What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After actually looking at the weather forecast earlier this week, decided to take my first steps with Kveik today to brew a (hopefully!) inoffensive summer golden ale. I need to dial in my boil losses, as I overshot my preboil gravity by 6 points (1.046) but only overshot my OG by 1 point (1.050) and ended up with 2 or so more litres in the FV (which is, of course, no bad thing).

Wanted to keep this simple with just a FWH charge to 20 IBU so as to explore what the yeast has to offer with no temperature control over the hot weekend ahead...

Apollo Kveik - 4.9%
British Golden Ale

Batch Size : 20 L
Boil Time : 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 64.2%
Mash Efficiency: 70.6%

IBU : 20 (Tinseth)
Color : 6 EBC
Carbonation : 2.4 CO2-vol
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.040
Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV: 4.9%

Fermentables (5 kg)
2.5 kg - Lager Malt 3 EBC (50%)
2.5 kg - Pale Ale Low Colour Maris Otter 3 EBC (50%)

Hops (8.5 g)
First Wort - 8.5 g - Apollo - 18.7% (20 IBU)

Miscellaneous
10 min - Boil - 5 g - Irish Moss

Yeast
0.5 pkg - Lallemand (LalBrew) Voss Kveik

Mash profile
Medium fermentability
67 °C - 60 min

Fermentation Profile
Kveik
35 °C - however many days - Primary

Planning on splitting this after primary has completed, keeping one half as is and dry hopping The other half with 20g of Ekuanot.

The Krausen is rising. My stock is getting low...

I decided to just pitch half a pack of the Lallemand Voss, sprinkled directly onto wort at 35°C. No nutrient, but I did find a 4 years out of date pack of Mauribrew yeast that I chucked in the boil for the last 10mins.

A few hours later and there’s already plenty of activity with a nice white creamy Krausen forming. Looks like a bubble bath (and is probably about the right temperature!). Ambient temperature in the brew garage is currently 29° and the fermenter feels warmer than that, so 🤷‍♂️ - it’s a brave new world.:laugh8:

One thing I did notice with this brew was the amount of hot break during the boil. Honestly, it was like boiling 20 odd litres of split milk! Don’t know if this was a function of the grain bill, the low hopping rate or just that it was more visible in the light wort.⁉

One thing I did notice with this brew was the amount of hot break during the boil. Honestly, it was like boiling 20 odd litres of split milk! Don’t know if this was a function of the grain bill, the low hopping rate or just that it was more visible in the light wort.⁉

I remember now! Oh, my heat addled brain...

I started the sparge and then remembered I hadn’t done a Vorlauf:rolleyes:. And as the wort was being drawn onto the FWH, I couldn’t step back and use what I’d already collected. Well, that explains the extra hot break!

21 litres of APA from the GH book with Kveik (voss) pitched at 38°C and set brewfridge to 35°C

Fermentables

5 Kg Pale (book says 6Kg but I'm brewing 21L)
Mashed @ 66°C 60mins
Mashout @ 75°C 10mins

Hops used

Citra 29g @ 60mins
Citra 15g @ 10mins
Simcoe 15g @ 10mins
Citra 44g @ flameout (80°)
Simcoe 44g @ flameout

Yeast

CML Kveik (voss)

OG 1.050

If it's anything like the last one I did with this yeast I should be drinking it this time next week

I brewed a Voss old ale (OG ended up around ~ 1.06) and am very glad for my blow off tube. Should try cooling it slightly and replacing the bottle of sanitiser?

Attachments

• IMG_20200808_164127246.jpg
    IMG_20200808_164127246.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 110
11 way split experiment. Was going to be 9 yeasts + 1 spunded but I've changed that.

1.5 litres each of the wort brewed at 37c with
BEòIR , gretel, kolsh, us pale, hell, belgian, s-33, MJ36 Liberty Bell and MJ44 West Coast

Then as I haven't use the first two before I'll do 4.5 litres of each at normal temperatures which will be a nice way of comparing them.

9 pop bottles I've step drilled for airlocks and two demijohns if you're wondering.

Beer is pale, wheat, special x, biscuit. cascade, columbus for 27 IBUs. No real style target - just slinging stuff in without making it too overpowering.

