What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unintentional Experimental Belgian Wheat Dubbel

Due to a misread on the packaging and unintentionally adding 1.5kg Belgian Wheat Malt I've brewed Experimental Belgian Wheat Dubbel.

So 4kg Belgian Pilsner Malt
1.5kg Begian Wheat Malt
400g Special W Malt
250g Caramunich II
500g Light Candi Sugar at 15 min
25g EKG at 60 min
15g Tetnang at 15 min
20g Hersbrucker at 15 min

Mangrove Jack Belgian Ale Yeast

Should be interesting...

Old Hooky Clone
This is my third brew and am slowly developing it on each successive brew.

15 litre batch
2.64 Kgs Maris Otter
290g Flaked maize
160g Crystal Medium
70g Dextrose
60g Black

Hops
20g Challenger at 60
15g Fuggles at 10
8g EKG dry hop

half a whirfloc tablet at 5 mins

Yeast WLP002 from starter

Fermentation, 4 days at 18C, 1 day at 19C, 9 days @ 20C

Water Profile
Ca: 151, Mg: 12, Na: 21, Cl: 97, SO4: 261, HCO3: 49

Last posted here end of January 2020 – much has happened in the meantime. Anyway, I had planned a BIAB brew for February to stock up with some decent ale and had already received the ingredients but then lockdown came and brewing went on the back burner, so to speak. So on Friday evening I had the kitchen reserved for a full BIAB session and here are the details. Warning – this is a bit lengthy …. And sorry no pix, I’d rather concentrate on the brew.

Old Soldiers Ale (based on an American recipe)

Target 5 US Gallons (19L) – Strike Volume 25L (finger in the air!)

5.0 kg Maris Otter
1.0 kg Munich Light
0.3 kg Crystal Light
50g Willamette Hops (90 mins)
50g Willamette Hops (10 mins)
1 tab Irish Moss (10 mins)
Irish Ale Yeast WLP004 PurePitch pack

75 mins full mash in the bag (between 68 and 64C)
90 mins rolling boil (50L stock pot)
20 mins wort cooling to 25C (copper thingy)

Overall I was quite pleased with myself, everything was well organised (so I thought). One improvement I made saved me a lot of bother: a fully soaked brew bag is very heavy and I am just not able to lift it out of the pot let alone squeeze the last liquid out of it, plus the extractor hood is in the way. For a couple of Pounds I bought a conical kitchen strainer and used that to scoop out at least half the grain load into another strainer and bowl and then the bag was easy to get out with a good squeeze.

At the start of the session I wasn’t feeling too well and decided to finish everything a fast as possible. So I decided not to take gravity readings – how wrong can it go?

Anyway, boil and cooling finished drained wort into the FV – but only 17 litres!*?*!
Couldn’t have lost eight litres due to mash and boil. The problem must have been I filled only up to 20 litres – using a five litre measuring jug and got my count wrong … dohh! Then a bright spark: add water to 19 litres – it’s just swings and roundabouts isn’t it? Pitched the liquid yeast straight from the packet (it was already a month out of date, but kept in the fridge). By midnight everything was cleared up.

Saturday 7am a quick peek, no visible activity and none at 7pm. OK I’ll dig out a packet of yeast and on Sunday morning I’ll pitch that – but 7am Sunday the bubbles were racing to the surface and through the air lock – seems all is working.

OK – I won’t have a clue about the %age but should be somewhere between 5 and 6% - fingers crossed.

I brewed 23 litres of Bad Cat Imperial Red. OG 1060 so should come out around 6.5 to 6.8% which is more than adequate but not to the claimed 7.5% on the kit box!

