What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Second attempt at a coconut porter
4.5 kg Maris otter
200g caramunich 1
200g crystal 82
150g special w
250 g carafa 3

30g of admiral short boil for 30 mins
OG 1.046
Yeast will be beoir

Dry hop on day 10 with fresh roasted coconut.

Continuing my love affair with German beers, today's is a Dunkels Bock.

Specs
----------
Batch size: 20L
Grain bill: 6.14kg
OG: 1.065
Expected FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.4%
Colour: 18srm
Bitterness: 23ibu

Grist
----------
4.0kg Munich I
1.5kg Pilsner
200g Special W
200g Caramunich II
120g Melanoidin
120g Crystal 160L

Hops
-----------
14g Zeus (15.3% AA) @ 60 mins

Mash
----------
40 mins @ 63°c
30 mins @ 71°c
10 mins @ 77°c

Notes
----------
Fermented with German Bock Lager WLP833 at 10°c
Steve what is your fermentation temperature for brewing a German lager. I plan on brewing one this weekend. How long do you lager

Steve what is your fermentation temperature for brewing a German lager. I plan on brewing one this weekend. How long do you lager
I don't really do anything too long winded or complicated. Normally 10° for a week, then ramp up to about 17° over a week, and then lagered for a week at 0°. What are you brewing?

20.5 litres Summer Lightning
2700g Irish Pale Malt
2300g Bohemian Pilsner Malt
100g Wheat Malt
60 minutes mash at 67C
60 minutes boil
45g Challenger 60 minutes
25g EKG 15 minutes
1 Protofloc tablet 15 minutes
Safale S04
OG 1050 Efficiency 65%

I don't really do anything too long winded or complicated. Normally 10° for a week, then ramp up to about 17° over a week, and then lagered for a week at 0°. What are you brewing?
Either a bock or a Munich dunkel. I have wyeast Munich lager 2308. Probably get the starter on Thursday night.

32 gallons of CD’s Favourite. 25KG pale, 1½ Kg Crystal, 1½Kg Wheat , 150gms Choc malt. 250gms molasses. Hops: 150gms First Gold at copper up, 100gms FG + 100gms Goldings after 1 hour, 160gms Goldings 2 minutes before heat off. Total boil 80 minutes. Rest (beer and brewer) 1 hour before casting copper.
So far so good. Pitched 6 sachets rehydrated S-04 yeast as no live yeast available from usual source, so worrying like mad what will happen! Watch this space . . .

32 gallons of CD’s Favourite. 25KG pale, 1½ Kg Crystal, 1½Kg Wheat , 150gms Choc malt. 250gms molasses. Hops: 150gms First Gold at copper up, 100gms FG + 100gms Goldings after 1 hour, 160gms Goldings 2 minutes before heat off. Total boil 80 minutes. Rest (beer and brewer) 1 hour before casting copper.
So far so good. Pitched 6 sachets rehydrated S-04 yeast as no live yeast available from usual source, so worrying like mad what will happen! Watch this space . . .
Crikey! I hope that lasts you a few weeks. I do like a good bit of FG athumb..

Due to a surprise appearance of elderflowers at the top of the garden I made an elderflower golden ale. 3.8kg Crisp MO, 200g Crystal 150ebc. FWH with 20g Simcoe and 20g of Mosaic at 5 mins along with 50g of freshly picked elderflowers. 19l @ 1.044 and pitched Lallemand London/English at 1700. Sitting at 18c and already bubbling!
20200604_201744.jpg

IMG_20200605_164256.jpg

All done. Consistent BHE with just under 70%.
After not using the hop spider there's obviously more kettle material but it seems to have settled out ok. There is definitely a massive improvement in aroma from the wort... loads of citrus from the 30g hop stand at 80.
A doddle chilling to 30...pitching now,brew fridge on red alert!

View attachment 27073
All done. Consistent BHE with just under 70%.
After not using the hop spider there's obviously more kettle material but it seems to have settled out ok. There is definitely a massive improvement in aroma from the wort... loads of citrus from the 30g hop stand at 80.
A doddle chilling to 30...pitching now,brew fridge on red alert!

Put the glass down - it’s not ready yet!

Citra Saison after much deliberation and inspiration from you lot!
Just coming up to the boil...also today I'm trialing ditching the hop spider for the boil...
Citra in a saison may not be entirely traditional but it's a fantastic combo thumb

My first stab at a Californian Common, AG #2.

1500g Lager Malt
750g Pale Malt
250g Munich Malt
200g Crystal Malt

Aimed for 10 litres, got 10 litres, OG 1.064, which judging by brewers friend made it 75% efficient (yay, better than AG#1! - Lesson; Better sparging this time round).

However I have made a mistake with downscaling from a 20 litre recipe, as I put 14g northern brewer at 90mins, 18g at 15mins. 18g at 1min. The calcs say an IBU of 71 when it should be 35!! It also calculated ABV at 6.7%.
To reduce the IBU, I topped up to 15litres with 2 litres leftover runnings and 3 litres water. OG now 1.044. Calcs now estimate an ABV of 4.8% and IBU of 52.
5g of MJ m54 rehydrated and added.

Hopefully it tastes OK. I've just finished my IPA which was about 56 IBU and that was fine.
Update, it's getting bottled tomorrow. It's very dark amber, due to finding out that the crystal malt is actually around 150 lovibond! I'm getting less concerned with the bitterness as the FV smells lovely, so hopefully it tastes good too! Fermenting temps were all over the place cos of the mini heatwave last week; 18C min. 24C max. Temperature taken from thermometer attached the FV, so I bet it was at least 2C hotter inside the FV. 😕

Update, it's getting bottled tomorrow. It's very dark amber, due to finding out that the crystal malt is actually around 150 lovibond! I'm getting less concerned with the bitterness as the FV smells lovely, so hopefully it tastes good too! Fermenting temps were all over the place cos of the mini heatwave last week; 18C min. 24C max. Temperature taken from thermometer attached the FV, so I bet it was at least 2C hotter inside the FV. 😕

Regarding the colour, just tell everyone it's a Kentucky Common. wink...

Back