What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pitched a reclaimed bottle of yeast into another crack at a neipa.
28L at 1.064

55% MO extra pale
16.5% Crafty Malsters pale
11% wheat malt
11% flaked oats
6.5% chit malt

In one of my 1st neipas I tried adding no hops in the boil and found it a bit lacking/bland but tried again today hoping a double whirlpool addition would help with that.
I used 20g each Sabro, idaho7 and bru-1 @ 95C for 15 mins
Then 30g each for 25mins at 75C
Will also get a double dry hop once it gets going.
acheers.
20200705_185836.jpg

Today it's a revised Tribute clone after a bit more research. The current one from Cheshire cat is very good but I did sub hops as I was a bit short on some.
This time I've dropped the crystal I put in last time and increased the Munich up to 1kg. I've left in a bit of torrified wheat and carapils. The original recipe just has two malts...Maris otter and Cornish gold...mine now has Maris otter 3kg,Munich 1kg and 250g each of torrified wheat and carapils.
Hops are true to recipe ... fuggles, Willamette and Celeia.
Water treatment as per Strange Steve for pale ale. Wilko gervin again for the yeast..
Water on!

Yesterday

AG#3 Coffee, Chocolate, Bourbon Imperial Stout. 10 litres.

2000g Pale Malt
200g Maris Otter
250g Munich Malt
200g Chocolate Malt *
200g Roasted Barley *
200g Crystal Malt *
1000g Wheat DME
250g Lactose
75g Dark Chocolate 95% Cocoa

Mashed the first three in 8 litres of water at 68°C for 90 minutes.
Steeped * in 2 litres of water at 40°C for 30 minutes and then drained the bag, but not squeezed. In this pot once cooled, I infused 50g of freshly ground dark roast coffee in a cotton bag for 30 minutes, again drained not squeezed.

I then placed the mash bag in a colander over the boil kettle and sparged with 4 litres of 78°C water for close to an hour, slowly pouring a jug at a time and stirring the mash bag every now and then (PITA!). Left colander and bag sat on another pot.

Brought the wort to a boil and added 50g EKG at 90 minutes. At boil end I added the steeped grains/coffee, the DME, the chocolate and lactose, giving all a good stir.

Chilled to 40°C and pitched 11g CML Kveik Voss. It's now wrapped in a yoga mat and pillows. I'm excited to see how the Kveik goes as this is my first time using it!

OG = 1.092.

I'll add 100g of Tennesee Bourbon Oak Chips (from Still Spirits) in a hop bag after fermentation and will taste test over a few days.

For sh*ts and giggles: I noticed I had about 1 litre of run off from the mash and approx 100ml steepings, so I combined them, added my trial jar contents from the first brew, then squeezed the utter sh*t out the mash bag to get 2 litres. Boiled this for 20 mins with a small handful of used hop mush, then topped up to 3 litres.
Pitched a wee amount of MJ M42 New World Strong Ale Yeast at 20°C. OG = 1.032.
See how this brown ale goes!

First brewday in over four years last Thursday - life has somewhat gotten in the way! Had a mixed assortment of carefully stored & sealed grains and hops still in stock, so thought I would throw together a random brew of whatever I could think of, and see how it came out. What's the worst that could happen...?

50082500616_5f014fef2e_z.jpg

The yeast - Mangrove's M20 Bavarian Wheat - was also dated 2014, so pitched a double batch to try and help it along. By Saturday evening those little yeasties had munched through nearly 50 gravity points, dropping it from 1.076 to 1.028, giving around 6.5%. Racked into a secondary King Keg, onto 100g sugar solution - seemed fairly clear already. Couldn't resist trying a glass just to see what it had turned out like.

50081916878_a1c8ca96b4_z.jpg

One glass quickly became four glasses. Colour is good, head retention is good, flavour is surprisingly reasonable given the age of the ingredients. Something like an alcoholic Mars bar. Not saying I'll brew it again, but certainly a pleasant surprise.

IMG_20200706_162337.jpg

All done...1 point over predicted gravity,not worked out BHE yet as still dropping wort to fv.
BHE just under 72% Vs 70% for the recipe calculation so all good. This time was 80 minutes mash...I'll knock it back to an hour next time..

Last edited:
I haven't ever used it as an antioxidant so I don't know for sure but I've heard that it does help, if only a little. Thought I'd give it a try anyway.
funny i have been doing this as well for my last 3-4 batches. they still carbonate just fine.

