What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
25L Pale/IPA. Mostly Maris Otter with 500g Vienna and carapils, wheat and medium crystal. Magnum for bittering and 100g Enigma in late (45g dry hop to follow) US-05. Had to water it down as wasn’t expecting 77% efficiency from BIAB and 6.8% isn’t conducive to being able to watch a whole game of rugby

29/08/2019 - belgian dark ale - brew 52

1 kg medium dme
1kg extra dark dme
1kg extra light dme
500 dwe
500 clear candi rocks
500 carafa iii
500 aromatic
400 dark crystal malt
500g golden syrup

mash at 65 in 4 litres of liquor for 80 mins
4 litres strike water at 73 deg
10 mins boil add 100g ahtanum at flame out for 15 mins

1091 og pitched at 26
mj belgian ale yeast
looking at 10% ish - yay!

Brewed on Saturday: 5Gal of another "made-up" design, an 'homage' if you like, called "Steady Hopper", with an 8kg grain bill, and 300g of american & new world hops, 15g first wort, 20g flame out, 60g steeped, and the remainder being DDH'd at high krausen (<1.060) & 4 days (<1.025), with fermentation starting at 17C rising to a final 22C finishing temp.

ps. No idea what went wrong with my "fruity" Hazy IPA brewed just over 2 weeks ago! Crystal clear, no sediment at all, yet really subtle and very 'thin'. Ah, well! I now refer to ut as a table/light session IPA, as its still very drinkable, just nothing like planned.

IMG_20190830_145230.jpg 23l exmoor gold clone maris otter, Challenger, ekg and styria here it is in the sample jar.

Brewed my first ever belgian today, an orange blossom tripel. Its got a very simple grist of 100% pilsner malt, mandarin orange peel in the boil and going to add orange blossom honey once the krausen has dropped. Its hopped to about 37 ibu with citra and mosaic. Quite untraditional i know, but it smells amazing. Og should come out at about 1.080 once i've added the honey. Just hoping cml belgian ale yeast does its job well.
Not traditional but sounds really good!

Mashing out a low carbohydrate (diabetic friendly) pale just now. Attempting: OG - 1.034; FG - 0.996.

Small bittering addition to get ~20IBU and then 80g Amarillo/Mosaic steep at 70C to give the flavour. A 100g DH will likely follow.

Could be *****, but nothing ventured as they say:laugh8:

Bottled my ESB from GH that's been in the fermenter for 3 weeks and then, in a slight side step from brewing, pressed about 10 kilos of discovery apples that were going bad at work to make cider. Long, messy process but should be good, the juice certainly tasted nice athumb..

wouldn't mind seeing your AG Wherry recipe, is it from a book?
Thanks, Foxbat, and may I say how much I'm enjoying your Mainline Bitter- it has a completely different malt profile to mine and it's got me thinking again.
Yeah, it's from a book- my brewing notes: October 2004 just after we'd spent a fortnight in North Repps somewhere out where Sid Kipper sings. The (now) ex liked it. I'll post the recipe when I can see a bit better after having been next door to taste the lad's whisky.

I had a mammoth brew ‘night’,
Ended up with 30l of degassed and finned white wine, 15l ‘Clear up’ Hazy IPA using Kveik yeast, 5l experimental Xmas mead (using the other half of the Kveik yeast) and a 1l starter for Sunday’s dead pony club clone that I’m calling ‘Rotten Horse Gang’.

First time I’ve made a starter and rehydrates yeast. Wasn’t 100% sure if either had worked but seeing fermentation all round. Can wait to age the Mead and brew tomorrow.

Todays brew. A breakfast Neipa using lager malt, porridge oats and shredded wheat. Hopped with citra, El dorado and mosaic in a 3 temp stepped whirlpool of 82c, 76c and 71c ibus below 32 I hope. Got a packet of cml pia ready once it cools to pitching temp.

Did what's become my house pale, a knock-off of The Kernel's table beer based around this recipe: https://byo.com/recipe/the-kernel-brewerys-table-beer-clone/ though monkeyed around with to make it all grain (subbed in MO as the base malt, melanoidin for the Belgian aromatic and dextrine malt for the maltodextrin powder). It's a really lovely, easy drinking and very sessionable pint at around 3.9% for my version. You'd never guess it's so weak.

All done and cleared away by 12:45 too, a good brewday.

Brewed an ESB today, my usual house ale that I normally have in high stocks. brew in a basket, managed to get 74% eff, without and recirculation pump, 75 minute mash and stirred every 15 mins or so. for lower abv beers really like the ease of brew in a basket, paired with the Grainfather connect controller. acheers.

Back