What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! That’s a lot of hops. Have you an idea of how the weight of fresh compares to dried?

Anna

I didn't bother weighing them this year as they were quite wet with rain when I picked them, but usual advice is to use 5 or 6 times the weight of dried hops to allow for the moisture in them.
acheers.

Just Brewed my first ever non kit beer.

Was a partial mash kit of got in a starter set.
23l of Amber ale with williamette Hops now in the fv. 14g for 60 min boil and 14g at flame out.
OG 1.042.

Finally received the hops I was waiting for, so here goes with my first pressure fermented NEIPA. It’s going to be a hop bomb!

4.5kg Crafty Maltsters Pops Pale
500g oats
500g Torrified Wheat

30g each of citra, el dorado and mosaic, and 15g Galaxy at flameout

Dry Hop 1 - 60g citra, 35g each of Mosaic and El Dorado, 20g Galaxy
Dry Hop 2 - 60g citra, 35g each of Mosaic and El Dorado, 15g Galaxy

Ferment with Lallemand Verdant 19C for the first 3 days then 22C for the rest of fermentation.

I’m foregoing a sparge with this one because I don’t want to bottle any and I think I’ll just manage a full volume mash - this one is to be 100% kegged to keep the contact with oxygen to a minimum.

Last edited:
21 L Jail Ale
4200g MO
400g Crystal 55L
250g Wheat malt
40g Chocolate malt
25g Admiral pellets @ 60m
20g Fuggles @ 15m
15g EKG @ 5m
3g Irish moss @ 15m
CML Midland yeast
OG 1056 ( was aiming at 1048 at 66% efficiency by had 76%, way above my usual 64-68%).

Finally received the hops I was waiting for, so here goes with my first pressure fermented NEIPA. It’s going to be a hop bomb!

500g oats
500g Torrified Wheat

Ferment with Lallemand Verdant 19C for the first 3 days then 22C for the rest of fermentation.

I’m foregoing a sparge with this one because I don’t want to bottle any - this one is to be 100% kegged to keep the contact with oxygen to a minimum.
that looks great, I picked up a couple packs of verdant yeast too. I am curious if it is different than the east coast yeast they released recently.

that looks great, I picked up a couple packs of verdant yeast too. I am curious if it is different than the east coast yeast they released recently.
I haven’t tried the east coast. Apparently the Verdant one goes off like a rocket!

Just Brewed my first ever non kit beer.

Was a partial mash kit of got in a starter set.
23l of Amber ale with williamette Hops now in the fv. 14g for 60 min boil and 14g at flame out.
OG 1.042.

Just got that through the post myself. Looking forward to getting the kit brewed when I get round to it. Did it taste any good out of the sample jar?

Just transfering my dark winter Saison into the bottling bucket. Tasted a small sample. Surprised of how much brett character it has on the nose. Clarity is good, it's brown with red highlights.
This is my first Brett beer.
IMG_20201006_195926224.jpg

Just got that through the post myself. Looking forward to getting the kit brewed when I get round to it. Did it taste any good out of the sample jar?
It tasted not too bad, gonna be a long few weeks till it's ready.

unsure if kit brews are appropriate for this thread but i just started my first ever beer today (only done wine up until now).
evil dog double IPA.. short filled it (probably the wrong terminology) by 2L and it's certainly active on the heat pad. seems it takes longer than the suggested 2 weeks. will be adding the hops late.

unsure if kit brews are appropriate for this thread but i just started my first ever beer today (only done wine up until now).
evil dog double IPA.. short filled it (probably the wrong terminology) by 2L and it's certainly active on the heat pad. seems it takes longer than the suggested 2 weeks. will be adding the hops late.

Some kits can take up to 4 weeks to finish fermenting fully so don't rush it. I would leave it for a couple of weeks then take a gravity reading to see where it's at. From that you can tell if it's ready to dry hop or if you have to leave it another few days.

Some kits can take up to 4 weeks to finish fermenting fully so don't rush it. I would leave it for a couple of weeks then take a gravity reading to see where it's at. From that you can tell if it's ready to dry hop or if you have to leave it another few days.
cheers. i had set myself a wee reminded to check it in exactly 2 weeks. i'm expecting at least 3. i'm working on the patience thing.

Coffee porter today and it's been a while!!
Screenshot_20201007_151757_com.beersmith.beersmith2full.jpg

Had to substitute the Golding's for Challenger and Fuggles to Willamette. Or the other way around. 🤣
Hope I get some coffee coming through as it's my first porter.

Did no chill so it's now in the fermenter.

Belgian dubbel
3.5kg pilsner
500g wheat
500g Munich
250 caramunich 2
200g special W
200g Cara aroma
500g brown candy sugar
80g chocolate at mash out
18g Magnum @ 60mins

Yeast WLP 530 ( starter is on )
Just waiting on the water to heat up.

500g oats
500g Torrified Wheat

I’m foregoing a sparge with this one because I don’t want to bottle any and I think I’ll just manage a full volume mash - this one is to be 100% kegged to keep the contact with oxygen to a minimum.
My “biotransformation” hops are in. I read I should do it at “high krausen” and I reckon this is it:
AE379C7F-23C9-4F9B-B926-22FA94282344.jpeg

Today is #3 Tribute clone. Revised water profile from correspondence with St Austell Brewery,malt is 80/20 pale/ Munich. Hop schedule as my #2 so far..I might increase the flame out addition of celeia to include Willamette as that's the primary aroma I can pick out in the original.
Mash on!

Back