What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently brewing a west coast style IPA with Chinook mainly in the boil, with a whirlpool of Idaho 7 & centennial and will be dry hopped with centennial and Simcoe. Using MJ New World yeast(think that's what it's called). Should be around 7%.
IMG_20200913_221641.jpg

I did a two gallon batch of red ale, just a simple red x and magnum SMaSH, I usually only do a gallon at a time but thought I'd experiment by doubling it...

Turned out reasonably well but I had to spend about half an hour cleaning up afterwards, I think I'll stick to doing individual gallons in future!

Just bottled a 23L Cooper's kit, it's their northern European lager.
I then bunged a load of lemonade and orange juice on the slurry. Blended two ginger roots and a lime to add to it.

Should come out at around 3% before priming.
That sounds interesting. What is it?! Like crabbies ginger beer?

Last edited:
I brewed a kit today (cos I'm getting pee'd off at postage costs for grain); the Festival Old Suffolk Strong Ale. Nice kit with two 1.5kg malt pouches, 1kg dextrose, 50g boadicea hops, hop bag and 90g priming dextrose. Makes 23l of 6%. I chucked in the 90g bag too.
Interestingly my OG is either 1.057, or 1.052 depending on refractometer and hydrometer readings respectively 🤔
Would the temperature difference be a factor? The tiny refractometer sample would be a lot cooler than the trial jar which was at 23°C. House temp about 18.

Just done a mangrove Jack's American pale ale added 1kg brew enhancer, yeast was MJ empire ale , brewed short 20lts, start gravity 1.046. Can't wait
I bottled one of these on 25th March which was also made up with 1kg of brew enhancer and find the sediment a bit too ready to lift off the bottom of the bottle but maybe a few weeks more maturation will sort it. I would be interested to hear of your experience in a few weeks time.

Brewed up a Munich Helles today. I now have three serving kegs running so I have the luxury of time to play this one by the book.
I didn't have enough Pilsner malt as I used a portion earlier for an impromptu Raspberry Wheat, so added 1kg of MO to 3.5kg Pils and 100g Munich. I was also short on IBU with the Saaz as it was only 2.4% alpha, so added 5g of Columbus at a whopping 17.8% alpha! Shooting for 22ibu.
I always seem to be a little low on BS predicted OG on the Braumeister, I used to mash with 25l until I got lazy recently and have been doing full volume mashes and the extraction suffered even more as expected. I mashed in with 23l today and overshot OG by two points at 1.052, I have no problem with that result!
20200915_230935.jpg

I was also very careful with temperatures while rehydration the Lalbrew Diamond yeast (2 packs). I found the stir plate I built was strong enough to have a water bath sat on it with a stir bar spinning in the regulating water, then a spacer holding the flask of yeast above it with its own stir bar going too!
20200915_215348.jpg

Its been a long brew day, but I'm looking forward to #44 Helles Bells Margaret! (reference to a quote from Adam Savage from Tested)!

I found the stir plate I built was strong enough to have a water bath sat on it with a stir bar spinning in the regulating water, then a spacer holding the flask of yeast above it with its own stir bar going too!
That's some stirplate. What type of magnets did you use? You must be about 20mm off the stirplate and having a magnetic field work through that "Le Creuset" dish! I can only manage at max a 5mm distance between my old hard drive magnets and a stirbar before the stirbar decides it wants to do its own thing.

That's some stirplate. What type of magnets did you use?
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised too! 😆 From memory I think I used two stacks of three coin shaped neodymium magnets I had leftover from some other project. I actually had originally put more on when I built it but it was pulling the bar down too tightly it was slowing itself down!

Hurray, got my first brew on the go for years.
Picked up some Milton today after putting equipment in very old sterilising tablet liquid I made up.

I've winged/rushed it so hopefully ok .
4ltr apple juice,
200ml raspberry lowicz,
4 squirts lime juice.
Two teabag tea,
Sprinkle of pectolase,
1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient,
A funnel of sugar, lol
5g Wilko wine yeast,

Wasn't sure whether to split the wine yeast in half and use the other half to get another going tomorrow ???

Fingers crossed 🤞

The ball and chain won't be happy when she sees all the equipment out 🤣

IMG_20200918_184059772.jpg

Hopefully get more on the go over the weekend 😊

Edit,
I sneaked some more sugar in,
I should of measured how much, was concerned i never put enough in, (possibly 250g)
So put about another 250g in 😳🤔

Last edited:
Bottling my mosiac Simcoe pale ale. This is the first time I put pellets in loose. It's been cold crashing at 2 degrees for a week now. Not liking the floaters. I think I will go back to bags. I am currently racking into another bottling bucked to eliminate the floaters, which I hate doing.
IMG_20200919_141155291.jpg

Got this Wilko lager going,
Date on the can is march 2015 :D
Bought a sachet of mangrove jack's Bavarian lager yeast M76.

I've just noticed it says ferment at 8-14 degrees .
That seems low ???
I'm going to struggle to get the temp down to that,
Anyone got any suggestions please ??

IMG_20200919_142753333.jpg

I have loads of beer in stock but I don't have a Saison. So it's my take on @Keats & @Hazelwood cardamom & coriander SAISON.
5kg pilsner
600g wheat
200g of torrified wheat
200g biscuit

15g magnum@60mins
Teaspoon of coriander & 2x cardamom pods @5mins
40g EKG@ 5mins

Yeast is be-134
Not sure on figures but I am going to dilute back so I can hit a 5.5 % Saison. My last was 7% lovely but dangerous.

Last edited:
Two Cocks Brewery Musket Bitter. For some unbeknownst reason, one gets a free feather with every purchase. The beer itself was spot on after a day in thr fresh air. 3.8%, straightforward, caramelly, malty ale. Very easy to drink. Moving on to a St Austell Proper Black IPA next.

Traditional English Pale ale:
1kg malt partial mash
2Kg light DME
East Kent Goldings & Bramling Cross hops

Switched from sparging through an old steamer to a net bag & a large colender. I might try 1.5Kg grains next time - possibly going up to 2Kg if it goes well, but might be pushing the limits of my boiling pan.

Brewed APA today.. (Jon Finch)

Crisp Pale Ale Malt (3500 grams)
Crisp Crystal Malt (500 grams)
20g Northern Brewer Hops – Boil 60 min
20g Cascade Hops – Boil 45 min
20g Cascade Hops – Boil 10 min
50g Cascade Hops – Steep 0 min
SafAle S-04

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_9342.jpg

IMG_0468.PNG

IMG_0469.jpg

Er, an out of date Woodfordes Wherry kit (sell by Jan 2017).

Having discarded the supplied dried yeast, I substituted a Wilko Gervin English Ale Yeast 11g.

Brewed just short to 22 litres and into my brew fridge.

First brewday in over a month yesterday (defo more of a faff without a kitchen)

30L golden ale
95% Pop's pale ale malt
5% Crisp rye

20 IBUs Columbus for bittering
20g each Mosaic & Simcoe at 10mins
30g each Mosaic & Simcoe whirlpool
And will get
50g each Mosaic & Simcoe dry hop

Using 1pack of Pia and 1 pack of Bry-97

acheers.
20200919_133206.jpg
20200919_190038.jpg

Mixed blessing of coming off 2 weeks of nightshift; woke up at 3am, got up at half 4, boil should be done about 7:55 just as everyone else is up and getting breakfast.

Small batch of a Scottish 60/- based on the recipe from Josh Weikert's "make your best" series.

Latest posts

Back