What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A change of plans sees me at home today. So...I'll get another brew on.
Inspired by Cheshire Cat this morning I'm attempting Exmoor Gold. I'm going for the 5% bottled strength or there abouts as its easier to just chuck a 5kg bag of maris otter in the tun! Software says I'll get about 4.7% so closer to the cask strength. I may keg this.

Chuck in 5kg to make 22 litres add 40g Challenger @60m , 20g EKG @15m and whirlpool with 20g. I use CML Midland or Gervin yeast. At 70% BHE it should give you ABV 5.2%.

I'm not far away...with my AAU for 40 ibu I'm using 40g Challenger at 60,25g EKG at 10 and 20g styrian goldings flame out.
As for water treatment I've opted for the same as my Tribute clone as the geological survey indicates that Exmoor has the same bed rock mineral composition as the land surrounding St. Austell. *
*some of this may be untrue

Last edited:
Some people may not want to write out a full brewday report but just say what they brewed.

So what did you brew today?

I made a 'bit's and bobs stout' to use up the odds and ends of grain I had
Timoth Taylor Landlord at the Malt Miller brewday. Its sat in our bedroom bubbling like a Jacuzzi
First time brewing

20211018_162348.jpg

All done! Just pipped 1.052 and an extra litre or so gives another higher than expected efficiency of just over 78%.

Mashing the sunset gold, for the brewzilla users my last 3 brews I set strike temp at 70c then 68c for the mash, what comes through the pump is 66.3c and top of the mash is 65.3c so not to bad

Didn't brew but transferred my Devon Dumpling to a corny, my Cherry wheat to a secondary and added frozen cherries and cherry essence and my Raspberry Wheat to a secondary and added frozen raspberries.

Busy using up open packets of yeast. Using the Bulldog B19 Trapix to brew a light tripel, with hopefully a hoppy nose. Merkur for bittering to 39 IBU, and additions of Northern Brewer at 15, 10 and 5 minutes. Didn't have any pale ale malt anymore, so had improvise a bit with extra pilsner malt, munich and wheat to get the same colour (7 EBC). And my own invert syrup.

Brewed a Lager today. Sort of a German Pilsner with a bit of Amber Malt. I used 4kg of Bohemian Pilsner and 0.5kg Amber. Hopped to 27 IBU with Saaz. Using Saflager W-34/70. OG 1.042. Expecting it to be around 4.5% ABV.

Will be re-using the yeast cake for a Baltic Porter.

Had a go at a small batch of Exmoor Gold. Have to say, my few previous attempts at English pale ales/golden ales weren't wonderfully successful, but encouraged by positive comments here about this one, thought I'd give it a go. Target volume met, looks good, currently cooling prior to pitching.

Exmoor Gold pitched. I usually leave it till the next morning, but was able to cool this one sufficiently (garden trub of cold water) to do so today, so much the better. 11 litres @ 1045 (one point off), and 72% BHE; I'm pleased with that, it's about as good as I can get.

Mangrove jacks juicy IPA with 1.2kg of mangrove jacks liquid malt extract.
Temperature at 21 degrees and unsure whether to add the hops later as I really liked it without. ???

IMG_20211023_221458518.jpg

IMG-20211023-WA0005.jpeg

Latest posts

Back