What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep the brett would continue to work in the bottle. This is actually what the Orval brewers do, they add the brett just before bottling and allow it to work over several months to carbonate the beer (and develop flavours). The difference is though, you have no way of knowing exactly how the brett will act, how far the SG will drop, how high the carbonation will get etc. so it would be risky move and not something that I personally would ever attempt.
Thanks Steve, I will look into getting a liquid Saison yeast. I have a few German lagers to brew before moving to all things Belgian 👍👍

Early start as lots to do today...
Today's brew is AN AIPA with pale malt,Munich,wheat and carapils..was going to have some oats but they turned into flaked barley in the grain box!
Hops...Magnum and Victoria secret. Yeast...CML Kveik.
Mash on!
All done. Still +70% on bhe, wort to fv at 35 degrees,torture chamber set for same...it's going in now!
IMG_20200620_165519.jpg

Last edited:
...well,that was quick. Mr Kveik has woken up....got lid pressure and a bubble in the bottle every couple of seconds...
Oh dear...it's like a very full fish tank...

Last edited:
Brewday ball ache. Finished Union Jack IPA, started at 6am, finished cleaning at 1pm. All went to plan but It’s a long day isn’t it. I wonder if you can rent a brewer these days. wink...

Brewed an American interpretation of an English IPA today.

https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewmyrecipe/3104647
5kg Maris Otter
250g each of light, dark and extra dark crystal (45, 77, 120L)
Bittered with Chinook. Fuggles and EKG at 10min and WP. Going to dry hop with more Fuggles.
Wyeast London III yeast, Burton (1/2 minerals) water profile.
OG 1.058 and has a lovely malty colour and taste and hop flavour. The English late hops make a nice change from my usual US brews.👍
20200622_151419.jpg

20200622_141809.jpg

17L of red beer. Not sure what style it fits with, the aim was to make something suiting red crystal malt for the home brew company (Red Crystal 340 EBC WHOLE 500g (Fawcett)). First attempt used 90% minch pale, 7% red crystal and 3% rolled oats, the oats and red crystal worked really well together but the red was a little overpowering. This time around it's 85% pale, 5% red crystal, 5% rolled oats, 3% pils crystal and 2% chocolate.

I'm using local spring water, no profile for it so far, very soft, slightly peaty and filtered through granite. Excellent at masking ABV but it doesn't really suit darker beers, should be really good for pilsners but I've not got around to any yet.

Drinking a blond ale made with it at the mo, similar to centennial blond but using moteuka for the late additions. Very green as its only 6 days in the bottle but it's already very good. Tried pairing moteuka with a small amount of perle (1/3rd) for a more recent batch and it should work ok but will probably try 1/3 to 1/2 mt hood next time around.

I am happy to report that I was able to bottle my first batch of Saissonnier's Ale today.
I have brewed mead before using honey from my beehive, but brewing beer is a new adventure.
It appears to have gone well, and I am looking forward to tasting it in a few weeks time.

I can see the biggest challenge is going to be keeping the bottles cool in this heat.
I remember my grandmother keeping her milk in a container of water, on the stone floor in her larder.
(She didn't have a fridge).
Maybe I should try something similar ?

A 'Pilsy thing' on the Inductiana Jones, which is here post boil with the insulation taken off.

Inductiona Jones 20200625_162407.jpg

That pan lid is really good as the boiling element because it's heavy and has a slight curve so it heats both sides. I heated the sparge water with the crappy metal plate from Poundland and it works perfectly for that but if you use it to boil then steam forms underneath and it skids about the shop like an air-hockey puck. You can weigh it down but I prefer the double-sided nature of the big lid and figure it works out as less wattage density. So from now on I'll use the little plate in the fermenter I use for mashing and have the big one in the boil bucket and start heating the wort as I transfer it during the sparge.

Because the sun was out and the panels the entire thing cost under 45p if anyone cares about that sort of thing.

I call it a 'Pilsy thing' because it's a pils recipe but with pale malt. I had a taste of some biscuit malt and thought this could really make for a nice finish so had it as 4% of the grain. I've talked before about wanting to be able to get to a place where you can 'mind taste' ingredients for beers just like you can do with food and think "Yeah, that'll go great with that." or the opposite. I'm hoping the biscuit malt does what my imagination thinks it should do.

Last edited:
21 Litres of Saison, first Saison ever, not even tasted one just curious to see how this turns out. It's a Youngs Premium kit the NWS and comes with two pouches of malt (LME) and a bag of brewing and carbing sugar, 20g of Belgian yeast and 90g of hops (don't say what type).
Brewed it to 21 Litres, only for convenience as I will be packaging it in a 19L corny keg. Added yeast @26°C and popped it in the brew fridge set at 30°C, OG 1.072 @22°C

In the middle of another 17L of blond ale for SWMBO at the mo, Motueka is really working well with this, probably going to give galaxy or amarillo a try when the next order goes in.

Just finished brewing latest version of American Amber..never used Thames Valley or English yeast in American Amber but thought I would try it at the lower end of fermentation temperature to see how it works
Screenshot_20200628-234551__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200628-234510.jpg

MJ Simcoe IPA with 1kg spraymalt brewed it to 21 litres due to kegging, OG 1.062. I did this kit a few months back and it was really good, probably the best kit i've made to date.

Just bottled a Stout for Autumn/Winter turned out to be 6.8% ABV had a taste from the trial jar and seems promising.

Mashing a traditional bock
4 kg Munich
1.5 kg pilsner
200 g special W
300g crystal 225
200g melanodin
18g magnum @60 mins
Og. 1.064

Last edited:
A lager-style ale, dry voss kveik, with hallertau hersbrucker and hallertau tradition hops. Fermentation at 30C under 10 psi in the Fermzilla.

Back