What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
13 litres of Grapefruit IPA
Recipe based on 15 litres
3300g MO
100g Acid malt
100g Rolled oats
300g Dextrose
60 mash at 65C
60 boil
20g & 15g Mandarina at 60 & 10 minutes.
30g Grapefruit peel at 15 minutes.
OG 1066
To follow
30g peel after 3 days in primary
200g juice in 2FV for 1 day.

I brewed one of the three out of date kits I bought from Wilko's on Wednesday at half price! £6.00 each! Nice.

It is a Geordie Scottish Export, sell by date end of August 2020.

Brewed to 22 litres with 1 kilo Wilko brewing sugar and 500 g. of Munton's LDME. OG 1044, quite respectable I thought.

Used the supplied yeast and sprinkled on top then sealed the lid of the FV.

9L of Ordinary Bitter

1.9KG Maris Otter
.1KG Medium Crystal

Mashed at 66 degrees for 60 minutes (I think my digital thermometer decided to give out on me so was using an old glass one)

Hops
12g Fuggles @90 minutes
12g East Kent Goldings @90 minutes
8g East Kent Golding @10 minutes

Ended up with 11L in the fermentor at 1.036 but giving my normal losses to trub 9L is the actual expected yield. I’m fermenting with S-04 and expect it to finish out at about 1.009 +/- a few points so about 3.5%.

This:

https://www.ballastpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Polaris-IPA-All-Grain-Recipe.pdf
The homebrew recipe that went on to become Ballast Point Sculpin, the best US IPA I've ever tasted. I've always been slightly disappointed at the big hoppy beers I've brewed, they've never come out as clean or crisp tasting as the commercials - the hop flavours and aromas always seem to "muddy" somewhat. Hopefully this one will be different.

1 gal stout
Imperial Malt 77.8%
Brown Malt 8.3%
Flaked Maize 8.3%
Black Malt 3.9%
Golden Syrup (Boil) 1.7%
Hops just 4g of challenger at 60 & 30 minutes, fermented with Nottingham dry
May add cold pressed coffee after a week but probably not on this one
Slightly undershot OG at 1.043

Brewed a GH recipe today, 60 minute IPA with Amarillo, Cascade and Chinook, subbed yeast for MJ M-44. Only decided to brew this one at the last minute as I intended doing the APA on the next page but thought I'd give this a go as I had all the hops in stock.

This:

https://www.ballastpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Polaris-IPA-All-Grain-Recipe.pdf
The homebrew recipe that went on to become Ballast Point Sculpin, the best US IPA I've ever tasted. I've always been slightly disappointed at the big hoppy beers I've brewed, they've never come out as clean or crisp tasting as the commercials - the hop flavours and aromas always seem to "muddy" somewhat. Hopefully this one will be different.
Thanks for sharing, might give it a go.

Thanks for sharing, might give it a go.
There are loads of good recipes on their site - apparently they started out as homebrewers before going commercial. I've done the Belgian Pale Ale, San Diego Pale Ale & New Horizon session IPA already, and I've got the ingredients in to do the Blonde Ale - the full list is here: Beer Recipes | Ballast Point

Moved my Graham Wheeler Summer Lightening extract clone to the pressure barrel after three weeks in the fermenter. Looks pretty clear already, although a touch darker than the real thing. May need a fair while conditioning before the taste is anywhere near! Boiled the hop pellets to make a tea, which I'm not sure I needed to do with pellets.

Half of my first Wherry kit straight into the vacated fermenter.

Bottling my mosiac Simcoe pale ale. This is the first time I put pellets in loose. It's been cold crashing at 2 degrees for a week now. Not liking the floaters. I think I will go back to bags. I am currently racking into another bottling bucked to eliminate the floaters, which I hate doing.
View attachment 32815
You'll enjoy that especially around 4 to 5 weeks in the bottle...

Trying something different today. A strawberry mead made from lowicz. I've followed my own recipe for mead but added a bottle of lowicz and deducted 300g of honey. It could be great or terrible
First time I've tried it.

