What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tucked away in the brew fridge 33L of my attempt at something close to St Austell’s HSD. Fermented with repitched Wyeast Irish Ale. Different yeast to St Austell so will be interesting acheers.

23 litres of muntons gold continental pilsner kit, never tried a pils before as a kit so thought why not

Proper user upper brew to get rid of most of the odds & sods that have been building up for a while:-

30L @ 1.055

upload_2020-1-25_18-16-46.png

Will get dry hopped with centennial, citra & falconers to clear out the freezer drawer.
acheers.

Put on a porter last night
4.2kg base malt
200g melanoidin malt
200g crystal 80
100g crystal 40
250g carafa 1
Yeast: CML boeir

Going to dry hop with coffee and toasted coconut flakes. Had to use cascade as a bittering hop because that's all I had left.

Currently brewing a Grapefruit IPA.
5 litres
1.5kg Marris Otter mashed at 65 for an hour
5 grams Amarillo for 45 minutes
9 grams Amarillo for 15 minutes
25 grams Mandarina Bavaria at Flameout
1/3 peel of one grapefruit at Flameout (6grams)
Misc Yeast (leftover from a kit)

3 week fermentation.

To add:
1/3 peel of one Grapefruit at one week (5grams)
15grams Mandarina Bavaria at one week.

1/3 peel of one Grapefruit at two weeks (5 grams)
10 grams Amarillo at two weeks
10 grams Mandarina Bavaria at two weeks
10 grams Cascade at two weeks.

Hi, are you doing the 3 week fermentation all in the primary, or are you moving to a secondary? How long will you bottle for afterwards?

The reason I ask is that I am doing my first ever brew now as a fruity IPA, and I have read conflicting information!!

:)

Tweak on a Coopers Aussie pale , mix mini mash of flaked oats , carapils , wheat dme , light dme , galaxy , mosaic , Citra hop tea. Followed at high krausen with a dry hop & then a further dry hop 4 days before kegging. Should be an Augustus Gloop of a hop heavy MF’kin Neipa GMC combo. 300gm of hop hitting tropical madness. If it works I’m a happy man. Cheers acheers.

Today's brew is another Orval-alike brew. I had planned on brewing it for this year's Irish National Competition but just realised that it's only 8 weeks away so I'm really pushing it with this o_O Really need better planning.

Bretted Belgian Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21
Total Grain (kg): 4.865
Total Hops (g): 146
Original Gravity (OG): 1.056
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.0 %
Colour (SRM): 10
Bitterness (IBU): 39
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

Grain Bill
----------------
3.750 kg German - Pilsner (77%)
0.500 kg German - CaraMunich III (10.5%)
0.100 kg German - CaraMunich I (2%)

0.500 kg Cane Sugar (10.5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
26 g Magnum (10.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes

15 g Hallertau Mittelfruh (4.3% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
15 g Styrian Goldings (5.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes

15 g Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 0 Minutes
15 g Styrian Goldings @ 0 Minutes

30 g Styrian Goldings @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)
30 g Hallertau Mittelfruh @ 5 Days (Dry Hop)

Notes
----------------
Mash Schedule:
15 mins at 61c
25 mins at 67c
30 mins at 72c
10 mins at 76c

Fermented at 19°C with WLP530 - Abbey Ale
Raise fermentation temp 0.5c/day up to 23c

After fermentation is complete rack to secondary and add WLP650 - Brett B
Hold for at 1 month at 15c
Add dry hops 5 days before bottling

water profile:
90 calcium
125 sulphate
75 chloride
20 alkalinity

Last edited:
Bit of a cheaty day yesterday. Bro in Law fancied getting into brewing so leant him some kit and walked him through a Coopers Cerveza tweaked a little with some good old Tate&Lyle.

Realized whilst I was dusting the old extract equip down that I had a Woodfordes Wherry kit nestling, forgotten in the box. Tweaked with 250 medium DME and brewed short to 21ltrs. Found some EKGs in the freezer from a while ago so will dry hop with them. WOOHOO free beer!

Last edited:
Trying out a (loosely) Belgian Tripel

Maris otter 66%
Wheat malt 14%
Invert sugar syrup 20%

Hallertau Hersbrucker hops to 21 IBUs

Mangrove Jack's m31 Belgian Tripel yeast

O.G 1.071 just one point off target, but I have more volume than expected!

I'm not drinking so much at the moment so I want to lay down some strong ones for when I am.

Just put a Festival Belgian Dubbel kit together. I replaced the brewers sugar with medium DME and the supplied yeast with Mangrove Jack’s M29 French Saison yeast. 8 hours in and it’s bubbling away like a good ‘un.
Next up is a quick apple and pineapple turbo cider for the boss, then I’m getting a Klarstein Fullhorn and trying a biab Porter.

Last edited:
Hi, are you doing the 3 week fermentation all in the primary, or are you moving to a secondary? How long will you bottle for afterwards?

The reason I ask is that I am doing my first ever brew now as a fruity IPA, and I have read conflicting information!!

:)

Hi,

Only just seen this. I moved it to the secondary after a week. The main driving force behind this was that I needed the yeast for another brew (so i don't know if it was the best thing to do).
I've mostly based this recipe on a scaled down version of this:
http://thecraftbeerchannel.com/juicy-banger-grapefruit-ipa-recipe/

I'm about 2 1/2 weeks in at the moment and it's still a pretty lively fermentation lots of froth on top and the airlock is bubbling every 5-10 seconds, so I may yet give it another week or so if it doesn't slow down.

Hope this helps.

Cream Ale. Three gallons. 1.042 SG.

Did a cereal mash with a pound of corn meal.
3# 2 row
4 oz. Caravienne
4 oz. White wheat malt.
90 minute mash at 149F after adding corn meal and grains

Amarillo, 0.5 ounce at 25 minutes, 0.5 ounce at flame out.

All the Best,
D. White

Hi,

Only just seen this. I moved it to the secondary after a week. The main driving force behind this was that I needed the yeast for another brew (so i don't know if it was the best thing to do).
I've mostly based this recipe on a scaled down version of this:
http://thecraftbeerchannel.com/juicy-banger-grapefruit-ipa-recipe/

I'm about 2 1/2 weeks in at the moment and it's still a pretty lively fermentation lots of froth on top and the airlock is bubbling every 5-10 seconds, so I may yet give it another week or so if it doesn't slow down.

Hope this helps.
Cheers mate that's really helpful

I had brewed a smash lager using 4kg Gladfield Pilsner malt with 22g Nelson Sauvin hops with S23 yeast.
Left in the kegerator for 3 weeks to ferment
then transferred to another carboy and left in the kegerator for another month. Now it's all kegged and carbed waiting for the end of my dry spell to enjoy.

Back