5 L Post-Boil Vol : 25 L
Mash Water : 19.1 L Sparge Water : 14.21 L Boil Time : 90 min Total Water : 33.31 L
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72% Mash Efficiency: 75.1%
Fermentables (5.2 kg) 4 kg - Pale Ale 5.5 EBC (76.9%) 400 g - Oats, Malted 4 EBC (7.7%) 390 g - Flaked Torrefied Barley 3 EBC (7.5%) 240 g - Carafa Special III 1400 EBC (4.6%) 170 g - Caraaroma 400 EBC (3.3%) Hops (100 g) 90 min - 60 g - Bramling Cross - 6% (43 IBU) 5 min - 40 g - Bramling Cross - 6% (5 IBU)
Mash Profile High fermentability 67 °C - 60 min - Temperature 75 °C - 10 min - Temperature Fermentation Profile Ale 20 °C - 14 days - Primary

What's your recipe?
Similar ingredients to yours (see attached), but scaled for my BH efficiency and target OG.
I'm playing with the process a bit though:
  • water is Murphy's "mild" profile (150 sulphate, 200 Chloride) to give it a bit more mouthfeel;
  • step mash for a highly fermentable 'dry' result (45mins 63ºc / beta, 20 mins 70ºc / alpha)
Mash currently underway - evidently I'm a bit slower off the mark than @Rodcx500z. Maybe that's because I had to collect 50% RO, maybe it's because I had to set all the kit up... or maybe it's because I don't get up as early as him 🤣

Screenshot 2021-10-14 at 10.57.09.png

IMG_6294.jpeg
IMG_1074.jpeg

Back