Attachments

• 20200926_202350.jpg
    20200926_202350.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 62
1st attempt at AG today. Been doing kits up to now so trying a small batch for comparison before I make decision to splash out on a Robobrew. All went reasonably well except managed to get hop debris in fermentor due to cock up during syphoning. Hopefully will not spoil things and will cold crash at end to drop everything out. Fingers crossed anyhoos

Attachments

• 1601107094981.jpg
    1601107094981.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 1601113120766.jpg
    1601113120766.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 1601113144840.jpg
    1601113144840.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 1601114718404.jpg
    1601114718404.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 1601120028302.jpg
    1601120028302.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20200926_112310.jpg
    IMG_20200926_112310.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20200926_140730.jpg
    IMG_20200926_140730.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 53
Moved my Graham Wheeler Summer Lightening extract clone to the pressure barrel after three weeks in the fermenter. Looks pretty clear already, although a touch darker than the real thing. May need a fair while conditioning before the taste is anywhere near! Boiled the hop pellets to make a tea, which I'm not sure I needed to do with pellets.

Half of my first Wherry kit straight into the vacated fermenter.
I'm enjoying my version of this. Easy to brew, about four weeks in the PB and it's quite drinkable and going down fast. athumb..

I brewed with my grown hops today. so
4.7kg pale
300g carapils
mash 65c for 60 mins
mashout 72c for 10 min
sparge 74c
Boil 60 mins 30 ibu Magnum
15 mins 27g my mix of fuggles and prima gold and
5 mins 27g as above
0 mins 8 g of above
letting it cool over night then pitch with cml us ale yeast. Hoping to dry hop with some more of my hops later.
oh and a bit of gypsum in the boil to try and 'pop' the hop flavours!

Got a few extract kits on the go, firstly a St peters ruby ale, also a brewferm strong blonde (formerly Diabolo) and decided to try a breferm belgian triple as well.

On the all grain front, this weekend i am planning on a pilsner according to this recipe

https://beerandbrewing.com/bohemian...XTRACT/GRAIN BILL 10 HOPS SCHEDULE More items...

I have all the ingredients but was considering adding some weyermann floor malted bohemian pilsner malt into the mix. From what i make out, this malt (which i have in stock), favours a step mash. this aint easy for me now althoug i could wing it. Any thoughts on quantities or techniques?

Another late night brewday. Brewing a Belgian pale based on Orval clone recipe. Planning on adding Orval dreggs to half the bottles so I can compare to the none Brett batch.
Screenshot_20200927-185917.jpg

Made an English Biiter today incorporating my home grown Fuggles

23l
3.6kg Maris Otter
200g Dark Crystal
400g Torrefied Wheat
50g Black Malt
Mash 67 degrees 90 minutes
60 mins - 20g Challenger, 10g EKG, 20g my Fuggles
10 mins - 30g my Fuggles

Wilco Gervin Ale Yeast

OG 1.040

Today I brewed my first Graham Wheeler recipe, Fuller's Discovery. It was nice adapting the recipe to my system and efficiencies. I like Wheeler's approach to making these ales. Much more relaxed in some ways, pretty rigid in others. It's chilling now.
Also kegged a Belgian Dubbel that I'm pretty jazzed about. Held the mash at a ferulic acid rest, lots of spice and fruit in the finished product.

I'm enjoying my version of this. Easy to brew, about four weeks in the PB and it's quite drinkable and going down fast. athumb..

Thanks cushyno, I'll try and leave it alone for four weeks. The case I've ordered from the local brewery will help!

The airlock on the Wherry is bubbing away at a tremendous rate.

I finally got around to doing a gallon of wheat beer today, the idea was to use 450g Maris & 450g wheat malt, but when I got all my kit ready and went for the grain...no Maris to be found (I think I do have a bag of it somewhere but it's elusive) and only 197g of wheat malt.

I chucked the wheat malt in and added the remainder of a bag of Crisp table malt (706g), mashed in 6 litres of Tesco value spring water @ 65C for about 45 minutes then (after squeezing as much out of the grain bag as possible) boiled for 30 minutes with the hop additions being: 6g Challenger @ 30 mins & 6g Cascade @ 10 mins (along with 1/4 Protofloc tablet).

I cold crashed to around 20C and pitched about 6g CML Beirm Five yeast.

All pretty standard, if a little bit slapped together, the weird thing was the OG which came in at 1060. According to Brewfather that puts my efficiency at 93%. Is that even possible? I'm still new enough to AG brewing to not be able to figure this one out...anybody know what happened here?

Latest posts

Back