What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a Belgian IPA today, finished a few points short but overall a good brew day.
Screenshot_20200502-230108.jpg

Just mashed in 23L lock down bitter well thats the plan, i cut the roasted barley to 50g its only for colour
House bitter V1
Special/Best/Premium Bitter

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.100
Total Hops (g): 70.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 13.1 (EBC): 25.8
Bitterness (IBU): 30.6 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg Pale Malt (88.24%)
0.250 kg Crystal 40 (4.9%)
0.250 kg Munich I (4.9%)
0.100 kg Roasted Barley (1.96%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g Fuggles Pellet (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
20.0 g Fuggles Pellet (5.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Danstar Nottingham

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

tried a keptinis, not sure it was that accurate to style. looking forward to trying it though.

Curious which if any recipe you are using I use the one from Graham Wheelers BYOBRA book which always comes out well, not quite the same as the real thing but a really good pint.

as for what I was brewing today another Graham Wheeler clone recipe Caledonian Deuchers IPA, scaled to 9L, waiting for it to cool before I take a gravity reading but should be around 1.038-1.040 so looks like the recipie is based on the cask strength rather than the bottle, first time brewing this recipie but I had this the last time I was up in Scotland and it’s a really decent quaffable session beer so I’m hoping this will turn out well
I looked up a few, and found that the MaltMiller recipe was closest to the ingredients I had, so went with a version of that. I don't expect it to be identical, but hopefully it'll bear a resemblance.

Yesterday I brewed a Weissbier with Hersbrucker and Mandarina hops, coriander seeds, orange peel and kaffir lime leaves. It was an easy 30 minute mash, 30 minute boil, no chill brew day with the yeast pitched today after cooling overnight. I was a bit down on the OG but I think it is because I rushed the sparge, but I could do with a 'session' beer so there we go athumb..

Yesterday I set off the St Peters Cream Stout, but with an additional can of black treacle and slightly short.

OG was 1.064, so aiming for about 7.7%

tried a keptinis, not sure it was that accurate to style. looking forward to trying it though.
I had to Google that, and I read through Larsblog about it. This is amazing, can't wait to hear how this turns out. Did you bake the whole mash, water and all?

I had to Google that, and I read through Larsblog about it. This is amazing, can't wait to hear how this turns out. Did you bake the whole mash, water and all?

check out the last post on my brewday log for the details and pics
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/pennines-brewdays.86123/page-2
next time i think i will only bake half the mash to get extra caramelization, adding sugar water was a good idea though and I will probably do it again. adding three+ hours to a brewday is a long time, so hopefully this will shorten that.

funny enough this was the one farmhouse style that interests me a lot, and I think has some great potential with some modern practices. I suspect it will be similar to belgians made with dark candi syrup but with much more depth as you get a larger range of caramelized sugars this way.

looking forward to it as well, it was actually quite a fun brewday and went down surprisingly easy.

Well, yesterday, today and tomorrow, actually.

Yesterday I mashed and obtained 15l wort at 1.040, which I split into two cooking vessels, pasteurized and set them aside.

Today I will boil one part of the wort to obtain an ordinary bitter, with English hops. Tomorrow I will dilute the other part and boil up a saison with only Merkur hops.

Just kicking off an American pale...Maris otter,Munich,crystal, carapils...a bit of a mix up with some part used hops I need to shift... Amarillo,Columbus and centennial...

Following in from my "sugar" thread... this one is having a sub out with 500g dextrose...I've got a couple of kg to use and depending on results,will get some normal sugar for some future brews..

Made up a Brewferm Flemish Brown. Only had 500g of dark candy sugar and needed 800g, so added 300g of golden syrup and 85g of honey.

This is a 12 litre kit and I'm going to experiment (as if the mix of fermentables wasn't enough!). 4 litres will be bottled as is. The remainder split into 2 demijohns: 1 with the dregs from 2 bottles of Orval and the other with the dregs from 2 bottles of Boon Gueuze

Brewed a beer to test the new(ish) African Queen Hops

4kg Golden Promise
300g Vienna
250g Carapils

Hops :AQ 15g @60, 15g @10, 20g @5 and 20g at flameout <80C. Profloc @15.

Yeast: Lallemand West Coast BRY-97

Yesterday I set off the St Peters Cream Stout, but with an additional can of black treacle.
OG was 1.064, so aiming for about 7.7%

do you have the recipe for this?
It’s a kit mate, I haven’t progressed to anything more advanced than that.

the original kit predicts about 4.5%, so the slightly short brewing and additional black treacle is what is making up the extra alcohol and, hopefully, flavour.

most already coming on a treat, dropped from 1.064 to 1.044 already with an impressive krauzen

Just brewed what I’m hoping will be a lovely little Belgian Blonde from this rather relaxed recipe: Make Your Best Belgian Blond Ale
Used 2.5 kg Maris Otter, 2.5kg Pilsner, 500g Munich, 250g Aromatic, 15g Columbus at 60min, 20g Saaz at 5min and pitched Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes at 18c and planning on letting it rise naturally.

Having a bit of a clear out of my hop store and I've come a across a pile of Sovereign and Pilgrim that Jo from Stocks Farm sweet talked me into buying, and some Aramis and Barbe Rouge (Alsace) that I'd bought for an earlier project but the results were not as stunning as I'd hoped for. Also, a couple of hundred grams of Endeavour which didn't really shine in the SMaSH I'd made of it. . So: four, 12-litre sample brews to knock up over the next four days to see if these hops continue to deserve the fridge-space they're occupying.
All on my standard best bitter malt profile:
Aramis; bittered with Endeavour, late additions and dry hops of Aramis
Barbe Rouge: bitttered with Endeavour, late additions and dry hops of Barbe Rouge
Sovereign: bittered with Sovereign, 15' addition Sovereign, flameout and dry hops 50/50 Sovereign and EKGs
Pilgrim: Pilgrim hops throughout.
Will post details under Brew Days.
If the Alscase beers show promise I might well do an AIPA (Alsatian I P A) to use them up.
Here goes.

Back