What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed my first ever gallon of all grain beer today, kinda cobbled the recipe together so it may go south, I don't really know but that's part of the fun I think.

300g Maris Otter malt
300g Vienna malt
300g chocolate malt
100g medium crystal malt
5g Cascade @ boil point
5g Fuggles @ 55 minutes

Is that completely insane? Am I going to end up with something in any way drinkable?
It looks and smells pretty good at the moment, hopefully it won't be a total disaster, I've definitely caught the all grain bug now though, I might just do another one tomorrow.
that’s about 3 times the recommended maximum of chocolate malt. It might be a bit of a slow drinker that one!

Bottled #41 Raspberry Wheat, brewed with CML Kristallweizen @39c. As the yeast falls out quite easily and I want a nice, cloudy beer, I added the priming sugar solution while bubbling CO2 through. Bottled from the racking port after allowing 15 mins for the sugar to fully distribute and any trub and fruit bits to fall back into the bottom of the cone.
Movie-1-1.gif

that’s about 3 times the recommended maximum of chocolate malt. It might be a bit of a slow drinker that one!

I'll admit it, I didn't do a whole lot of research on how much to use of which malts, my interest peaked after I read the 'have a go at a simple AG' thread and I bought a load of grains (probably way too much) and just kind of chucked stuff together.

I still don't really know what I'm doing but given how utterly jet black the wort turned out to be, I think I'll err on the side of caution with subsequent batches 😄

I'll admit it, I didn't do a whole lot of research on how much to use of which malts, my interest peaked after I read the 'have a go at a simple AG' thread and I bought a load of grains (probably way too much) and just kind of chucked stuff together.

I still don't really know what I'm doing but given how utterly jet black the wort turned out to be, I think I'll err on the side of caution with subsequent batches 😄
I would probably recommend either sticking to recipes or doing SMaSHes whist you are still a newbie about what flavours various grains and hops give

Brewed a kolschy golden ale today, mainly to use up more homegrown hops from the freezer!

og 1.048
21L batch

75% crisp extra pale ale malt
25% crisp best pale ale malt

step mash, 1 hour @64c, 30 mins @ 72c

75g Hallertau Mittelfruh first wort, 75g HM @ 30 mins

K-97 yeast

MJ simcoe IPA, used 1kg of DME and brewed short to 21L. I brewed this a couple of months ago and added an extra 50g of simcoe at dry hop and think it's one of the best kits I've brewed. OG 1.062.

It's bubbling away so something's happening but I'd have thought this is alot of material for 5 hours into the brew?

Attachments

• IMG_20200719_000153756.jpg
    IMG_20200719_000153756.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 190
Having finished both barrels of IPA and Amber Ale I'm now down to bottled lagers.
I started another Young's Scottish heavy about 3 weeks ago which I pimped with additional light spray malt but it stuck at 1.022. After repitching some fresh yeast it got down to 1015 by yesterday and it's now cold crashing (after dry hopping with East Kent Goldings ) in my new brew fridge.
OG was 1.053 so should still be just under 5"% abv.
I also started a Bulldog IPA extract kit with dextrose and light spray malt which is now bubbling vigorously away.
Looking forward to getting the heavy in a barrel and having a bit more choice.

Brewed an American interpretation of an English IPA today.

https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewmyrecipe/3104647
5kg Maris Otter
250g each of light, dark and extra dark crystal (45, 77, 120L)
Bittered with Chinook. Fuggles and EKG at 10min and WP. Going to dry hop with more Fuggles.
Wyeast London III yeast, Burton (1/2 minerals) water profile.
OG 1.058 and has a lovely malty colour and taste and hop flavour. The English late hops make a nice change from my usual US brews.👍
View attachment 28066
View attachment 28068
I can confirm this came out very very nicely. If you like a really malty beer this is definitely one of those! I think the levels of bitterness, hop flavour, carbonation and temperature (16psi/6c) prevent it from being too sickly. I wouldn't push the amount of crystal further than this, but its definitely drinkable and has been a big hit with the visitors.

Hello Gentlemen! Long time no see wink... Work’s been getting in my way I’m afraid.

Brewed today a Brewmaker Lager Kit. Threw in 3 x KG of sugar and looking at an OG of 1.064......Possibly over 7.5% :laugh8: This will be interesting.......

