What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As it’s a saison, and as you say, you’re only looking to keep it cool for the first couple of days before looking to raise to the kind of ambient temperatures we’re having at the mo. What are you fermenting the two batches in? If you don’t have a cool enough corner if your brew space, do you have a couple of flexi-tubs, or big enough buckets, so you can just use a water bath, throwing in some cooler blocks or frozen water filled pop bottles every few hours during the day?
thanks for the idea. i have ssbrewtech brew buckets. i think for now i will leave them in refrigerator during the day and pull them out at night when it is cooler, this should keep temps under 20. i may also just move them in and out every four hours for now.

thanks for the idea. i have ssbrewtech brew buckets. i think for now i will leave them in refrigerator during the day and pull them out at night when it is cooler, this should keep temps under 20. i may also just move them in and out every four hours for now.

I started fermenting my Saison! at 26C. It’s now heated to 29C and on Tuesday I will turn up the heat again to 30C.

Bit of a session pseudo lager

4.25kg Bestmalz pilsner
200g sugar

23g magnum @FWH (90 mins) 36 IBU - I like to match the IBU to the OG on my low alcohol brews
30g saaz @30
20g saaz @10
20g saaz @whirlpool (15 mins at 69C)

W34 @ 18C

OG 1.036

Used makro water, and added gypsum, CRS and Calcium Chloride to match the profile of @samale 's water. His beer had such an amazingly lovely flinty hit to it that I'm going to try to replicate the water to see if that is what caused it!

Last edited:
I started fermenting my Saison! at 26C. It’s now heated to 29C and on Tuesday I will turn up the heat again to 30C.
I actually started it there too couldn't get it cooled more than that. Both are now down to about 24 in the fridge. I am super cautious about fusels as they tend to spoil a batch for me, do you ever have issues with them? we will have to swap Aug 9 Saison! s when they are done.

4.25kg Bestmalz pilsner
200g sugar

23g magnum @FWH (90 mins) 36 IBU - I like to match the IBU to the OG on my low alcohol brews
30g saaz @30
20g saaz @10

W34 @ 18C

OG 1.036

Used makro water, and added gypsum, CRS and Calcium Chloride to match the profile of @samale 's water. His beer had such an amazingly lovely flinty hit to it that I'm going to try to replicate the water to see if that is what caused it!
Good luck with this, let me know it turns out. 👍

4.25kg Bestmalz pilsner
200g sugar

30g saaz @30
20g saaz @10

W34 @ 18C

OG 1.036

Good luck with this, let me know it turns out. 👍

I actually started it there too couldn't get it cooled more than that. Both are now down to about 24 in the fridge. I am super cautious about fusels as they tend to spoil a batch for me, do you ever have issues with them? we will have to swap Aug 9 Saison! s when they are done.

This is my first time fermenting this warm so it’s a bit of an experiment for me. I normally ferment in the low 20’s. Always happy to have a swap!

Centennial Single Hop Ale, a la Greg Hughes.

IMG-20200809-WA0000.jpg

Centennial Single Hop Ale, a la Greg Hughes.

View attachment 30712
Nice, I love Centennial, if it's anywhere near as good as the GH Amarillo ale I'm drinking right now, it'll be a cracking beer.

Today I brewed a Jaipur clone, based on a recipe I found online, tweaked slightly to my tastes and ingredient availability. Smooth brewday, but struggled to get down to pitching temperature, so its chilling in the brewfridge for a while before I add the yeast.

I brewed a darker beer with pale, dark crystal and chocolate malts. Ive done two pale ale brews previously so this is a first.

Attachments

• 20200809_111346.jpg
    20200809_111346.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200809_132912.jpg
    20200809_132912.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 64
Simple Saison 20 lit.
2kg Maris Otter
500g each, Carapils, Wheat Malt, Flaked Oats, Muntons dry light Malt extract
300g cane sugar. 90 min. Mash at 66 c., 50g Saaz 30 min boil, 50g Saaz hop stand at 69c. Mangrove Jack Saison yeast
Half way through mashing as I post this.
Cheers

SMASH (Almost) EKG 10 Litre batch

OG 1.043 FG 1.011 ABV 4.2%

1.7Kg Muntons Maris Otter
100g Wheat Malt

11g EKG at 15 mins
11g EKG at 5 mins
33g EKG 20 minute Hopstand at 80 deg.C

WLP 005 Yeast

Water Profile
Ca: 87, Mg: 10, Na: 9, Cl: 100, SO4: 100, HCO3: 18

@Moe So I brewed this rather than the GH recipe, so no Carapils and a little Wheat malt instead

Brewed on Saturday but forgot to post. Brewed the DDH Pale recipe from GH bible 23l batch:
3.5kg Pale Malt
1.5kg Wheat Malt
300kg Carapils Malt

50g Simcoe
50g Amarillo
(Both at flame out)

150g Citra
150g Galaxy
(Both to be dry hopped for last 3 days of fermentation)

Lallemand Verdant dried yeast (recipe asked for Wyeast 1318 London Ale III, but I prefer using dried and thought this would be a great substitute)

OG target was 1.049 but overshot to get 1.056. Target FG 1.010. If target FG achieved, likely 6.2% ABV.

Warm weather over the weekend and the yeast has gone nuts. Had to change airlock twice as krausen had breached twice and have no spare tube for blow off.

Some amazing smells being kicked off from the fermenter though 👍😊

Back