Blackcurrant jam "sherry"

Ingredients/equipment

4 * 450g jars of Co-op blackcurrant jam = £4

1 * teaspoon of Youngs desert yeast = 20p (a guess)

1 * teaspoon of yeast nutrient = 20p (a guess)

1 * campden tablet to sterilize the initial brew prior to fermentation = 5p (a guess)

A few splashes of cheap, thin, unscented bleach to sterilize all equipment = cost negligible

No sugar required because the amount of sugar in the jam is enough to bring potential ABV to about 14% in a 4.5 litre dilution with water

2 * teaspoons of pectolase to deal with pectin = 20p (a guess)

2 * empty two litre PET bottles = paid for long ago and they were pennies when I got them from Aldi

1 * demijohn, 1 * airlock bung, 1 * solid bung, 1 * airlock, 1 * funnel, some denier tights and 1 * 4 litre measuring jug bought long ago

method

Empty the jars of jam into a large pan. Add a couple of litres of water and bring to a low boil and leave at a low boil for twenty minutes to drive of any preservatives. Then leave to cool

Once cool, add enough water to bring it up to 4.5 litres. Check the potential ABV at this point. In the case of the Co-op blackcurrant jam, this comes to 14%.

Pour into the clean demijohn, add a crushed campden tablet and leave for 24 hours stopped up with the solid bung.

After 24 hours elapsed, add the yeast nutrient, pectolase and yeast and stop up with the airlock bung and airlock and leave to ferment out to fully dry. This should take about a couple of weeks.

Once fermented out, stretch the tights over the funnel and place it in the top of a PET bottle. Siphon contents of the demijohn through this into the both PET bottles. There is no need to worry too much about yeast and sediment in the bottom of the demijohn as the tights will filter this out for the most part. Leave an inch or two at the top of the bottles for freeze expansion (see below for further details). Any wine left over in the demijohn can be put aside in another container and left in the fride to be consumed as ordinary strength wine or for cooking.

Screw the tops on the PET bottles and place them in the freezer for around 3 days until they have gone solid.

After 3 days, take the bottles out, turn them upside down in some containers, such as large pans, and allow 50% of their contents to melt out. Discard the ice left in the bottles.

Bottle up the 2 litres of fortified wine. Which will now be somewhere around 22% to 26% ABV.

Because this has no other ingredients apart from blackcurrants, it does not need to age and can be consumed more or less immediately. But, because of the high ABV, it is extremely stable for long term storage.

Mine never seems to last that long.

Works out at around £2.50 a litre at approximately 25% ABV and tastes grand.

For more of a "wine"/"sherry" flavour, do the following:

Boil a litre of water, pour it over 300g of raisins you have macerated in a blender, throw in 3 teabags and leave overnight. In the morning, squeeze the liquid through a pillow case into a clean bucket and discard the contents of the pillow case. Then add the liquid to the original jam and water mixture to bring it up to 4.5 litres including the addition of further water if required. Then put it in the demijohn and proceed as previously described. This will need to be aged for a bit though for the flavours to combine and taste its best. The final ABV will probs be in the later 20s though because of the sugar in the raisins. Or, you could allow more to melt out at the freeze fractionation stage in order to bring the ABV out lower. You will need to experiment.

Last edited:
With invaluable help from my grandson, 34 gallons of ‘Autumnal Ale’, with an OG of 44.5. Fingers firmly crossed that the lethargic-looking yeast wakes up, and does something useful by the morning.

I made a bit of a Frankenstein's monster today, I'd been reading on here about using cornflakes in beer so I took this to the logical conclusion and made a gallon of...something:

500g Pale Ale Malt
100g Tesco Rice snaps
100g Tesco Cornflakes
100g Tesco Malt wheats
100g Tesco organic oats

4g Cascade @ 30 minutes
4g Cascade @ 5 minutes

CML Beirm 'Five' yeast

OG 1040

If nothing else, this could be an excellent excuse to have beer for breakfast, I think I'll call it 'Cereale' 😄

I racked my two cider tester bottles and then promptly poured away two bottles of vinegar.

It's a learning experience! On the plus side (cide?) they both brewed and I know how to make vinegar.
I also know where I went wrong, I had air leaks. My sink is sparkling too!

Evening brew day today. Brewing a Cream ale/Witbier hybrid inspired by a beer I had in the beer52 online beer festival earlier in the year.
Screenshot_20200826-164559.jpg

Latest posts

Back