What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers!👍
Although from a quick read through, mine will be be a tad darker and more bitter than stand Kentucky Common. 🤔Looking forward to trying it!

IMG_20200605_225235257.jpg

Simple strong and hoppy ale to use up more hops. And the last of my grain. Need to order some more now. I guess its close to a west coast ipa although im not going to dry hop it
Og 1.064
Notty
83.3% pale ale
4.2% caramunich 1
4.2% torrified wheat
8.3% invert no 3

Step mash, 64c 45mins, 73c 30mins.

Fwh 100g pilgrim
Fwh 20g magnum
165g home grown centennial towards the end.

even took a few pics

first wort hops, mix of loose and bagged. Nice and clean boiler, highly advanced hop filter.

IMG-20200606-140034978-HDR.jpg

final runnings are nice and clear, mash pH was 5.4

IMG-20200606-155648384-HDR.jpg

Invert going in, I used 5ml of lactic acid to help invert it and that dropped the boil ph down to 5.0-5.1

IMG-20200606-165123716-HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Just mashing in a Munich dunkel. More or less the recipe on byo.
5kg dark Munich
200g melanoidin
120g carafa 2
30 g tettnager @ 60 mins

I have a 2 litre starter on the go from last night. Using Munich larger yeast 2308

Got my mash on for a Brooklyn Sorachi clone. I usually just dump and stir when it comes to doughing in, but after reading a few things recently I’ve really taken my time, putting in 2 mugfuls at a time and stirring in between. Let’s see how it affects my efficiency.

Was supposed to be a batch of 70 Shilling but brew day is postponed till tomorrow due to last min overtime.

Got my mash on for a Brooklyn Sorachi clone. I usually just dump and stir when it comes to doughing in, but after reading a few things recently I’ve really taken my time, putting in 2 mugfuls at a time and stirring in between. Let’s see how it affects my efficiency.
What's the recipe for that, if you don't mind

What's the recipe for that, if you don't mind
image.jpg

I omitted the sugar, subbed 500g of pils for wheat, subbed the Belgian yeast for Belle Saison, and played about with the hops to get them to 37ish IBU (I think I have 34) - brought the 30min forward to 10 then had to reduce the flame out hops because I only had 225g.

Last edited:
View attachment 27190
I omitted the sugar, subbed 500g of pils for wheat, subbed the Belgian yeast for Belle Saison, and played about with the hops to get them to 37ish IBU (I think I have 34) - brought the 30min forward to 10 then had to reduce the flame out hops because I only had 225g.
Thank you. I had planned on using sorachi ace in a Saison I mentioned on another thread. It's a great hop I don't see many people using it.

Thank you. I had planned on using sorachi ace in a Saison I mentioned on another thread. It's a great hop I don't see many people using it.
It’s out of a book I got in The Works for 29p a year or so back. Most of the book is pretty rubbish but worth the 29p for this and the Tiny Rebel Urban IPA recipes.

I’ve never used it before, and the only time I’ve ever had it is in the only time I’ve ever managed to get a Brooklyn Sorachi locally. I’m quite excited, especially since it’ll be the first beer that I force carb in the mini keg system that’s coming tomorrow.

If this goes well I’m going to add a Japanese rice lager with Sorachi to my “to brew list”

Cocked up my sparge volume and had to get rid of some wort to prevent a boil over. Ended up with 23L in the FV instead of my expected 20L, at 1.053. A 90% attenuation from Belle Saison will give me a 6.3% beer but I’m hoping it’ll go a bit drier than that (1.005).

That puts my efficiency at 74% instead of my usual 65% - looks like the slow mash in makes all the difference.

Last edited:
Back