What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woah! Never had an enthusiastic Boil like this before!View attachment 31009
See if your local home brew shop has spirit conditioner, a cap full just before the start of boil and it stops any boilover. I used to have the same problem.

003.JPG

23 litres of Bohemian Pilsner from the GH book (2013)

Fermentables
5Kg of bohemian pilsner malt

Hops
Saaz 77g @ 75mins
Saaz 33g @ turn off <80°C

Yeast
MJ Bohemian Pilsner yeast (11g dried)

Mash 60 mins, boil 75 mins
Predicted OG 1.051 actual OG 1.042 predicted FG 1.010
Fermenting at 12°C and conditioning at 3°C for as long as practical

A great brew day, started at 8am and finished by 2pm and cooked a Lasagne for the wife tonight in between.
Not too bothered about OG as I have 3 kegs full of medium/strong ales in the kegerator.

Had a go at brewing my own “house pale”. This is V1, I’m planning to develop the recipe until happy with it. 50/50 pilsner/Vienna base with a small amount of cara and carawheat.
Challenger for bittering, citra and mosaic flavour, aroma and dry hop.

Having contributed to an earlier post somewhere, where I suggested that we have a bit of a moratorium on New World hops and thoroughly explored what the English hop yards have to offer, I've put my money where my mouth id and decided to use GH's single hop ale recipe to test a few newcomers. Modified the hop bill a bit by bringing up the bitterness from the boiling hops (don't get on with Tinseth) and toning down the later hops. Although its a very pale, pale ale, I'd rather it tasted more like a hoppy bitter than an IPA. Here are the hops I'm trying out: Boadicea, Archer, Jester, Admiral and Olicana; and I've ordered Mystic and Opus (Experimental CF182) which should be here middle of next week. I've got the first two going and I'll get the other three done over the weekend. All 12 litre batches with late hops as follows 15 mins 12 grams; 5 mins 12 grams; flameout 15 grams. US-05 yeast substituted for the US West Coast yeast he prescribes. Trying to keep the temperature down with the first one until the cooler weather kicks in tomorrow.

11 way split experiment. Was going to be 9 yeasts + 1 spunded but I've changed that.

1.5 litres each of the wort brewed at 37c with
BEòIR , gretel, kolsh, us pale, hell, belgian, s-33, MJ36 Liberty Bell and MJ44 West Coast

Then as I haven't use the first two before I'll do 4.5 litres of each at normal temperatures which will be a nice way of comparing them.

9 pop bottles I've step drilled for airlocks and two demijohns if you're wondering.

Beer is pale, wheat, special x, biscuit. cascade, columbus for 27 IBUs. No real style target - just slinging stuff in without making it too overpowering.
I like the sound of this. What pitching rate? 0.5g? Please do post results.

@An Ankoù Sounds like a great idea. Interested to hear how jester turns out. Tried a bottle of Jester Pale Ale from M&S (brewed by Adnams) and it was one of the few ales my wife said she liked. Tasting notes: “The variety, with its soft, aromatic flavours of gooseberry and lychee, brings a touch of New World character to the hop yards of England”. She mainly drinks New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc so that figures!

I had a random pack of jester hops delivered the other day, not sure what to do with them, a pale ale? They are also granules, not pellets, I suppose the principles the same, chuck 'em in?

Going for a Chimay White clone today. I’ve never used as much as 20% Torrified wheat before. Blimey, this takes some stirring!

View attachment 30287

Bottled my Chimay White clone today. OG was down a bit on that suggested in the AG kit version but the MJ M31 yeast took the FG right down to 1.004 so still 8%abv. Didn’t want to keg something that strong so bottled the lot. 39 bottles. I now remember why I moved to kegs!

Last edited:
Having contributed to an earlier post somewhere, where I suggested that we have a bit of a moratorium on New World hops and thoroughly explored what the English hop yards have to offer, I've put my money where my mouth id and decided to use GH's single hop ale recipe to test a few newcomers. Modified the hop bill a bit by bringing up the bitterness from the boiling hops (don't get on with Tinseth) and toning down the later hops. Although its a very pale, pale ale, I'd rather it tasted more like a hoppy bitter than an IPA. Here are the hops I'm trying out: Boadicea, Archer, Jester, Admiral and Olicana; and I've ordered Mystic and Opus (Experimental CF182) which should be here middle of next week. I've got the first two going and I'll get the other three done over the weekend. All 12 litre batches with late hops as follows 15 mins 12 grams; 5 mins 12 grams; flameout 15 grams. US-05 yeast substituted for the US West Coast yeast he prescribes. Trying to keep the temperature down with the first one until the cooler weather kicks in tomorrow.
I really like this idea. I have done two recently, Mozart and flyer, was super pleased with both of them. Might dig out some more.

I really like this idea. I have done two recently, Mozart and flyer, was super pleased with both of them. Might dig out some more.
Planning similar with mystic and Nonsuch in the autumn as not sure what to do with them... Need to understand the hop flavours better than I do now 😕

Yesterdays brew, never seem to get round to putting the details on here 'on the day' !

Pale ale, 15 litre

2.9 kg pale Ale malt
350g Caramalt
100g Wheat malt
100g Crystal

15g Brewers Gold @ 60 min
15g Amarillo @ 60min
15g Amarillo @ 15 min
30g Amarillo @ FO

Lallemand New England yeast

OG 1.050
FG 1.013
ABV 4.91%
EBC 17.1
IBU 44.8

45 min mash
60 min boil

29L of what was meant to be a sessionable pale ale, but came in a whopping 8 points over target at 1.057 to make a woefully under hopped IPA asad1
Maybe there was more than the 3kg I 'calculated' was left in the sack of crafty malsters pale, or maybe the 3kg of Simpson's extra pale I used for the first time is super-potent 🤷‍♂️

20200817_175420.jpg

A gallon of Saison!

At least, from the research I've done, I think that's what this is:

45 min mash
45 min boil

750g Table malt
100g Wheat malt
50g Munich malt

10g Fuggles @ 45 mins
10g EKG @ 5 minutes

CML Lille Saison yeast

OG 1.040
FG 1.013
ABV 3.5%
EBC 10.6
IBU 27

19/08/2020

was meant to re-brew my no-gaarden (Belgian wit) til I discovered no dried wheat extract 😭 forgotten i'd used it for my dunkleweisen 🙄

so did a Belgian triple instead...

20g simcoe - 15 min boil with 5 litres water.
5g dried ground coriander
2kg DME light
500g DWE
500g DME Amber
500g clear candi sugar rocks
150g soft brown sugar
MJ Belgian Triple yeast
pitch at 23.5
OG 1.068 at 24C - before adjusting for hydrometer & temp
20.5 Litres

Monday I made an MJ IPA, used 1kg of DME and swapped out the yeast for M-44, dry hopping with cascade/simcoe when fermentation has finished. OG 1.052

Today I made an MJ simcoe IPA, used 1kg of DME and swapped out the M-44 for Kveik Voss, dry hopping with simcoe at the end of fermentation. OG 1.060

Huell Melon Pale Ale mashing now. I noticed these hops on special offer for only a quid something for 100g last time I placed an order With the HBC so I grabbed a pack. Heard mixed reviews on them since so could go one way or the other I suppose!

Latest posts

Back