What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit of an experimental 21L of semi-Baltic breakfast porter.

1.3kg Pilsener
3.7kg Maris Otter
250g Carafe 1
250g pale chocolate
250g dark crystal
1L cold brew coffee

Saaz 40g @ 50 min
Saaz 25g @ 10 min

1.060 OG into the fermenter. Tasted ok on the way in, hopefully works out ok.

Mangrove Jacks American IPA with 1.2kg pure malt enhancer. Dry hops in 7 days. Hope it's a fairly quick turnover for summat drinkable, unlike their saison that took months.
Hi All, hope you're doing well.
3 weeks and 5 days after brewday and I have struck gold! I couldn't resist having a try once the PET bottles went hard, so placed in the fridge this morning. Lovely! Just like the Loch Lomond Lost in Mosaic, or Goose Island IPA that I've drunk over the last couple of days.
This is brew number 6 now and what I've learned/ proven to myself is that temperature control really is key (I've read all about it, just never been able to achieve it previously). I have been lucky to keep the FV temp around 20 degrees this time. Phew, at last!
IMG-20200402-WA0000.jpeg

Yesterday I brewed up a split batch, 16L amber lager and 8L Belgian pale ale based on the BPA recipe from the "make your best" series by Josh Weikert.

2.25 kg each pilsner and dark Munich (25 ebc not 50), 150g each Simpson's imperial, medium crystal and Simpson's DRC.

Bittered to 22 IBU with admiral at 60m, then a 50:50 mix of Fuggles/Glacier, 11g at 15 mins, 16g at 10 mins and 23g at 5 mins (aka, the Foxbat special).

Missed my OG by 5 points, but still 1.046 which should give 2 beers between 4.5% and 5% which is fine. Pretty sure I just sparged too quickly trying to keep the bed from compacting as it drained. Belgian got WY 3522 Adrennes and is bubbling at 19c this morning. The lager got WY 2308 Munich Lager and may be bubbling very slowly at 12c this morning, which would only be a 10 hr lag time so maybe it's not that I can hear.

Yesterday I brewed up a split batch, 16L amber lager and 8L Belgian pale ale based on the BPA recipe from the "make your best" series by Josh Weikert.

2.25 kg each pilsner and dark Munich (25 ebc not 50), 150g each Simpson's imperial, medium crystal and Simpson's DRC.

Bittered to 22 IBU with admiral at 60m, then a 50:50 mix of Fuggles/Glacier, 11g at 15 mins, 16g at 10 mins and 23g at 5 mins (aka, the Foxbat special).

Missed my OG by 5 points, but still 1.046 which should give 2 beers between 4.5% and 5% which is fine. Pretty sure I just sparged too quickly trying to keep the bed from compacting as it drained. Belgian got WY 3522 Adrennes and is bubbling at 19c this morning. The lager got WY 2308 Munich Lager and may be bubbling very slowly at 12c this morning, which would only be a 10 hr lag time so maybe it's not that I can hear.
Hi @Zephyr259 , I'm interested in the split batch malarkey. I'd like to try a no-boil and split it 2 or 3 ways with different yeasts. I do have a CML Belgian sachet to try and would consider that alongside one or two of Nottingham/S04/ CML Kölsch/ w3470.

I could fit up to three demijohns in a ferm fridge and squeeze one in a temperature controlled cupboard at 20°C that I'm using to carb up another batch. Obviously the Belgian would benefit from higher temps, Kolsch, notty or w34/70 could be fermented 16-18°C.

I've never done a split batch before, does the yeast make so much difference if the grain and late hops are the same?

Hi @Zephyr259 , I'm interested in the split batch malarkey. I'd like to try a no-boil and split it 2 or 3 ways with different yeasts. I do have a CML Belgian sachet to try and would consider that alongside one or two of Nottingham/S04/ CML Kölsch/ w3470.

I could fit up to three demijohns in a ferm fridge and squeeze one in a temperature controlled cupboard at 20°C that I'm using to carb up another batch. Obviously the Belgian would benefit from higher temps, Kolsch, notty or w34/70 could be fermented 16-18°C.

I've never done a split batch before, does the yeast make so much difference if the grain and late hops are the same?
All mine have been very different beers, something I'm going to do is Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire vs Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale to see how different these two are.

Thus far I've done the following splits.

4% Best bitter with about 3 times the late hops as I'd usually use, bramling cross and first gold, this got split between West Yorkshire and Farmhouse Ale (WY 3726). The belgian yeast attenuated an extra bit so it's 4.2%, it's got the lovely funky fruit and spice that strain creates, it mutes the hops a bit both in apparent bitterness and the yeast overpowers the English hops a bit, still a nice beer.

Tweak on @foxbat's Outback Ale, which is a pale ale with Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy, half got CML Pia which is a great clean yeast so the hops shine and the malt is biscuity. The other half got Ardennes (WY3522), I've only had 1 or 2 of them, similar to the previous split, the belgian yeast adds it's usual esters and phenols which make the hops less dominant, but 3522 isn't overpowering so it works quite well with the fruity hops.

