What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made my first all grain brew today, Old Speckled Hen from Roger Wheelers book, using my new Robobrew setup. All went well and it is now in the barrel maturing for Christmas or a little before.

You’re fermenting in a barrel?

So today we had our first smooth, completely uneventful, catastrophe free brew day. This was all grain brew #4 for us. A single hop Amarillo pale out of the GH book.
Hit the OG bob on at 1050 and just under a litre short in final volume in FV...
feeling smug and finally happy with our set up after a few tweaks......
it’ll probably taste like old socks though

So today we had our first smooth, completely uneventful, catastrophe free brew day. This was all grain brew #4 for us. A single hop Amarillo pale out of the GH book.
Hit the OG bob on at 1050 and just under a litre short in final volume in FV...
feeling smug and finally happy with our set up after a few tweaks......
it’ll probably taste like old socks though
It'll taste great.
I had a nightmare on my fourth brew, got a bit complacent and messed up grain weight. Made up for that with AG#5 (Northern Brown) which tastes great.

I reckon it's best to make mistakes early and get them under the belt because the brewing and the drinking becomes more enjoyable with greater knowledge. (Hoping so anyway)

Kenridge Classic Gewertztraminer and Kenridge Classic Vieux Chateaux du Roi. For Crimble (we drink it young because I can't get ahead!)

Had a brew day last Friday.

Style: CitraSaison
Recipe Source: Brew by Numbers via Craftbrew recipe book
Method: BIAB
Volume: 10l (that was the intention)

Fermentables:
844g Marris Otter Pale
630g Pilsen
506g Wheat
169g Flaked Wheat
113g Dextrose (added after boil)

Mashed at 65 degrees Celsius for 1 hour
Sparged at 80 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes

Hops:
4g Nuget (60 mins)
6g Citra (10 mins)
6g Citra (5 mins)
32g Citra (Whirlpool)

Pitched Belle Saison Yeast at 24 degrees Celsius. The recipe says to raise the temperature to 27 degrees Celsius after a couple of days. However, my fermentation chamber seems incapable of reaching this temperature. The highest it can get to up to now, is around 25 degrees Celsius.

OG: 1.048

Everything went relatively well, except for the temperature of the mash water. I used the Brewer's friend Strike Water calculator, but it was too high after mashing in. So I added cold water, it went too low. I added boiling water, it went too high. I then added cold water and it finally worked. The only problem is that this diluted the wort, with 11.5L being in the FV and the OG being 3 points lower than the intended 1.051 according to Brewers Friend.

I'm going to be Brewing 'The Big Belfast Blonde Ale' (from Geterbrewed) tonight using my brand new Robobrew. I'm a bit nervous as it's the first brew with this and it's only my second all-grain kit.

brewed today a cameron castle eden clone from the BYO British Real Ale book by Graham Wheeler god rest his soul. It has a few variants has did not have the exact hops but should be something like. Just done it for the memory of drinking it in the club across from the pit in the late eighties no longer there however the only thing with the recipe is it is not much darker than a lager ?

Made my first all grain brew today, Old Speckled Hen from Roger Wheelers book, using my nedo you mean the Graham wheeler book w Robobrew setup. All went well and it is now in the barrel maturing for Christmas or a little before.
Did you mean the Graham Wheeler book that I have just posted about?

Being short of a few AG ingredients to do a proper brew, I dug out a Festival Father Hooks bitter kit from the shed (its been there over a year).
I usually do 10L brews, so had to also dig out my 25L Wilko fermenting vessel. Then I found that it wont fit in the brew fridge aheadbutt
So had to adopt the 'seat of my pants' method, FV on kitchen table wrapped in rockwool roof insulation to keep the temperature up during the night.
Its bubbling away nicely this morning...athumb.. Happy days!
Should be done and ready for my Xmas visitors (I'll keep the AG brews to myself!)

Did 20 litres of an extra pale Galaxy/Motueka/Cascade session IPA today. Tasted fantastic from the sample tube. Will update my brewday thread later.

A mosaic pale ale currently boiling away, with a small amount of Vienna and biscuit malt to give it a bit more body. Should be a good 5% ish brew for Christmas.

Latest posts

Back