What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due to brew Dennis Kings Galaxy Delight tomorrow: https://community.grainfather.com/recipes/325596

Will be adding water treatment when I get home and setting the mash to be ready for 10:00. Got a couple of assistants so hopefully one of us will remain sober enough not to fook it up to badly.

I'm looking forward to using my hop rocket instead of the hop stand for the first time.

Unplanned & unexpected brew day today (long story, not relevant here)

"Post Punk Lite"
I like Brewdog Punk IPA (who doesn't) but it's a bit too full on for me & can only drink one. So today I've done a toned down version of their published recipe. ~18L BIAB with (warm) jug sparge

90 min mash
3.2 kg Pale
1 kg Lager malt
165g Flaked barley
165g medium crystal

55 min boil
10g Ahtanum
10g Chinook
10min
15g Ahtanum
15g Chinook
whirlfloc
flameout
20g Simcoe
15g Nelson

Dry hop ~3 days
15g Nelson
20g Simcoe

S-05 Yeast

Og 1056 so should be good for upper 5% abv :)

As usual, will find out in about 5 weeks if it's any good

Old Peculiar Similar Brown Ale - 25l
5kg of Pale Malt
300g of Crystal Malt
175g of Chocolate Malt.

Boil:
15g of fuggles leaf
25g of Perle pellets

The original recipe calls for Goldings, but I substituted with Perle as this is what I had available.
Iv'e done this before on this recipe and it works just fine.

Aroma (last 10 minutes)
15g East Kent Goldings

OG 1.054

Niagara wheat beer
3000g Pilsner malt
3000g Wheat malt
200g Honey Malt
250g Maple syrup
Hopped with Willamette

However after I'd mashed my 30l boiler burned out at the temperature cutout so I had to "boil" in pans not for long though. The wre was burned through so ordered a new cutout and another boiler so if I fix the old one I'll have a spare.

Brewed nothing today but bottled 40 off IPA and 16 off California Common. Then went to pickup my new 30l boiler to replace my other that packed up.

I was wide awake this morning at 2am, so a bit of an Impromptu brewday commenced.

It didn’t start very well, when I felt the tug of the bottom seal in the grainfather as I was stirring the grain in. I can’t tell u how much I hate that design. Eventually got it all back on track And Made a lemon drop smash.

Never used this hop before so really went for it, 150g went into the kettle, mostly late additions.

O.G 1050
40 IBU
23L

All the numbers were spot on, works out 80% BHE without stirring the mash mid way, really doesn’t seem to make a difference if you do or don’t on the grainfather.

Added a sachet of M44

Plan to dry hop with 50g on day 3

2 brews today, both kits, but I tested out the Electrim for the boil. Worked a treat, thank you eBay.
1st Old Conkerwood, boiled for 30 mins, no sugar or enhancer, just the two cans, although I pitched a SA-04 yeast instead of the measly 7g sachet included with the kit,
2nd Coopers English Bitter, poured onto 1kg spraymalt after boiling for half an hour, and just waiting to pitch a sachet of GV12 that I bought last year, again replacing the small yeast sachet in the kit.
Might use those packets for some trial stuff, 10-15 litres
Check back later with progress!

Old Conkerwood showing 1050 @ 23c
English Bitter 1035 @ 25c
Any thoughts on some hop additions???

I've always done it, from when I started in the late 80s. I read it in a how-to book from that time, where it advised that every extract kit is improved by a boil. The only kits I haven't done that with are the 2 Mangrove Jack Pink Grapefruit IPAs.
These are the first tin kits I've done for a long time. However, all the stout kits I brewed in the 80s and 90s came to no harm from a boil; much regarded by friends and family in fact!
Not sure if I like your tone, really.

Yesterday, American Pale Ale.

1.15 kg White Wheat Malt
0.6 kg Maris Otter
0.23 kg white sugar
7 grams Centennial, 60 minutes
21 grams Centennial, flameout
S-04.

12 liters at 1.043

This batch and last were BIAB. Both did 85% efficiency. Thought the last batch was a fluke. Had to dilute the wort down to get my desired starting gravity.

All the Best,
D. White

A cheeky wee Galaxy pale.

Attachments

• 20191110_193459.jpg
    20191110_193459.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 163
  • received_578106406258776.jpeg
    received_578106406258776.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 157
I promised my dad I'd brew him a Guinness clone for over the Christmas period, so I'm going to get this on today. I'm not really a fan of the stuff but it's pretty much all he drinks. The commonly cited recipe seems to be a 70/20/10 ratio of pale/flaked/roasted barley so that's what I'm going for. I'm going to use a pressure barrel for this one, for only the second time ever, combined with a low carbonation level and a load of calcium chloride, I'm hoping I can get some sort of soft creaminess in the mouthfeel even if not the nitro head.

Guinness Clone
Dry Stout

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21
Total Grain (kg): 4.0
Total Hops (g): 30
Original Gravity (OG): 1.041
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.14 %
Colour (SRM): 31
Bitterness (IBU): 40
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill
----------------
2.800 kg Maris Otter Malt (70%)
0.800 kg Flaked Barley (20%)
0.400 kg Black Roasted Barley (10%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30 g Magnum (10.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes

Notes
----------------
Mash at 49 for 15 mins then 64 for 60 mins
Pitch at 18 and raise to 21 at 0.5 per day

I promised my dad I'd brew him a Guinness clone for over the Christmas period, so I'm going to get this on today. I'm not really a fan of the stuff but it's pretty much all he drinks. The commonly cited recipe seems to be a 70/20/10 ratio of pale/flaked/roasted barley so that's what I'm going for. I'm going to use a pressure barrel for this one, for only the second time ever, combined with a low carbonation level and a load of calcium chloride, I'm hoping I can get some sort of soft creaminess in the mouthfeel even if not the nitro head.

Guinness Clone
Dry Stout

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21
Total Grain (kg): 4.0
Total Hops (g): 30
Original Gravity (OG): 1.041
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.14 %
Colour (SRM): 31
Bitterness (IBU): 40