What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I brewed a Best Bitter, based on the 5 points BB but this time I went with WLP023 Burton rather than the WLP013 London Ale Yeast

3.4Kgs Maris Otter
160g Amber
160g Crystal Medium
160g Wheat Malt

Hopped with Fuggles at 60 mins, 15 mins and 20 minute hopstand, hit my target OG of 1.045 though was a litre short in the FV at 19 litres.

Today I brewed a Best Bitter, based on the 5 points BB but this time I went with WLP023 Burton rather than the WLP013 London Ale Yeast

3.4Kgs Maris Otter
160g Amber
160g Crystal Medium
160g Wheat Malt

Hopped with Fuggles at 60 mins, 15 mins and 20 minute hopstand, hit my target OG of 1.045 though was a litre short in the FV at 19 litres.
How many grams of Fuggles did you add at each stage?.

Finishing a session pale before heading to work!
image.jpg

I brewed 10 litres of West Indian Porter
Maris otter
Roast barley
Flaked barley
Crystal 140
Molasses & Golden syrup
Target hops
CML Five yeast
Will add 20g of oak chips soaked in rum into 2FV

Over the weekend, I made my first attempt at a Lager (ish) which I wholly expect to be a disaster. Also a Brown Porter which I have far higher expectations for. 8l of each approximately.
People make lagers out to be more difficult than they are. As long as your processes are good and you have decent temperature control it’ll be a good beer.

People make lagers out to be more difficult than they are. As long as your processes are good and you have decent temperature control it’ll be a good beer.
Temp control is the issue... It's in a cold shed and there's a cold snap coming... Everything a lager wants right?
Like I said, not expecting premium results, just done to see what will happen, for a bit of fun and to use the yeast that I had.

22 litres of Landlord
4700g MO
20g Black malt
25g each of EKG and Styrian Golding @60m
25g SG @15 m
25g EKG @ whirlpool 90C for 20m
Yeast The Firm & 1/2 pack of Gervin
OG 1048 70% BHE

Today Brewed Woodfordes Wherry All grain clone
Fermentables
Maris Otter Crystal Dark Caramalt
Mash Steps
Mash Step 1 Mash Out
Hops
Northdown (IBU: 27.3)
Styrian Celeia (IBU: 29.9)
Yeast
British Pale Ale #2
Amount Usage
3.55 kg (85%) Mash 0.45 kg (11%) Mash 0.19 kg (4%) Mash
PPG EBC
38.0 5.9 35.1 323.6 34.2 29.6

Greg Hughes' Japanese Rice Lager; 15 litres thereof to try to use up my bag of Sorachi Ace. Trouble is, it uses so little that I'll need to make another few batches to get rid of the stuff!
Has anybody else tried this recipe?

Greg Hughes' Japanese Rice Lager; 15 litres thereof to try to use up my bag of Sorachi Ace. Trouble is, it uses so little that I'll need to make another few batches to get rid of the stuff!
Has anybody else tried this recipe?
I’ve brewed the recipe twice first time with noble hops and it was really nice. Second go used Sorachi and it was horrible went down the drain and hops in the bin.

Last edited:
Greg Hughes Southern Brown Ale

I’m not actually sure what the difference between this and a Mild is (lots of crystal malt and some chocolate Malt, low hopping level with Fuggles) but non the less I rather liked the look of this recipe so will see how it turns out.

I’ve got a day off today, all of my chores are out of the way, so I’m doing a no-sparge American blonde.

4.25kg pale malt

10g Amarillo 20mins
15g Amarillo 10mins
25g Amarillo flameout
25g Mandarina Bavaria flameout

I made the rookie mistake of making a lager a fortnight ago right before I finished off 2 kegs, so my ferm fridge is in use for the next few weeks

I’m going sans temperature control this time as a result - I’m using 2 sachets of CML Five to minimise the impact of any temperature fluctuations!

Last edited:
I have the mash on for another attempt at a Neipa
3kg pilsner
2kg Maris otter
500 wheat
1kg oats

Hops I have 100g Simcoe, 100g talus, 150g citra. I haven't worked out a schedule yet but it's looking like a 80g hops stand @80 degrees. The rest will be dry hop, not sure weather to split or just one dry hop at the end.
Verdant IPA yeast

20211119_154110.jpg

A bit late with the update as I had to go visit mother..
Five points over target! Well...its Amber!
Back to the grind stone tomorrow...I could do with a rest,I've been run ragged on my four off. Time for a couple of early beers.

Back