The first one I did was more complicated, it was based on a clone of Tripel Karmeliet but as my wife doesn't like belgian beers and my father-in-law isn't so keen on high abv beers I decided that 8L was enough and I worked out that I could do the other 8L as a "Helles Weizenbock" which is a bit made up. For this one there was a lot more intervention, I took 1L of pre-boil wort, simmered it with some extra hops then strained it and reduced it to a syrup and added it to the weizenbock, this gave the batch a touch more bitterness and some melanoidins and was fermented with Wyeast's weizen strain. The other half was dosed with sugar to boost the OG a bunch and got Wyeast 3726 farmhouse ale. The weizen ended up at 6% and the saison hit 9%, very different beers and both tasty.

Thanks for this, I really appreciate your advice. It's interesting to know that the farmhouse yeast muted the hops due to the more prominent esters, that avoids having to be too concerned about any overpowering hops. I suppose a hop tea on the side for one of the batches could be used to add more control if need be.

Cheers :smallcheers:

Thanks for this, I really appreciate your advice. It's interesting to know that the farmhouse yeast muted the hops due to the more prominent esters, that avoids having to be too concerned about any overpowering hops. I suppose a hop tea on the side for one of the batches could be used to add more control if need be.

Cheers :smallcheers:
Yeah, hop teas and dry hopping would be a good ways to adjust each brew. I've mostly been doing it so I can have a small selection of Belgian beers, without having 30-40 bottles and while still having things that other like too.

Brewed a sort of clone (ish) of Adnams Explorer today with
4.5kg crisp pale
200g crystal 60
165g wheat malt
100g cane sugar (no idea why, it was on my old recipe so I threw it in. Wish I'd left notes back then!)

12g columbus FWH + 20g @30 mins
15g chinook @10 mins + 20g chinook @ 5 mins
13g mosaic @flameout

Great to get back into it!

All mine have been very different beers, something I'm going to do is Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire vs Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale to see how different these two are.

That sounds interesting. They're two of my favourite yeasts and, according to that yeast DNA sequencing family tree chart that's been doing the rounds, are meant to be very closely related... but then you likely already know this and that's why you're doing it.

I know they are quite different genetically quite different but I'm planning on doing a Wyeast 1728 vs WLP028 comparison in the future to see just how similar they actually are.

Sweet Fanny Adams! I promised myself last night I would get a much belated brew on today...but ..last night I got absolutely trollied,ended up on the Jameson's ,ate a very hot jalfrezi,didn't go to bed til stupid o'clock..this morning Mrs Clint left me sleeping...til gone 10...so I've not done much today. I have dusted off the pushbike though and been out with the Mrs and kids for a few miles on it...I feel rather good now!

Brewed another small batch experimental beer with a new hop for me, Junga (Lunga). 2kg MO, 250g wheat, 200g rolled oats. APA/IPA beer type thing. 20g Junga at 60min, 30g at 0mins.

11litres in FV with lallemand west coast yeast at 20c. Came out 1.044, target from Brewfather was 1.043 so happy with that.

Out of interest, same recipe on BF came out OG as 1.054. any reason that might spring to mind for massive difference between 2 recipe generators?

I’ve got an American Pale / American Wheat hybrid on the go. It’s 40% wheat malt, but is too hoppy for an American wheat and I used 25% Vienna.

40% wheat
25% Vienna
35% pilsner

Mash at 65

20g Norther Brewer 60mins
20g each Simcoe and Cascade BBC at 5 mins
30g each Simcoe and Cascade BBC at Flameout
50g each Skicoe and Cascade BBC dry hop.

ferment at 18C with BRY-97
image.jpg

I’ve got an American Pale / American Wheat hybrid on the go. It’s 40% wheat malt, but is too hoppy for an American wheat and I used 25% Vienna.

40% wheat
25% Vienna
35% pilsner

Mash at 65

20g Norther Brewer 60mins
20g each Simcoe and Cascade BBC at 5 mins
30g each Simcoe and Cascade BBC at Flameout
50g each Skicoe and Cascade BBC dry hop.

ferment at 18C with BRY-97View attachment 24098
Thats my kind of ale all in one glass looks good, i am chucking in mj m21 fuggles for bittering sazz coriander and a bit of cardamon, basically using up my grains will have to try and get more, that looks a nice kettle, i am looking at the klarstein with a pump for an up grade this year and use the other as a sparge heater

Thats my kind of ale all in one glass looks good, i am chucking in mj m21 fuggles for bittering sazz coriander and a bit of cardamon, basically using up my grains will have to try and get more, that looks a nice kettle, i am looking at the klarstein with a pump for an up grade this year and use the other as a sparge heater
I think the Klarstein with a pump is pretty much the same unit as mine (Brew Devil). This is only my 4th brew with it but I really like it. I’m using my old Ace boiler as a sparge heater
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back