11 way split experiment. Was going to be 9 yeasts + 1 spunded but I've changed that.

1.5 litres each of the wort brewed at 37c with
BEòIR , gretel, kolsh, us pale, hell, belgian, s-33, MJ36 Liberty Bell and MJ44 West Coast

Then as I haven't use the first two before I'll do 4.5 litres of each at normal temperatures which will be a nice way of comparing them.

9 pop bottles I've step drilled for airlocks and two demijohns if you're wondering.

Beer is pale, wheat, special x, biscuit. cascade, columbus for 27 IBUs. No real style target - just slinging stuff in without making it too overpowering.

Looking forward to hearing about this!

Following up on my Hammer of Thor kit brew which I did on 27th July, I placed the hop tea bag in the wort on the 4th August, as there had been no airlock activity for the last 2 days.
Today I removed the teabag, carefully, so as not to split it as the last one I did split on me and half the contents fell into the wort!
OG reading was 1046, FG 1004 so the ABV works out at 5.5%. Not as high as claimed on the packaging. All bottled in combination of 28 x 500ml. amber swing tops, a 1 litre green PET bottle and 21 x 330ml. clear SOL bottles.
I am going to have to cut down on my brewing as I am running out of bottles! Got just enough to cover my Raspberry and Mango TC which will be ready to bottle in another 12 days or so.
I am going to have to drink faster so as to free up some glassware!

Its a tough job, but someone has got to do it! :beer1::beer1::beer1:

Following up on my Hammer of Thor kit brew which I did on 27th July, I placed the hop tea bag in the wort on the 4th August, as there had been no airlock activity for the last 2 days.
Today I removed the teabag, carefully, so as not to split it as the last one I did split on me and half the contents fell into the wort!
OG reading was 1046, FG 1004 so the ABV works out at 5.5%. Not as high as claimed on the packaging. All bottled in combination of 28 x 500ml. amber swing tops, a 1 litre green PET bottle and 21 x 330ml. clear SOL bottles.
I am going to have to cut down on my brewing as I am running out of bottles! Got just enough to cover my Raspberry and Mango TC which will be ready to bottle in another 12 days or so.
I am going to have to drink faster so as to free up some glassware!

Its a tough job, but someone has got to do it! :beer1::beer1::beer1:

Will you be needing any help with the drinking? ;)

I just can't help myself!
I've only gone and brewed a Gozdawa Legacy Brewery Lager!
It comes in a single 1.7kg kit and a packet of yeast. No marking on the foil packet to say what type the yeast is.
I added a 1kg pack of Better Brew brewing sugar. Made it slightly short to 22 litres. OG a lowly 1036! Added the yeast which they suggest should be added to 100ml of cooled boiled water and left to stand for 30 mins. which I did and added it to the wort.

I’m moving on to my plum porter next at 5.7% it’s a bit down on the triple. I poured this when I got home from Somerset and put it in the fridge to cool so it’s a bit flat now - why there’s no head. It’s definitely not as nice as when it comes from the keg so I’m looking forward to that air conditioning being delivered on Tuesday. Cool and well carbonated, heaven!

290724EF-FD12-4054-B7D4-8817B93C62BF.jpeg

I’m moving on to my plum porter next at 5.7% it’s a bit down on the triple. I poured this when I got home from Somerset and put it in the fridge to cool so it’s a bit flat now - why there’s no head. It’s definitely not as nice as when it comes from the keg so I’m looking forward to that air conditioning being delivered on Tuesday. Cool and well carbonated, heaven!

View attachment 30687
Still got your plum porter and sweet stout in the fridge to drink.. been waiting for the temperature to drop a little

started up the saison. still trying to figure out the logistics of cooling the fermenters off for the next couple days.

20200809_061830.jpg

started up the saison. still trying to figure out the logistics of cooling the fermenters off for the next couple days.

View attachment 30695

As it’s a saison, and as you say, you’re only looking to keep it cool for the first couple of days before looking to raise to the kind of ambient temperatures we’re having at the mo. What are you fermenting the two batches in? If you don’t have a cool enough corner if your brew space, do you have a couple of flexi-tubs, or big enough buckets, so you can just use a water bath, throwing in some cooler blocks or frozen water filled pop bottles every few hours during the day?

Back