Yesterday as I couldn't get it any cooler due to high water temp I left the fv under air lock at 30c to drop to 19c in the brew fridge. Late last night...after a few shandies I checked on it and it was down to 21c so I pitched the yeast...
YET AGAIN I LEFT THE TEMP PROBE OUT!!!!!
What a top hat I am...I've had a look..the inky was set to 19c and reading the garage temp of around 17c so the heater had kicked in...the digital thermometer on the side of the fv said 23c...so hopefully it's not stressed the yeast. There's no sign of anything fermentation wise yet...
I must make a sign to remind myself...

As my maiden brew with my new robobrew I've done the supreme being dipa from the homebrew company's all grain kits. Got a bit of a stuck mash but the pumps still flowing.

Attachments

• 15941421934721626673026.jpg
    15941421934721626673026.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 105
YET AGAIN I LEFT THE TEMP PROBE OUT!!!!!
I Made a beer the other day and as I lay in bed yesterday I thought did I adjust the temp controller from 3°C to 21°C as the previous brew was cold crashed and I sometimes forget to turn it up? I went to the brewing room and hadn't even turned it on 😆 still, better than leaving it at 3°C as it was at 23°C ambient.

7-C2-F3763-D0-C3-4-BD9-8-AC4-FF512-DE58936.jpg

I added O2 for 20 sec, pitched 5g of CML Kristalweizen straight in dry and have it held at 39c after being inspired by the experiments from the lab of @Drunkula !
When fermentation slows I’ll add the 700g of frozen raspberries. Considering blitzing them when frozen, adding them to a couple of mesh veggie bags, pouring over a small amount of water with 1.5 dissolved campden tablets and leaving overnight to thaw before adding the bags and juice to the FV.

...and ignore the predicted abv, BeerSmith is being very optimistic with the estimated mash efficiency lately!
20200709_155830.jpg

Sample intentionally cloudy due to oats and no kettle finings. 👍

Brewed a 10 litre "Develpment" batch of Old Hooky with a slight change from my first batch including trying a WLP002. All went pretty well until I almost lost the stir bar into the FV.
Then checked the first batch of Old Hooky and it's stuck at 1.020 which is a complete ball ache, so I made up a sample of the wort with a tiny bit of SO4 to see if it will move and if so will add some to the FV, it tastes quite good though so it may end up being a 3.7ABV sweeter than I wanted Ale

Brewed a 10 litre "Develpment" batch of Old Hooky with a slight change from my first batch including trying a WLP002. All went pretty well until I almost lost the stir bar into the FV.
Then checked the first batch of Old Hooky and it's stuck at 1.020 which is a complete ball ache, so I made up a sample of the wort with a tiny bit of SO4 to see if it will move and if so will add some to the FV, it tastes quite good though so it may end up being a 3.7ABV sweeter than I wanted Ale
Keep at it, I'm sure you'll get there.

Have you had any big fluctuations in temperature that might have put the yeast to sleep? Did you give it plenty of aeration before adding the yeast? You could always try rousing it by stirring with a sanitised spoon or paddle to get the yeast working again. Raising the temperature a smidge may help., maybe up to 21-22degC to get it started again?

Keep at it, I'm sure you'll get there.

Have you had any big fluctuations in temperature that might have put the yeast to sleep? Did you give it plenty of aeration before adding the yeast? You could always try rousing it by stirring with a sanitised spoon or paddle to get the yeast working again. Raising the temperature a smidge may help., maybe up to 21-22degC to get it started again?
Thanks, all advice appreciated. I aerated by shaking the FV, the Speidel has really good handles so it was well shaken I guess, plus I decanted into the FV to aerate as much as possible.
I pitched at 17 deg C for 4 days, then 18 deg for 1 day, on day five SG was 1.020. Increased to 19 deg and still some activity, then next day increased to 20 deg and still some bubbling all be it slow.
Today is day 12 and still at 1.020

Do you know if your hydrometer is accurate?

If you have some other yeast, such as Nottingham/Wilco/Gervin, that's a good attenuator so might get the FG lower if you pitched half a packet.

Yes I have calibrated the hydrometer and checked against a refractometer. I only have another pack of SO4 otherwise its liquid yeast which will need to make a starter for

Latest posts

Back