What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homebrew purists please don't read this. So I put the water on to brew a tripel, it's my youngest birthday. Things did not go to plan, apparently my 6 year old is a queen. So basically we had a yes day.
Long story short I ended up brewing a raw hazy pale.
5kg Maris otter
1kg oat malt
300g wheat

Story gets better my drug dealer scales stopped working. So I have I had to eye ball the hop's. So I roughly went 60g Simcoe and 40g citra worldpool
If you ask your drug dealer nicely, I’m sure he’ll give you a new set.

Mashing in a Belgian tripel. The plan is to enter this into the LAB competition all going well

5.5kg
200g aromatic malt
1kg clear candy sugar

30g Magnum@60mins
20g Styrian Golding's@10mins
20g Styrian Golding's@flameout
5g coriander seeds@5mins

Looking to hit around the 1.075-1.080 mark.
Yeast WLP 550

Last edited:
Mashing in a Belgian tripel. The plan is to enter this into the LAB competition all going well

5.5kg
200g aromatic malt
1kg clear candy sugar

30g Magnum@60mins
20g Styrian Golding's@10mins
20g Styrian Golding's@flameout
5g coriander seeds@5mins

Looking to hit around the 1.075-1.080 mark.
Yeast WLP 550
So this finished at 1.078, so it's looking around 9% which is spot on. It's out in the garage now to chill 😊

I'm having a go a this Five Points bitter that's been mentioned lately. So far so good, I think.

20 litres Saison
4000g Maris Otter
300g Wheat malt
300g Honey malt
300g Rye malt

35g EKG @60m
30g Saaz at flame out/hop stand 20m
18g Satsuma peel @10m

CML Wallonia yeast @ 24C
OG 1052

Efficiency looks a tad low on the Five Points (can I blame the wheat? :D ); I didn't get the volume I hoped for. I think it's all good, though, the OG looks like it's going to be a bit high for the projected ABV, so I figure I can afford to dilute a bit, which will probably bring me back to target volume, near enough.

Second brew of the year 42 litres 'Currawong' Bitter.
8.5 kg Veloria Schooner pale malt.
0.400 kg Gladiator malt.
0.300 kg J White dark crystal. (late addition)
0.070 kg Voyager chocolate malt. (late addition)

20 g Target FWH
23 g Northern Brewer 20 mins.
25 g EKG 15 mins
Mash 60 mins @ 65 C.
Boil 60 mins.

003.JPG 002.JPG
Full volume mash, barely enough room for the late additions.
004.JPG
Up she goes for draining.
005.JPG
Putting the squeeze on the wort, almost 20 litres of water in the bucket plus me pushing down extracted not quite 3 litres of precious wort. That is almost half my boil loss so worth the effort. One of these days I will measure the gravity of the squeezed out wort, I am sure it will be higher than the wort which drained by gravity.

'Summer Solstice Golden Bitter'/Ale
21 litres of the above. ABV 4.3 IBU 33 SRM 6

5 kg Voyager Pale Compass.
200 g Gladiator dextrin malt.

30 g Styrian Goldings 60 mins
20 g Styrian Goldings 20 mins
20 g Styrian Goldings. 20 mins Hop stand.

001.JPG

I’ve got the day off today so thought I’d make a start on my first brew for the LAB open. Munich Helles. Had a bit of a nightmare already - thought I had a packet of light Munich (for this brew) and a packed of caramunich I (for a future Belgian beer) but it was 2 packs of Caramunich so I’ve subbed by 400g of Munich for 100g Caramunich and 300g pale malt.

1kg pils malt
3.5kg pale malt
100g Caramunich I

13g Magnum 45mins
25g Liberty flame out

CML Hell- nice long ferment for this one because my kegerator is full, I still have some commercial beer left from Christmas, and I’m counting calories so my beer intake has halved - I’m thinking I will probably keg this beer in late March/early April (in time to do LAB comp brew 2, which is a witbier).

I’ve got the day off today so thought I’d make a start on my first brew for the LAB open. Munich Helles. Had a bit of a nightmare already - thought I had a packet of light Munich (for this brew) and a packed of caramunich I (for a future Belgian beer) but it was 2 packs of Caramunich so I’ve subbed by 400g of Munich for 100g Caramunich and 300g pale malt.

1kg pils malt
3.5kg pale malt
100g Caramunich I

13g Magnum 45mins
25g Liberty flame out

CML Hell- nice long ferment for this one because my kegerator is full, I still have some commercial beer left from Christmas, and I’m counting calories so my beer intake has halved - I’m thinking I will probably keg this beer in late March/early April (in time to do LAB comp brew 2, which is a witbier).
I’ve only gone and overshot my target gravity by 6 points! My efficiency is 70% like clockwork and I’ve just hit 80% for the first time ever. It also means I’m too far over for Munich Helles which wouldn’t be a problem if it wasn’t for a competition so looks like I’m adding 2 litres back to dilute it.

Second brew of the year for me - Exmoor Gold clone with M36 Liberty Bell Yeast.
Looked lovely going into the FV.

Hit my 78% Brewzilla efficiency for the third straight brew.

Also started 23L of WinExpert Classic Sauvignon Blanc.

Red Ale. 23 litres.
ABV 4.5 IBU 28 SRM 14

5 kg Veloria Schooner pale malt.
0,40 kg Wheat malt.
0,30 kg Crystal 60L late addition
0,050 kg Roast barley late addition
0,20 Carapils late addition.

14 g Target 75 mins
15 g Fuggles 10 mins
15 g EKG 20 minute hop stand

003.JPG

I bottled my first brew this morning.
Coopers stout, it's in a cupboard with a small tube heater now. Kit says 7 days, but lots of people here saying 2 weeks (2+2+2)?.
I read and watched a few vids about head space, so this is how much i left...
Can't bloody wait to try it out.
I'm going to do a lager next, might buy the gear now and get it in the FV ASAP!

Attachments

• 20220122_121031.jpg
    20220122_121031.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 13
A90364BB-C00F-4DFA-ACCD-35D67EFC4D6D.jpeg
CML Hobbs Irish Red Ale this rapidly becoming a favourite of mine (batch number four) it’s just a descent malty tasty beer. Also I love the look and smell of a pot of boiling wort.

View attachment 61701
CML Hobbs Irish Red Ale this rapidly becoming a favourite of mine (batch number four) it’s just a descent malty tasty beer. Also I love the look and smell of a pot of boiling wort.
I did that kit awhile back and loved it, i must do another, is it the one with bobek hops, no just looked but it is a cracking ale

I did that kit awhile back and loved it, i must do another, is it the one with bobek hops
It’s crystal and cascade I’ve done it a few batches of it now and just really love it. I am lucky enough that my my mother keeps bees (and so can scrounge free honey) which means each batch has being made with a slightly different honey and it is surprising how much difference this makes to the flavour.

Latest posts

Back