What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed on Saturday but forgot to post. Brewed the DDH Pale recipe from GH bible 23l batch:
3.5kg Pale Malt
1.5kg Wheat Malt
300kg Carapils Malt

50g Simcoe
50g Amarillo
(Both at flame out)

150g Citra
150g Galaxy
(Both to be dry hopped for last 3 days of fermentation)

Lallemand Verdant dried yeast (recipe asked for Wyeast 1318 London Ale III, but I prefer using dried and thought this would be a great substitute)

OG target was 1.049 but overshot to get 1.056. Target FG 1.010. If target FG achieved, likely 6.2% ABV.

Warm weather over the weekend and the yeast has gone nuts. Had to change airlock twice as krausen had breached twice and have no spare tube for blow off.

Some amazing smells being kicked off from the fermenter though 👍😊
That sounds nice 👍

Brewed on Saturday but forgot to post. Brewed the DDH Pale recipe from GH bible 23l batch:
3.5kg Pale Malt
1.5kg Wheat Malt
300kg Carapils Malt

50g Simcoe
50g Amarillo
(Both at flame out)

150g Citra
150g Galaxy
(Both to be dry hopped for last 3 days of fermentation)

Lallemand Verdant dried yeast (recipe asked for Wyeast 1318 London Ale III, but I prefer using dried and thought this would be a great substitute)

OG target was 1.049 but overshot to get 1.056. Target FG 1.010. If target FG achieved, likely 6.2% ABV.

Warm weather over the weekend and the yeast has gone nuts. Had to change airlock twice as krausen had breached twice and have no spare tube for blow off.

Some amazing smells being kicked off from the fermenter though 👍😊
I take it that’s from the new version of the book? Sounds good. I have a sachet of the Versldant yeast sitting waiting to be used - 21st is planned at the moment (I’ll be brewing 2 weeks running but I have a liquid yeast for my bitter so need to use that first) for a citra/El Dorado/mosaic/Sorachi NEIPA.

I take it that’s from the new version of the book? Sounds good. I have a sachet of the Versant yeast sitting waiting to be used - 21st is planned at the moment (I’ll be brewing 2 weeks running but I have a liquid yeast for my bitter so need to use that first).
It sure is. Been dithering on brewing it since I got the new edition as it is by far the most expensive brew Ive attempted so far. Fingers crossed it goes well! Really interested how the Verdant yeast turns out.

Simple Saison 20 lit.
2kg Maris Otter
500g each, Carapils, Wheat Malt, Flaked Oats, Muntons dry light Malt extract
300g cane sugar. 90 min. Mash at 66 c., 50g Saaz 30 min boil, 50g Saaz hop stand at 69c. Mangrove Jack Saison yeast
Half way through mashing as I post this.
Cheers
All done! yeast pitched & all equipment cleaned - ended up with 22 lit rather than 20, at 1.048 it should end up st around 1.005 or so - we shall see!!

I take it that’s from the new version of the book? Sounds good. I have a sachet of the Versldant yeast sitting waiting to be used - 21st is planned at the moment (I’ll be brewing 2 weeks running but I have a liquid yeast for my bitter so need to use that first) for a citra/El Dorado/mosaic/Sorachi NEIPA.
I bottled one last night El Dorado Amarillo azacca, with London fog yeast. Colour looks spot on. Hopefully it holds up

I bottled one last night El Dorado Amarillo azacca, with London fog yeast. Colour looks spot on. Hopefully it holds up
It’ll be my first closed transfers so hopefully I’ll not have a problem with oxidisation/colour.

Hopefully I will get to that stage soon
I second that motion. Nervy about oxidation when bottling.
Is oxidation a given in these situations, or is it avoidable if you take great care?
I mean, I know oxygen will be introduced during bottling, but is it a definite that the beer will lose its desired colour, taste etc?

Just started my brew day, Strong Bitter with fuggles & East Kent Golding's, using Thames Valley yeast.
IMG_20200810_185503.jpg

I made a Ciderworks Pear cider kit.
I'm trying to keep it cool as the extreme temperatures we are having are proving to be a nightmare

Is oxidation a given in these situations, or is it avoidable if you take great care?
I mean, I know oxygen will be introduced during bottling, but is it a definite that the beer will lose its desired colour, taste etc?
I wouldn't get too hung up about oxidation during bottling if you use a bottling wand, cap ASAP and store in dark bottles in a dark place. I've never experienced oxidation after bottling but maybe I empty then in a short period.

The priming sugar will take care of some of the dissolved oxygen, you will have oxygen in the air trapped in the head space. Keep the beer in the dark and under 20 C and you will be fine as long as you don't leave it to long, the problem is more for commercial brewers, no temperature control and the shaking during shipment.

I wouldn't get too hung up about oxidation during bottling if you use a bottling wand, cap ASAP and store in dark bottles in a dark place. I've never experienced oxidation after bottling but maybe I empty then in a short period.
The priming sugar will take care of some of the dissolved oxygen, you will have oxygen in the air trapped in the head space. Keep the beer in the dark and under 20 C and you will be fine as long as you don't leave it to long, the problem is more for commercial brewers, no temperature control and the shaking during shipment.

Excellent. Thanks chaps 👍

Pimped Festival Bonfire Toffee stout.

Am looking for something chewier than the lit gives. Hoping this will get there - hopefully more like an imperial stout.

3kg extract from the kit
1.5kg pale malt extract
1kg dextrose
21l brew.

Added extract to 3l hot 55C water, made up to 14l. Just bottled St Peter's Stout, so added 6l tap water (20C!) To the residue, added 1kg sugar and poured in the extract wort. Pitch temp 26C.
Added Lallemand classic ESB starter.
What with the ambient temp atm and all that fermentables hardly surprising it is off like the clappers after 2 hours.

Was thinking of adding 500g golden syrup, but have held off. Thought I might add it in a day or two.

I just can't help myself!
I've only gone and brewed a Gozdawa Legacy Brewery Lager!
It comes in a single 1.7kg kit and a packet of yeast. No marking on the foil packet to say what type the yeast is.
I added a 1kg pack of Better Brew brewing sugar. Made it slightly short to 22 litres. OG a lowly 1036! Added the yeast which they suggest should be added to 100ml of cooled boiled water and left to stand for 30 mins. which I did and added it to the wort.

As the temp got up to 32 degrees according to the stick on temp gauge on the outside of the FV, there was no airlock action at all by Monday 10th August, so I quickly set up a brew fridge with an Inkbird and set the temp to 19 degrees. After around 28 hours, still no airlock activity (now been 76 hours since initial brew) so I took out the FV, popped of the lid and added a Hell lager yeast from CML. Put FV back in brew fridge and will keep an eye on it for signs of airlock bubbling. As mentioned, I initially used the supplied yeast but that was in an unmarked packet.

Hopefully I will see some sort of fermenting activity. athumb..

Remade 19l of fuggle duck after the last batch got infected. Using dried kveik Voss for the first time with it

Iv just started a raspberry cider for the first time any advice on this brew

Just put what was 25l but is now 24l of Cascade pale ale wort in the fridge to finish cooling off, will pitch yeast tomorrow. Got it down to 28C with the help of one bag of ice in my pre-chiller but that was it.

Brewed this yesterday actually, been putting it off after getting Brahms on what I wanted to copy.
Tropical Stout, 19 litres full volume mash in the Guten. Strike water 35 litres, a large grain bill so under some doubt whether this would work. Had to draw off 1 litre to accommodate the fermentables of the grain bill. None fermentables to follow at end of mash.
002.JPG

042.JPG

About 8 mm from the top of the kettle.
001.JPG
A few hours later.

Back