What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15 L Chocolate Milk Stout tweaked
Range kit 2200g LME
Molasses
Brown sugar
Lactose
CML Beoir
Adding cocoa nibs and hops in primary
Coffee to secondary

I managed to get a St. Peter's cream stout on the go this afternoon whilst the 2yr old twin boys had their nap and the mrs had gone to visit her parents. Whilst prepping the wort I ended up having to change not 1 but 3 pooey nappies! Nothing like multi tasking on a brew day :laugh8: athumb..

Anyways, really looking forward to this one, love my stouts and I've read good things about this kit. I filled it to 22l and ended up with OG of 1.046

21 L of Niagara Wheatbeer
3000g Pilsner
3000g Wheat
300g Honey malt
250g Maple syrup
20g Northern brewer 60m
25g Willamette 10m
CML Kristallweizen
OG 1065

Brewed an American interpretation of an English IPA today.

https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewmyrecipe/3104647
5kg Maris Otter
250g each of light, dark and extra dark crystal (45, 77, 120L)
Bittered with Chinook. Fuggles and EKG at 10min and WP. Going to dry hop with more Fuggles.
Wyeast London III yeast, Burton (1/2 minerals) water profile.
OG 1.058 and has a lovely malty colour and taste and hop flavour. The English late hops make a nice change from my usual US brews.👍
View attachment 28066
View attachment 28068
I am looking into brewing an English IPA. That's a fair amount of crystal you have added

It certainly is! That’s what the recipe called for and I think it’s coming out slightly higher ABV and there’s plenty of bitterness. I’m going to cold crash tomorrow so it should be serving soon, I’ll let you know! I do like a malty ale from time to time but am usually cautious about adding too much when brewing, this time caution was thrown to the wind! 💨

Munich IPA

Recipe Specs

----------------
Batch Size (L): 20
Total Grain (kg): 5.45
Total Hops (g): 220
Estimated OG: 1.057
Estimated FG: 1.008
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.4%
Colour (SRM): 13
Bitterness (IBU): 52

Grain Bill
----------------
3.5 kg Munich Light (64%)
1.0 kg Munich Dark (18%)
0.5 kg Flaked Oats (9%)
0.2 kg Crystal 80L (4%)

0.250 kg Golden Syrup (5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20 g Zeus @ 60 Minutes

20 g Amarillo @ 10 Minutes
20 g Simcoe @ 10 Minutes

20 g Amarillo Whirlpool
20 g Simcoe Whirlpool

60 g Amarillo for 5 Days (Dry Hop)
60 g Simcoe for 5 Days (Dry Hop)

Notes
----------------
Water Profile:
Calcium 160 ppm
Sulphate 225 ppm
Chloride 150 ppm
Alkalinity 50 ppm

Mashed overnight at 64c

Fermented at 21°C with WHC Brexit Ale Yeast
I bottled this today with a gravity of 1.008 which was much lower than the 1.015 I had estimated, so it's a bit more bitter than I'd like. Also the combination of the darker base malts, the dry hops, and the hazy yeast means that it looks like sewage water but it smells fantastic. I added a Campden tablet to the batch along with the priming sugar solution, first time I've done this, in an attempt to stave off oxidation and hop fade, so I'm intrigued to see if that helps.

It certainly is! That’s what the recipe called for and I think it’s coming out slightly higher ABV and there’s plenty of bitterness. I’m going to cold crash tomorrow so it should be serving soon, I’ll let you know! I do like a malty ale from time to time but am usually cautious about adding too much when brewing, this time caution was thrown to the wind! 💨
My recipe will be pretty similar, with less crystal. Maybe 400g made up of two different colours. I decided on fuggles & EKG. Yeast will be London fog.

I bottled this today with a gravity of 1.008 which was much lower than the 1.015 I had estimated, so it's a bit more bitter than I'd like. Also the combination of the darker base malts, the dry hops, and the hazy yeast means that it looks like sewage water but it smells fantastic. I added a Campden tablet to the batch along with the priming sugar solution, first time I've done this, in an attempt to stave off oxidation and hop fade, so I'm intrigued to see if that helps.
Have you used a Campden tablet before I read it in another thread. Does it work.
Edit: just seen it's your first time

Last edited:
Have you used a Campden tablet before I read it in another thread. Does it work
I haven't ever used it as an antioxidant so I don't know for sure but I've heard that it does help, if only a little. Thought I'd give it a try anyway.

Brewed an American interpretation of an English IPA today.

https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewmyrecipe/3104647
5kg Maris Otter
250g each of light, dark and extra dark crystal (45, 77, 120L)
Bittered with Chinook. Fuggles and EKG at 10min and WP. Going to dry hop with more Fuggles.
Wyeast London III yeast, Burton (1/2 minerals) water profile.
OG 1.058 and has a lovely malty colour and taste and hop flavour. The English late hops make a nice change from my usual US brews.👍
View attachment 28066
View attachment 28068
Going to attempt to cold crash in the FV for the first time tomorrow. Mylar ballon ordered an hour ago for delivery tomorrow for 62p, gotta love Amazon Prime!
I hear the Wyeast London III doesn’t like to drop out, so hopefully this will encourage it to do so and I can harvest it from the bottom dump valve! 💩

Landlord Clone my go to bitter. After my last couple of batches fermented out far too much, think down to 1.000 on the most recent occasion I was trying to make a point of paying close attention to the mash temperature, think I managed to keep it at a steady 68 degrees. Hopefully this will solve the problem as the most recent beers I have being doing have being drinkable but really dry.

Double brew day today an Aussie IPA, all Galaxy hops 21 litres.
Best Bitter 42 litres, Target and Styrian Goldings hops.
Had to delay the bitter by an hour or so because only one pump on the cooling water tank.
001.JPG

I made an Amarillo single hop ale (GH recipe) yesterday. Hit OG target spot on, but only got 21 of planned 23 litres, suspect that boil off rate was increased by the wind, as I brewed outside.

My first Saison
4kg pilsner
600g Vienna
500g wheat
200g torrified wheat
300g sugar

All sorachi ace hops
15g @ 60 mins
25g @ 10 mins
60g @ whirlpool
100g @ day 10 dry hop

Yeast is belle Saison pitch at 18 degrees
Looking forward to this 😁

My first Saison
4kg pilsner
600g Vienna
500g wheat
200g torrified wheat
300g sugar

All sorachi ace hops
15g @ 60 mins
25g @ 10 mins
60g @ whirlpool
100g @ day 10 dry hop

Yeast is belle Saison pitch at 18 degrees
Looking forward to this 😁
You'll need to push that baby higher pretty soon after you see airlock activity. I started my last Saison around 23°C and held for a few days before letting it rise. I only got to 28°C before it was finished. There is define character and pepperiness from the Belle Saison that I'd like to squeeze more out of next time.

Back