What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could I get a look at the west Indian porter recipe 👍
10 litres
2200g MO
180g Flaked barley
180g Roasted barley
80g Dark crystal
75g Molasses & 75g Golden syrup ( should have been 150g Molasses)
12g Target @60m
12g Target @15m
CML five yeast
After transfer to2FV added 20g of oak chips soaked in rum for a couple of days. Edit left them in for 6 days.
OG 1052 FG 1008
ABV 5.8%.
I did no sparge and my BHE was only 60%.

Am just bottling my Solomon Grundy Gold Chardonnay - blimey it's good. I had to leave it for 2 weeks after putting the finings in and degassing it mostly due to having covid and it is so clear and really tasty - will leave it an extra 2 weeks all the time now.

Brewing a Belgian hoppy blonde/pale

4.7kg pilsner
300g wheat

30g traditional @FWH
35g Saaz@10mins
30g Kazbek@flameout

70g dry hop of Kazbek
Yeast WLP 550
OG 1.046

Just coming up to the boil. Writing this before I forget.

Last edited:
Pushing the boat out again @Rodcx500z
IMG_20211130_213248314.jpg

That's the way to do it, land of the brave, on a sadder note tragic news about Ray Kennedy RIP YWNWA
Sad surely, I was reading up about him today. What a player, long before my time
My son and nephew are going to the game tomorrow night. One a red the other a blue. Funny enough I have two brothers who support Everton

IMG_20211201_180741.jpg

End hopping stage of the brewing proper.
30 min. whirlpool at 75c with the Ernest in my modified Hopcat. The inside of the 'drain tap' has a rt. angle bend with the spout threaded on.
Lovely swirl.
The Brew is the 2nd and toned down version of Hoppy Pale Ale of Kent.
Also did a bit more water chemistry modifications.
Doesn't the temperature come down fast, even with a short SS coil chiller after the weather we've been having!

Brewed a belgian leffe clone on Monday. V
Was cold in my brew shed but the brew went off without and problems.
Hit target gravity SG1070 and its fermenting like a steam train if it hits final gravity its going to be around 7%.

Checking my Grey Sheep today, it came in at 1044 OG for 15.7 litres, giving a BHE of 72%. Pleased with that.

View attachment 58540
End hopping stage of the brewing proper.
30 min. whirlpool at 75c with the Ernest in my modified Hopcat. The inside of the 'drain tap' has a rt. angle bend with the spout threaded on.
Lovely swirl.
The Brew is the 2nd and toned down version of Hoppy Pale Ale of Kent.
Also did a bit more water chemistry modifications.
Doesn't the temperature come down fast, even with a short SS coil chiller after the weather we've been having!
Any more details of the modified "drain" tap? Been thinking along the same lines....

Brewed a Dry Irish Stout using the Craft Beer & Brewing recipe. Basically a familiar 70/20/10 recipe but 2% Acid malt, a 50/50 split of CTZ and EKG hops at 60 mins (smelt pretty good) and fermented with WY1007. Feel like this is a pretty versatile yeast!

22 litres of 5 Point Bitter
3700g MO
200g Crystal 45L
200g Wheat malt
300g Biscuit
50g Fuggles @75m
20g Fuggles @15m
40g Fuggles @ 90C whirlpool for 20m
Gervin/Wilco yeast @19C
OG 1045
IBU 43.5
SRM 8

Any more details of the modified "drain" tap? Been thinking along the same lines....

Hi @eyuptm ,
On the outside the drain tap adaption is really simple.
Unscrew the spigot, screw on a preferred connector for a 1/2 silicone tubing. I use plumber's white tape on the threads.
Hazelwood Brewery uses quick connections, I use camlock.
On the inside it needs an elbow and threaded connector to the inside of the drain tap.
Then I screwed back on the spigot on the end of this.
My photo shows this (with malt cylinder in place) .
The pipe connects flow to this from the top tap of the recirculation pipe
IMG_20211202_170219.jpg

IMG_20211202_170547.jpg

IMG_20211202_174241.jpg

I think I discussed this with @RoomWithABrew who uses a narrow tube and bends it to direct the flow more accurately.
The other mod. follows
Ace/Hopcat/Klarstein Sightglass, Sparge and Wirlpool Mod
Which is much more involved and needs hole drilling of the lower SS body of the vessel (has pump and electrics, not liquid) but does give access to the pump 'in and out' remotely for the reasons he lists.
My finished connections look like this close-up.

IMG_20211202_170738.jpg

Mgkpancake goes a stage further and removes the pump completely outside to give total routing and cleaning access.

Ace Microbrewery/Klarstein/Hopcat Pump Mod

Some contributions here say that at our scale the whirlpool is of most use as a coil cooling enhancer, and perhaps a hop oil utilisation aid. Not really much use for forming a 'hop cone', that's in commercial sized vessels.
Have fun with whatever you do, or don't bother to do!
Regards,
Robin.

Last edited:
Hi @Hazelwood Brewery
Hi HB,
I see you are experimenting with using hops in the mash.
Being a typically bucket chemist, I thought I would chuck in 10g Citra to the 60 min mash at 66°C, followed by a 30 min 78°C mashout.
The aroma was rather good.
As they were all mixed with the Grain and removed with it, they weren't boiled.
I think I saw you say these don't add any boil bittering, so they do not need calculating in to the total IBU sum.
Did I get that right?

FYI Charles Faram have a technical discussion paper on Thiols, if you haven't already seen it.
I only noticed it whilst doing a hop variety data sheet search, so haven't read it.
But I will.
Regards,
Robin.

Last edited:
Hi again,
Done a little thread history digging and found it was from
RoomWithABrew
Under the topic thread:
Sparging in an all in one system
Oct 6th 2021, post #38

"Been doing the tap whirlpool reverse for a while now.

IMG_20210508_080224.jpg

I have a bit of stainless tube slightly compressed and bent to get the flow away from the wall better. You can see my trubtrapper in the bottom here as well.

Picture of trubtrappers and after transfer

IMG_20210530_172537.jpg

I was running the coolossus before the whirlpool.

Recently though I've changed the tap out and put a half inch ball valve in and a 3 way on the recirc pipe, this allows whirlpool alone, coolossus and whirlpool and then coolossus and hop missile ( used as a filter with grain bag and oat hulls to catch the cold break before transfer). I can also put the hop missile on the recirc or before the coolossus to use as a hop back. Using hop missile as a filter means I can pretty much pump to dry.

IMG_20210909_005235.jpg

IMG_20210909_111017.jpg

I do not use the kit at this height but have it all on the floor.
Changing from reverse flow tap to half inch ball valve has improved the flow a lot."

Attachments

• 1638537910747.gif
    1638537910747.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 16
  • 1638537910866.gif
    1638537910866.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 20
Yesterday.
Got a mangrove jacks lager and mangrove jacks golden ale on the go.

IMG-20211203-WA0000.jpeg

Got a new brew bucket from the range, nice quality for £9.99
Bought 5 mangrove jacks kits from @Brew2bottle Homebrew
Good price on offer with dextrose.
Good service and delivery as always.
Just one thing brew2bottle.
The 5 packs of dextrose and 1 of extra dark malt were wedged in between the kit boxes and one dextrose bag split on a corner of a box.
I managed to save it with little spillage but just to let you know as your usually spot on with packaging 👍

Latest posts

Back