What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small batch of Irish stout. The last one went a bit wrong, didn't taste like a stout, more a porter I suppose. I checked back, and somehow the recipe had got changed by Chinese whispers from the previous iteration. Why did it have Carafa III in it? :confused.: So back to a simpler recipe this time. I really don't like the term 'Guinness clone' (or, indeed, 'anything' clone), hence I referred to the last one as 'Irish stout' but it didn't taste much like that. So to avoid confusion, I'm going to call this variation The GC.

I figure, with a classy name like that, it can't fail!

Last edited:
Following up from yesterdays post Foreign Extra Stout (post 4,979) I used 650 ml of wort saved from the trub for souring. Put it on top of the fridge in the kitchen and today fermentation has started.
001.JPG

Well I actually brewed it yesterday after work but only just cooled enough to get a gravity ready. A Crossmyloof Irish Red Ale kit. I have brewed the 1 gallon version of this a couple of times and being very happy with the results so decided to do a 10L one.

All in all apart from it taking longer than I expected (I have gotten used to the much quicker times to heat sparge water, bring to the boil the wort etc. when I do1 gallon batches). In the end 9L into The fermentor, I considered topping up but given how abysmal my efficiency often is I decided to leave as is. OG came in at 1.057 3 points above target but nothing I am overly concerned about.

https://www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk/beer-recipes?pgid=krxkwatx-39120983-8bed-46a8-a8da-1ecb966dc002

It’s a COVID brew day today (my daughter is positive not me) - a Mexican Lager. Basically the GH recipe but with Magnum and Liberty instead of Northern Brewer and Crystal.

Also using WLP Mexican Lager for the first time, I’ve just used Lallemand Diamond my last couple of attempts at this.

Fingers crossed, it certainly smelled amazing when it was going into the fermenter

Christmas beer brewed at the weekend (20litres).
First time adding spices to a beer so not going too wild.
Took the recipe from a James Morton book and adapted it to the hops I had available.
2 Days in to fermentation and it's 75% of the way to target already at 1.025.

Winter Warmer - 6.0%
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.014

Malts (4.85 kg)
4.5 kg
(85.2%) — Crisp Maris Otter — Grain — 6 EBC
170 g (3.2%) — Crisp Crystal light — Grain — 148 EBC
90 g (1.7%) — Crisp Chocolate Malt — Grain — 1045 EBC
90 g (1.7%) — Crisp Wheat Malt — Grain — 3.5 EBC
Other (430 g)
430 g
(8.1%) — Honey — Sugar — 2 EBC — Boil — 5 min

Hops (41 g)
22 g
(17 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5.5% — Boil — 60 min
10 g
(3 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5.5% — Boil — 10 min
9 g
— Target 11% — Boil — 0 min

Miscs
1 tsp
— Cinnamon Powder — Primary
1 tbsp
— Ginger Root — Primary
50 ml
— Vodka — Primary

Yeast
1 pkg
— Lallemand (LalBrew) London English-Style ESB 72%

Fermentation
Primary — 20 °C
14 days

Brewed a Belgian IPA last night, it's my take on a beer swapped with @dave_77 using all English hop's

5kg Maris otter
300g wheat
150g Cara gold

First gold, archer and Godiva hops
Yeast WLP 550
OG 1.052
Undecided weather I should keg or bottle this beer.

Latest posts

Back