What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Half hearted clone of Fullers London Pride.
Batch size 21 litres, OG 1,047 FG 1,011 IBU 57.8 Tinseth 35 IBU SMPH Mash pH 5.3

4.50 kg Gladfield Ale Malt
0,20 kg Crystal light late addition
0.10 kg Crystal dark late addition
0.02 kg Chocolate malt late addition
0.250 kg Gladiator malt late addition
18 g Ella 60 mins
15 g Challenger 15 mins
15 g Northern Brewer 15 mins

Mash 90 mins @65 C Boil 60.

003.JPG

After the clean up a well deserved long neck of EIPA.

005.JPG

Yesterday I made up a Dick Dastardly Dunkel Hefeweizen full extract kit from the Homebrew Company. Had an OG = 1.042. It’s bubbling away up in our Hot Press.

11/07/2022 - Assimilate this v2 - kviek ipa - brew 74

20g of simcoe 8 mins boil from 80c then 25 mins hop stand
3kg dme extra light
500g dwe.
MJ kviek yeast directly pitched directly into 22 liters at 33.4c
3 day 80g simcoe dry hop
1.060 og all corrected

23/07/2022 fg 1.011 = 6.43% - 18.84 liters bottled

just what I wanted, Mrs DOJ said its "B100dy delicious" so I don't see the batch lasting too long :oops:

Attachments

• imgly_6375870470330849157[1].jpg
    imgly_6375870470330849157[1].jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Half hearted clone of Fullers London Pride.
Batch size 21 litres, OG 1,047 FG 1,011 IBU 57.8 Tinseth 35 IBU SMPH Mash pH 5.3

4.50 kg Gladfield Ale Malt
0,20 kg Crystal light late addition
0.10 kg Crystal dark late addition
0.02 kg Chocolate malt late addition
0.250 kg Gladiator malt late addition
18 g Ella 60 mins
15 g Challenger 15 mins
15 g Northern Brewer 15 mins

Mash 90 mins @65 C Boil 60.

View attachment 72507

After the clean up a well deserved long neck of EIPA.

View attachment 72508
This morning, giving the yeast a free rein for the first 3 days, hence the cling wrap. A great sight to see the yeast has taken off.

001.JPG

Well I did the Vienna. Quite dark in colour, but not surprising considering the amount of crystal, and as the colour of crystal always seems to be a bit of a moveable feast....I was slightly low on that anyway, and topped it off with a lirrle Caramunich I had in the cupboard. BHE a rather disappointing 62%, but I did leave a fair amount of wort behind, in the interests of minimal sediment and max clarity. But nice and clear at pitching, and a pleasant amber-ish colour too, with an OG fractionally down on target @ 1049.

Checked gravity on my latest Pilsener today. It's first time using a true lager yeast , Lalbrew Diamond.
It has reached predicted 1.010 after 12 days fermenting at 12c.
Sample nice and clear though still plenty of yeast in suspension, tasted very promising.

Would like to hear peoples thoughts on how to go from here ?
My thought was to rack to a clean FV and leave to lager at 2c for another couple of weeks before kegging
and subsequent conditioning at same temperature.
Or leave as is skipping another FV, though I usually transfer of yeast cake before cold crash and kegging as
I find it results in brighter beer.

Checked gravity on my latest Pilsener today. It's first time using a true lager yeast , Lalbrew Diamond.
Sample nice and clear though still plenty of yeast in suspension, tasted very promising.

My thought was to rack to a clean FV and leave to lager at 2c for another couple of weeks before kegging
Or leave as is skipping another FV, though I usually transfer of yeast cake before cold crash and kegging as
Curly straw through the airlock bung..

Mild, one of my favourite beers, and my first time at trying to do a full 23L batch, recipe wise I am using the Greg Hughes recipe although subbing the Mild malt with Vienna and upping the grain bill a tad to compensate for my lowish efficiency. Yeast wise the plan is to use Voss not sure how this is going to turn out as previous batches I used London III but with the high temperatures forecast for next week I reckon it is a lower risk than using a more conventional yeast but will just have to wait and see.

Did you do a diacetyl rest mate, I'm no expert on lagers but I usually bring my temp up to 18c for a few days before cold crashing, lagering in bottle.

Did you do a diacetyl rest mate, I'm no expert on lagers but I usually bring my temp up to 18c for a few days before cold crashing, lagering in bottle.
Not as yet, finished and still sitting at 12c.
Sample didn't have any taste of diacetyl but a rest at 18c sounds a good idea to be on safe side - cheers mate !

Well brew day yesterday went a little too well with my mild coming in at 1.039 instead of 1.036 suppose I will live with it but annoying as I really want a sub 4% beer, ah well.

Well brew day yesterday went a little too well with my mild coming in at 1.039 instead of 1.036 suppose I will live with it but annoying as I really want a sub 4% beer, ah well.

Can't you just chuck half a litre of so of water in it?

I racked off my Vienna, gravity was 1010, don't imagine it will drop much lower (and I didn't expect it to drop this far), so will be coming in around the 5.1% ABV mark I think.

Back