What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got everything just about ready for a Japanese rice lager tonight - thought I’d do a lager since my bottle stocks are still high.

It’s pretty much the Greg Hughes recipe, but I’ve upped the Sorachi ace (60mins, 15mins and flameout - 40g in total) and made it single hop (I think GH late hops with saaz).

Got everything just about ready for a Japanese rice lager tonight - thought I’d do a lager since my bottle stocks are still high.

It’s pretty much the Greg Hughes recipe, but I’ve upped the Sorachi ace (60mins, 15mins and flameout - 40g in total) and made it single hop (I think GH late hops with saaz).
Do you mind posting the recipe, sound's interesting. I must buy the book. Would you recommend first or second edition. Not much different in price

Do you mind posting the recipe, sound's interesting. I must buy the book. Would you recommend first or second edition. Not much different in price
I’ve done my usual and amended the GH recip - gone with:
4kg lager malt
500g flaked rice

5g Sorachi Ace 60mins
15g Sorachi Ace 10mins
20g Sorachi Ace flameout

Ferment with Lallemand Diamond

I only have the first edition so can’t comment on which is best.

Last edited:
Was meant to brew today but did the math and I`d only finish at 11 pm and work tomorrow.
Roll on Sunday , brewing a funky stout.

Raw oatmeal stout
5kg redx
700g porridge oats
500g Munich
300g roasted barley
300g chocolate
200g special W
I put this on around lunch time at 66 degree's. I will finish it off later with a quick mash out. Hop tea with EKG

This is a bit of a mixed bag but should be good. Mosiac & Simcoe pale ale
3kg Vienna
1kg of light Munich
1 kg wheat
15 g of Simcoe & 15g mosiac @ 15 mins
35g of each @ hopstand
50g of each dry hop on day 10

Pia yeast

After it was suggested in the what are you drinking thread by @Slid that the Graham Wheeler recipe for Old Peculier is pretty decent I decided to give it a go. Just doing a one gallon batch which should hopefully yield 4l in the end.

My efficiency wasn’t great on this came in at 1.046 (brewers friend came in at 1.058 so suspect something went a bit wrong). While tempted to add some DME to bring up the gravity I have decided to just add the yeast and hope for the best.

So I had a go at @Pennine spring stout. This was the recipe I went with
5kg Maris otter
560g caramunich 1
200g chocolate rye
140 chateau café light
250g porridge oats
250g golden naked oats
250 carafa 2 plus 150g carafa 3

50g cascade @60 mins
30g Chinook @ flameout
30g Chinook @ hopstand

My numbers are well out. I got 14 litres at 1.090 og. I mashed low so if it gets to 1.025 I have an 8.5% stout.
Over all I am happy, nice recipe to follow, I will add the vanilla extract at bottling.
It's cooling now before adding the T58 yeast. Played it safe it's in a 23 litre fermentor. 👍
Just an update on this. I am bottling it tonight. It dropped from 1.090 to 1.022 so just short of 9%. The sample tastes fantastic, time to add the vanilla and package it up.

Just started brewing a Ritchies Simply Bitter kit. Used 1 Kg of Mangrove Jacks Spray malt and have some pelleted Cascade hops to add a bit later. Bit of an experiment this one but bubbling away nicely at 22.5 degrees. I have been considering using Demerara sugar for priming when it goes in the Corny. Never tried this combination before so fingers crossed 🤞

I've been searching for a beer that I can use as basis for a house bitter, so today I brewed a clone of Abbot Ale, that I hope to be able to tweak in the future to get my ideal recipe. I chose Abbot because it is fairly neutral in terms of hop flavours and (just) in the sweet spot in terms of ABV, which for my taste is 5.0 - 6.5%. May try making a stronger version next time, closer to the Abbot Reserve, which I also enjoy.

Variation of the Greg Hughes dunkelweizen recipe.

2.7kg wheat malt
2.3kg Munich
0.3kg Special W (couldn't get Special B)
0.3kg Caramunich III

Aimed for 1056, came out at 1052. 22l in the fermenter, WLP300 (harvested from a Hefeweissen I bottled last week) pitched at about 8pm last night at 17c and it was already going berserk when I checked at 9am this morning. Blowoff tube fitted and I'm having to squeeze off surplus CO2 every hour or so to stop the bucket lid blowing!

High hopes as the hefe the yeast was harvested from has turned out lovely, one of the best beers I've done yet.

I had a second attempt at a Bohemian Pilsner today, pretty bog standard SMaSH (Weyermanns floor malted Bohemian Pilsner malt and Saaz), I'm sort of trying to create a Staropramen clone without actually putting too much effort into it.

I only did a second batch (I bottled the first batch last week) as I realised a couple of days ago that the reason all my FG readings were consistently very high was because my thermometer is broken, it keeps reading several degrees lower than it should...😞

Long story short, I used two different thermometers this time which gave identical readings so an acceptable mash temp, I'll be getting a fancy digital one on Friday so hopefully all my future brews will be perfect.

Latest posts

Back