What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 10 1/2 hours with setting up and cleaning. Since there all malty brews I did 2 of them boiling for only half an hour to save time or I'd be in trouble with swmbo

Today's brew is an English Red IPA, using a similar recipe to my Red X IPA but with English hops and yeast this time:

English Red IPA
1.066 OG
1.017 FG
6.5% ABV
18 SRM
47 IBU
20L

5kg Red X Malt
500g Munich
200g Flaked Barley
150g CaraAroma
125g Biscuit Malt
125g Caramunich

30g Magnum 60 mins

25g Fuggles 15 mins
25g EKG 15 mins

25g Fuggles 80° steep
25g EKG 80° steep

50g Fuggles dry hop
50g EKG dry hop

Mash at 64°
Ferment with S-04 at 19°

This sounds interesting @strange-steve - been thinking of doing something similar but with a Maris Otter base.

Do you think Maris Otter with some medium crystal, caramalt, maybe some vienna and some cara-pils would work OK for a non-red variation?

This sounds interesting @strange-steve - been thinking of doing something similar but with a Maris Otter base.

Do you think Maris Otter with some medium crystal, caramalt, maybe some vienna and some cara-pils would work OK for a non-red variation?
I don't see why not :thumba:
I have to say though I'm loving this Red X malt, so rich and flavourful. I certainly recommend trying it.

Oskar RGB Dale’s Funktown Ale Clone

I wanted to brew a Dale's pale ale clone but couldn't get hold of WLP001 so went with WLP4627 Funktown Pale Ale

Best smelling ferment I've ever had.

Mash 66°C 90 mins
75°C 10 mins
Maris Otter Pale 4.8kg
Carahell (Weyermann) 0.24kg
Vienna Malt 0.20kg

Hops
Northern Brewer 47g 60 min
Columbus 22g 15 min
Centennial 46.2 Hop Stand
Centennial 44.8 Hop Rocket
Cascade 28g Dry hop 7 Days

Not brewed anything today, but my wife is off up north for 5 days on Sunday and I have five empty fermenters with a decent comp coming up early February. The airline she is flying with are having rolling strikes. Keeping my fingers crossed she gets away.
004.JPG

Back to lagers for me for a brew or two. Today's effort was a re-brew of my Bavarian Pilsner that I enjoyed rather a lot earlier in the year. If it comes out the same again then I'll be more than happy.

A little past the brewday, but got some English IPA into a cask and a second carboy to be bottled in the next few days.

Marris otter, golden promise, Simpsons English caramalt, and some dark munich, plus Target, EKG, and Fuggles hops.

20191214_233526.jpg

Yesterday I brewed 5l with
1kg Maris Otter
500g Halcyon Pale
500g Munich Light
50g Oats

Hops were:
20g Northern Brewer, spaced out over the boil time
8g Kents Golding added when the wort was at 75c

Yeast
US West coast M44

This is going to be left in the FV over xmas and then I'll probably dry hop for a couple days too

An ordinary bitter, OG 1,038. Veloria malt, crystal 60, crystal, 90 and Gladfields Gladiator.
Hops Challenger, Northern Brewer and Willamette.
007.JPG

The wife's away I have a 2hr window to brew before going on the lash.
No boil no chill American wheat beer.
3kg base malt
2kg wheat
700g Munich
200 carapils
100g acid malt
Hops:
100g centennial
100g equinox
50g cascade
The plan is to mash for 45 then bring the wort to 80 degrees bang hops in and put in the cube to chill.
First time going with no boil. Be interesting

Back