What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 litres of Mersy Stout. Extract with steeping grains. It will be a milk stout with coffee and cocoa nibs.
1200g MJ LME
300g DME
140g brown sugar
250g Lactose
Steeping
200g Roasted barley
100g Choc malt
100g flaked oats
100g flaked barley
Hop 40g challenger hop tea.
Yeast CML Beoir
OG 1070
Colour as black as a Tories heart

Not to be confused with "Mersey Trout"

So just brewed up my mj's pink grapefruit ipa kit but had a bit of a fail as I had no sanitizer left so I washed and rinsed all equipment a good few times and just stuck it on anyway so fingers crossed all goes well. Time for a beer I think lol

How didn't I think that it's so obvious lol well we live and learn I suppose,just having an Elvis juice to numb the pain watching csi got the first 5 seasons from charity shop for under a fiver BARGAIN

Attempt at Blue Moon
It's mashing now and looking a bit too clear for my liking. Maybe the 90g orange peel & crushed corriander seeds will give it a bit of haze.

Blue Moon Belgian White

2.5kg Pale Malt

2kg White Wheat Malt

460g Flaked Oats

Mash for 1 hour @ 68c

35g Hallertau @ Start of Boil

90g Dried Sweet Orange Peel @ 10mins

1.5 Tsp Ground Corriander Seeds @ 10mins

US05 Yeast

Ferment @ 18c

Never made it before, so don't know how it's going to turn out. Been loving this on draught lately in the local.
I used grated navel oranges that I've been grating and freezing one a day for the last week or so.

Knocked up an original recipe punk ipa batch last night. Smells great.
Think I need a bigger boiler though, doing a full 25l pre boil batch tips my system over the edge.

Made 16l of my Rabbit Island Pale Ale this morning. Mash efficiency went way above what was expected, I suspect due to this bag of MO from MM seeming to be very finely crushed, quite a bit of it looking like flour. The upshot is that I liquored back to end up with 16L instead of the intended 15L. I'm using CML Pia again for this one and it's bubbling away already, really impressed with this yeast and the Beoir I used on my last dark ale.

My second brew using red x. I received a nice bottle of Steve on the Christmas swap it was an English red IPA. So I sort of went with his recipe
5kg red X
150g biscuit
150g Cara aroma
200g Munich
This is going to be a raw ale so I plan to mash at 65 degrees. Remove the grain and bring the wort up to 80 degrees for 10 or so mins then transfer into my cube. I will put 50g of fuggles and EKG in the cube at 80 and leave them in overnight while it cools.
Plan to transfer on to my previous brew yeast cake of pia yeast.
Dry hop after 7 days with 50g of each fuggles and EKG.

Brewed an American Pale Ale

6kg of Pale Malt
29g Citra at boil
protofloc tablet 15 mins to end
15g Citra and 15g Simcoe 10 min to end
44g Citra and 44g Simcoe at flame out
currently chilling in the fridge as the outside tap I use for the chiller didn't work and waiting to pitch
MJ M44 yeast.

Last edited:
Wanting a change from the pale ales I've been doing lately, I brewed up 30L of this session strength amber yesterday. Was a good excuse to use up the melanoidin wheat malt thats been sitting around since I was given at brewcon in November.
I'm using this brew as a large yeast starter and will repitch some of the NE yeast into a big DIPA next:-

upload_2020-2-16_7-2-27.png

acheers.

13 litres of Mango IPA. Range IPA kit with 2.5kg of extract, 250g Dextrose and 500g of Mango pulp. 30g of Nugget as a hop tea and CML Cali Common.
OG 1064

Brewed a messed about with tropical IPA, used up hops in the cupboard. Only question form a newcomer is as follows.

I took a gravity after mash and got an expected 1.056 as per recipe in brewers friend, boiled for an hour including hop additions at 60 minutes and 0 minutes, took another gravity and it stood at 1.076, the first reading would yield a planned ABV of 5.6% but the new reading would come in at around 8%...... or so I think. Is this normal for such a rise and does the second reading not really count?

Cheers.

Back