Hello all!
As the keg of elderflower pale running out at the weekend caught me by surprise, I’ve knocked up a speedy Summer Lightning brew today. MO and light crystal with Challenger, Fuggles and lots of EKG. Reused the Wyeast London III.
Ran a 90 minute 66c mash with no mash-out and got great extraction. Found my mini tank of O2 was empty, so one of those will be on the shopping list now. Had to give it a thrashing with the paddle for misbehaving!

https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/3149299/42-summer-lightning-wip

A simple BIAB wheat beer for my first wheat beer effort, using ingredients I already had. Around 4.5 litres volume as it's fermenting in a 5 litre Tesco ashbeck water bottle.

500g pale malt
500g torrified wheat
8g Fuggles @60 min
4g Fuggles @5 min
5g US-05 yeast

Yesterday a Gordon Strong recipe Extra Stout bumped up the ABV TO 6.5% interested to try this as it has no roast malt.
Irish Extra Stout
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.059 FG = 1.014
IBU = 40 SRM = 50 ABV = 6%

This recipe is not necessarily a clone recipe of O’Hara’s Leann Folláin, however it is based on information I gleaned from Carlow Brewing Co.’s Head Brewer Conor Donoghue and is at least similar. Many Irish extra stouts use anywhere from 7–15% roasted grains, however this recipe skips using any roasted barley or black patent and instead uses a higher percentage of chocolate malt. I have found that the higher percentage really does give it a deep roasted character.

Ingredients

8 lbs. (3.6 kg) UK Golden Promise malt
2 lbs. (0.91 kg) flaked barley
8 oz. (227 g) torrified wheat
1.75 lbs. (0.79 kg) UK chocolate malt (425 °L)
8 oz. (227 g) UK brown malt
6 AAU UK Northdown hops (90 min.)
(0.75 oz./21 g at 8% alpha acids)
4.5 AAU UK Fuggle hops (30 min.)
(1 oz./28 g at 4.5% alpha acids)
0.5 oz. (14 g) UK Fuggle hops (5 min.)
Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) or White Labs WLP004 (Irish Ale) yeast
3⁄4 cup corn sugar (if priming)

Step by Step

Two or three days before brew day, make a 1-qt. (1-L) yeast starter, aerating the wort thoroughly (preferably with oxygen) before pitching the yeast.

On brew day, prepare your ingredients; mill the grain, measure your hops, and prepare your water. This recipe uses reverse osmosis (RO) water. Add 1⁄4 tsp. 10% phosphoric acid per 5 gallons (19 L) of brewing water, or until water measures pH 5.5 at room temperature. Add 1 tsp. calcium chloride (CaCl2) to the mash.

On brew day, mash in the Golden Promise, flaked barley, and torrified wheat at 147 °F (64 °C) in 15 qts. (14 L) of water, and hold this temperature for 60 minutes. Infuse with boiling water or direct heating to reach 155 °F (68 °C); hold this temperature for 30 minutes. Raise the temperature by infusion or direct heating to 168 °F (76 °C) to mashout. Add the chocolate and brown malts, and recirculate for 20 minutes. Fly sparge with 168 °F (76 °C) water until 7 gallons (26.5 L) of wort is collected.

Boil the wort for 120 minutes, adding the hops at times indicated in the recipe.

Chill to 66 °F (19 °C). Oxygenate, then pitch the yeast starter. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C) until fermentation is complete. Rack the beer. Prime and bottle condition, or keg and force carbonate to 2.3 volumes.

This morning fermenting away in my snubby.

001.JPG

thinking about another west coast pils but with sabro, azaaca and maybe some citra tomorrow. any suggestions for some good sabro pairings?

Yesterday's brew, Pale Ale, 15 litre

1.95 kg Maris otter
1.4 kg Pale Ale Malt
150g Crystal 120
100g wheat malt

25g Fuggles @60 min
25g Brewers Gold @15 min
26g EKG @15 min
35g Citra @ flameout

Nottingham yeast

OG 1.052
ABV 5.11%
EBC 20.3
IBU 45

Slightly down on OG 1.045
so ABV could well be around 4.6% which is not really a problem.
In brewing 'fridge' at 22 degrees and bubbling away nicely this morning.

Latest posts

Back