What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a night on the Beamish and Guinness (Beamish is better), it's a refreshing pick-me-up.

Never seem to see Beamish any more (in England). I used to drink it when ever I could get it, as a young man, but haven't seen it on draught in donkey's years. Way back when (70s? 80s?) it was quite widely available.

In fact, their website says

"Beamish Stout is available on draught and in 500ml can throughout the the Republic of Ireland. At present we do not export to countries outside of Ireland."

What the reason is, I don't know. Tempting as it is to blame Brexit (Grr!), I doubt that's the reason, as Beamish scarcity long pre-dates Brexit.

IMG_20220619_181432.jpg

Brewed an American Pale yesterday, whilst drinking another! This one was a bit of a last minute decision. Fairly standard malt bill and using CMLs Falconers Flight blend. The guys don't even know what's in it! I went for 30g at 60mins. 30g at flame out and 70g at whirlpool at 80c. The remaining 100g or so will be a dry hop. Ran out of US 05 so went with MJ M44 West Coast instead.

It was very rare to see it in the North. A pub in the City Centre had it about 10 years ago and then got rid. Possibly because people were drinking it instead of Guinness because it was £2.45 a pint and Guinness was closer to £4 a pint. It was absent in the north until about a year ago. Now there are 2 pubs in the City Centre that sell it, that I know of. I contacted the brewery some years ago and they said it wasn't sold in the north but you could get Murphy's at the SSE Arena (where the Belfast Giants ice hockey team play). And that was it. Just one bar in the whole of the north had Murphy's!

Winter solstice today, perfect for brewing my Baltic Porter, a longer brew day trying to manage a 21 litre batch in a 70 litre kettle. 75 minute mash lots of stirring initially followed by an 80 minute boil. Late addition was the Munich 1 and Weyermann Carafa 2. 1,069 og predicted clocked in at 1,070 roughly a 7 hour brew day would have been longer if it wasn't a full volume mash.
A rewarding pint of ESB at the end of it.
001.JPG

002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

The day after the Baltic Porter (about 14 hours after pitching yeast) relieved there wasn't any lag time. Sitting nicely in the middle of fermentation temperature 12-15 C

001.JPG
002.JPG

35th brewday only the 2nd on the Grainfather. Latest version of my Vienna APA.

55% Best Pale
35% Vienna
5.5% Torrified Wheat
4.5% Carapils

Simcoe and Mosaic - all late additions (15,5,Hopstand) then dry hop

Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast

Aiming for 19L in the FM bucket
Target OG of 1054 (5.6% abv)
54 IBUs

We will see how it goes!

Crossmyloof Tropical England 19L Kit

Bought this on a whim, used Admiral as a bittering hop then a hop blend of ‘5 English grown hops including Jester, Olicana, Godiva, Mystic & Archer’ at 15, 10, 5 and 1 minute plus a large dry hop,with the same blend.

My efficiency was 62% giving me an OG of 1.053 yeast wise I have subbed out the provided Atlantic yeast for a packet of dried HORNINDIAL Kveik yeast so should be kegging in a few days and drink8ng in a couple of weeks all being well.

Last edited:
The elderflower is in flower so I did a grisette. First brew using a pump and plate chiller, a bit 'exciting' at times (glad of my tiled floor...) but otherwise fine, right on the money for volume and gravity.

OG 1031
30 litres
Styrian Wolf
Hersbrucker Mittelfruh
Elderflower
Mangrove Jack's M29 Saison pitched at 26°C

Attachments

• 20220625_102227.jpg
    20220625_102227.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220625_131213.jpg
    20220625_131213.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
Finally bottled my stout 29 long necks a pint and a stubby (would've got 30 long necks but it didn't look promising) Enough left for a taste, a definite taste of the sour but the bitterness sweetened by the priming sugar.

001.JPG

Brewed a Belgian Blonde today - have brewed it a little short to see the difference for a change. Got the ingredients in an all grain pack from The Malt Miller.

Done the same recipe before and it tasted awesome but have ditched pressure barrels now they were too unreliable so will be bottling this time.

I brewed my IPA today raised my IBU on the Tinseth scale to 75 IBU's with the discrepancy pointed out with the SMPH model I should be somewhere in the region of 40 to 45 IBU🤞
90 minute boil OG 1,058. Clean up and gear stowed and a stubby of it's little brother, an ESB.
003.JPG

002.JPG
004.JPG

Crossmyloof Tropical England 19L Kit

Bought this on a whim, used Admiral as a bittering hop then a hop blend of ‘5 English grown hops including Jester, Olicana, Godiva, Mystic & Archer’ at 15, 10, 5 and 1 minute plus a large dry hop,with the same blend.

My efficiency was 62% giving me an OG of 1.053 yeast wise I have subbed out the provided Atlantic yeast for a packet of dried HORNINDIAL Kveik yeast so should be kegging in a few days and drink8ng in a couple of weeks all being well.

Brewed this one on Sunday, also used Admiral to bitter, I used Atlantic though, interested to hear how it turns out, it sounds great!

Checked my Mosaic and Citra IPA on day 11 for gravity.
I used Verdant IPA yeast for first time, described by the man at my LHBS as a heavy top fermenter it has left a spectacular Krausen, although fermented out chugging down to 1.008 from 1.056.
Dry hopped with more Mosaic, ran out of Citra stupidly and considered adding some EKG leaf I had left but thought better of it.
Sample very nice, looking forward to kegging this !

Back