What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a stupid question, for mine!

It is the "original" filter, I think.

On the beer before this one, a Wheat Beer, there was 2.4k of wheat and it was clear and obvious that the small volume of hops were not sufficient to keep the break material away from the filter.

On this one, with half the amount of wheat malt and 55g of hops, I think it may still have been a factor.

The attachment of the end plasticky thing could also be an issue, I feel, hence my question about getting some mesh to help keep it in place in future.
The new filters aren't overly expensive and they're a huge improvement over the original, might be worth looking at?

Back from holiday and can't believe the mancave is so empty.

Whacked on a WIlko Newkie Brown (which I've heard mixed reviews about, frankly, but just made an impulse snatch).

Shoved in 1kg of Muntons Brew Enhancer, about 250g of brown sugar, and a bit of honey - about 1.054 before pitching the yeast.

It's nice to see a fermenter in the kitchen again.....I'm sure the missus will be just as chuffed when she comes in and sees it (and then realises there is footy on the box tonight....and tomorrow.....and Sunday).

mwahahaaha etc.

3 wks and a bit on.............bottles 41 pts tonight. Came out at 1.010 so 5.7 or so.

Tasted smashing. :thumb:

Brewed my 3rd attempt at an NEIPA today.
Using equal measures of cascade, azacca & denali & Wyeat London III for the 1st time.
:cheers:

Last night's brew exmoor gold clone. First brew on the ace. Went fairly well had a couple of minor issues with programing and temp calibration for boiling but apart from that all good. May do a brewday post. Did take a couple of picks. Bubbling away first thing this morning. Nice.

Made a english IPA ,not made a lot of these so looking forward to the end result, running at 50 ibu,6.3 abv and dry hopped at the end should be a powerful one.

This may go horribly wrong..:whistle:

got this going today....

Found a coopers stout "in stock".:lol:

It was out of date so i thought id do an experiment, got nothing to lose apart from my time and the sugars.:?::?::?:

500 g enhancer
100 g medium spray malt
100 g choc powder
100 g treacle
250 g muscovado

I will keep you posted....:thumb:

Its off like a train got it sitting at about 24deg.
Didn't do a SG due to not wanting to risk any nasties getting in, so it should be ready for bottling in 5-7 days.

I may keg it though just in case it goes wrong then i haven't got to clean and sterilise 40 bottles twice , anybody got any thoughts as i've always bottled my stout.

So it's brewday... Finally!!!

The in-laws have been staying so couldn't get all the kit out. They finally went back to Spain!

So to celebrate I'm having a few and brewing a RIS for Xmas!

Splitting 3 times and adding seperately mint, orange and strawberries to a chocolate based stout.

e5309a56cafa7057f9627708da2e4467.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Its off like a train got it sitting at about 24deg.
Didn't do a SG due to not wanting to risk any nasties getting in, so it should be ready for bottling in 5-7 days.

I may keg it though just in case it goes wrong then i haven't got to clean and sterilise 40 bottles twice , anybody got any thoughts as i've always bottled my stout.

I always want to know my SG so that I know what alcohol percentage I have at the end and also how efficient my brew day was.
while filling my carboy I just lift the hose out of the carboy and allow some to flow into a cup without the hose touching anything... I have done this with every batch and not had an infection yet to date..
24C that's high, what yeast are you using?

So it's brewday... Finally!!!

The in-laws have been staying so couldn't get all the kit out. They finally went back to Spain!

So to celebrate I'm having a few and brewing a RIS for Xmas!

Splitting 3 times and adding seperately mint, orange and strawberries to a chocolate based stout.

e5309a56cafa7057f9627708da2e4467.jpg

Ah, the Peco boiler.
I use mine for BIAB ... cheap cheerful and just the job [emoji106]

Recipes sound scrumptious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After cropping my bines and ending up with 2.1 kilo of Fuggles, brewed my mk2 ESB, all of the hops went in (50Lbatch) working on an alpha of 3 and a wet to dry ratio of 8:1. Marvelous smells during the boil, the first home grown hop brew I have been able to do after losing my harvest last year due to mould.

Ah, the Peco boiler.
I use mine for BIAB ... cheap cheerful and just the job [emoji106]

Recipes sound scrumptious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah it's been a good investment so far. Brilliant bit of kit.

Wort tasted good and had an OG of 1080.
b0af252ba1f44a93768e1b3fb7073ca4.jpg

Dry stout. Mash on! Mashed in 5.450 kg of malt which is on the limits for my pot. Recipe asks for 67°c got 65 straight off so bumped it a bit with some extra hot water. I'm also going to leave it a bit longer than the hour as last time I gained quite a few points in efficiency. Hops..ekg at start of boiling for around 37 ibu. Yeast cml American ale.
I'll update as I progress! And yes,my pictures are fantastically ****!

20170909_092906.jpg

20170909_100636.jpg

20170909_104046.jpg

I always want to know my SG so that I know what alcohol percentage I have at the end and also how efficient my brew day was.
while filling my carboy I just lift the hose out of the carboy and allow some to flow into a cup without the hose touching anything... I have done this with every batch and not had an infection yet to date..
24C that's high, what yeast are you using?

Got the temp down now sitting at 22 and it has obviously slowed. With such a high risk brew i wanted to give the poor we thing as much chance at life as i could and i would normally take an SG reading. The yeast was in the kit i used the kit as is as i wanted to keep some control over why it may fail. I always wonder if putting a different yeast in would make a difference though?

Anyway its a hit and hope and it will all be in the taste, what do you think about kegging it? views welcome.

cheers for the help and d BTW much appreciated.

All done! Went smoothly in general...the sparge holding the bag on a cooker shelf is awkward and a bit messy though with that amount of grain...I can't justify the cost of a gf at the moment so a "proper" mash tun and larger boiler are on the shopping list...
This time I tipped the cooled wort through a sterilised mashing bag to catch the break material....there's some snotty bits there..
Target og for recipe was 1048 I managed 1045/46 so pleased with that!
Bhe..68.7%...

20170909_131254.jpg

20170909_134612.jpg

20170909_142110.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back