What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A second batch of CML Chills Pills Larger, I previously brewed a gallon of this but decided to up it to 10L, while it’s still cold enough to brew larger without refrigeration.

One thing I was particularly impressed by was the Lubelski hops I had never heard of the variety before, (a Polish variety derived from Saaz it would seem), and would be tempted to try them in a Saison come the summer.

I made a batch of that Exmoor Gold some time back, and to be honest the result was pretty meh. I have never been able to produce anything really successful in the English pale ale/golden ale style, for some reason. Everybody seems to love it, so obviously it's me that's the problem, not the recipe. I think I shall largely stick to stouts and bitters in 2022.
My first go at Exmoor Gold turned out very good..its in a pb in the shed...waiting til I finish for Christmas.
I went with...
Crisp maris otter...5kg
Challenger 40g @7.5% @ 60
EKG 25g @ 5% @ 10
Celeia 20g @hopstand @ 76c
OG 1.048
FG 1.011
IBU 40
Wilko Gervin/ Notty

Brewed a Belgian dubbel last night
4.5 kg pilsner malt
500g abbey malt
400g wheat
200g special B
150g Cara aroma
50g chocolate
500g dark Candi sugar (home-made)

15g Magnum@60mins
35g styrain gold @10mins

Yeast WLP 550
OG 1.060

Liked it so much the last time that I made a split decision to make the GH American IPA again instead of a porter loosely based on hokum stomp.

American cream ale.

80% pale malt, 10% terrified wheat, 10% flaked maize. Saaz 11IBU at 60min, 4IBU at 15min. WLP090-San Deigo Super Yeast.
25L in fermenter at 1.046

1330489C-3C7D-4D88-9C8B-88192FAA1646.jpeg

In a busy day today, I did the full trifecta! :D

pizza1.jpeg

sour2.jpeg

gum1.jpeg
The last one may look a bit dubious, but I'm sure it'll be fine! :D

Brewed a user upper yesterday. The ale yeast I ordered failed to arrive so I had a change of plan and made a cali common
type steam beer with a pack of MJ54 I had left.
15L batch. EBC 26.5 IBU 44
Extra pale MO, MO, Munich, extra dark Crystal and Cara malts
Bittered with Admiral, l5 min addition and hopstand with Cascade.
OG to recipe at 1.052, pitched at 18c and now fermenting in fridge - last brew of the year !

Brewed a longhorn IPA clone today.
First time using water treatment and the brewzilla whirlpool arm.
OG was 1053 instead of the expected 1047 so I need to update my efficiency in brewfather as I seem to be getting better with the bz.

First brew with my Ispindel Christmas present - it is so exciting to see how the fermentation is progressing!

NEIPA today. I didn’t have enough torrefied wheat to do a NEIPA and a witbier so I subbed in some malted wheat. I probably should have used some rice hulls - I didn’t have a stuck mash or sparge but it was a bit sluggish.

5kg Crafty Maltsters Pop’s Pale
300g wheat malt
700g flaked oats

25g each of Citra, Nelson, Azacca and Galaxy at flame out.

I’m using WHC Juice Machine yeast for the first time - manufacture date was only last month so I’ve not bothered with a starter.

Last edited:
Today I planned to rack my Gumballhead II into demi-johns. I generally do a 'three demi-john' batch size (ie, around 15 litres). But it was so lively (and the batch was a bit bigger, maybe 16 litres), that it foamed up right up into the airlocks. I had to take action sharpish and divvy the beer up between four demi-johns rather than three. And all four are now plinking away very vigorously. Usually, by the time I transfer to demi-johns, activity has slowed right down, but not in this case!

dj1.jpeg

Gravity at transfer was 1014 (from an OG of 1047), but it clearly has some way to go yet! The batch has had a couple of days of dry-hopping (now removed) which partially explains it, I think.

A one gallon batch of a Mystic-Maris Otter Smash (or Mystic Otter for short) not exactly complicated 1 KG of Maris Otter and a 60 minute and 5 minute addition of Mystic. I’m fermenting with CML PIA and plan to do a three day dry hop with some more Mystic.

I am planning to make this the first of a number of one gallon smashes with some of the newer English Hops (will probably use Jester next) in the hope of getting a good Summer beer.

Racking the next batch of Flakey Bitter. I'm dry-hopping half of them (as shown) as a trial; I'm going with 7 g of Styrian Goldings per d-j.

dry hop2.jpeg

Did a batch of ESB this morning and now just mashing in coffee chocolate porter.
This evening I'll be bottling my bourbon stout. Busy day for me!

Last edited:
Last brew of the year and first for a long while mashing in ATM.
4.5kg pale malt which I have had for a while.
150g of acidulated malt
20g of chocolate malt
60 min mash
No bittering hops as they will be flameout and whirlpool and will be either citra Amarillo or cascade and have a selection of yeast so will see how it goes...

Attachments

• PXL_20211230_173946545.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211230_173946545.MP.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20211230_174004685.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211230_174004685.MP.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 19
B4A62A9E-1243-462F-AC28-204E0114952B.jpeg
Just mashing in my final brew of 2021 and it’s a Dunkel (hops are Hersbrucker and yeast is CML Hell).

I’m a tad worried that their is talk of it being very mild New Year’s Eve but hopefully not too warm for a larger yeast.

I'm making a lager too, a bock. I plan to get a few lagers on.
3 kg Munich 1
2.5 kg pilsner
500g caramunich 1
60g carafa 2

I'm looking for OG around 1.065 and an FG around 1.012 for a beer knocking on 7% ABV. Will mash quite low hoping for a relatively highly fermentable wort.

Tettnanger to 25 IBU with equal additions at 60 and 30 mins. I'm trying CML Hell yeast x2. @ 12 degrees C - never used liquid yeast for lager as I only have a 2 litre flask for starters.

I've a get er brewed experimental Californian larger kit on with an ionized liquid hop,if with a dry hop addition after 10 days.
Californian larger yeast....
Have ordered a English pale ale Extract kit,as well as Biab starter kit with an all grain blonde ale recipe.
Want to get away from the all in 1 kits.

Attachments

• 1640948516765313854152514822329.jpg
    1640948516765313854152514822329.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back