What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a raspberry turbo cider on the go.
3ltr lidl apple juice.
Cup of two teabag tea.
Tsp of pectolase.
Tsp of yeast nutrient.
250ml raspberry lowicz, (approx)
Funnel of sugar, (lol)
Crossmyloof all purpose wine yeast.

Can't find strawberry lowicz anywhere.

I make a raspberry flavoured gin but use fresh ones, had no problem wth thawed ones on my unsoured wheatbeer. See the photo
image.jpeg

Today I brewed a Czech Pilsner based on Greg Hughes recipe which was as follows

15 Litre batch, 60 min mash at 65C 75 min boil
Targets: OG: 1.044, FG: 1.009, ABV: 4.6%, EBC 6.1,, IBU:26

3Kg Hana Heritage Pilsner malt
70g Amber Malt (not in the recipe but I felt like adding it)

34g Saaz @ 75
14g Saaz @ 10
1/2 Tsp Yeast Nurtrient @ 10
1/2 Whirfloc @ 5
14g Saaz @ Flameout

Hit most of my numbers but OG ended up 1.046 and I left it at that rather than dilute to hit target.

No water treatment as my tap water is not far off Pilsner water anyway.

Yeast WLP 802

Pitched yeast at 10C

I'd love to try something like this, maybe with a little brett in there to make a sort of quick framboise but I'm a bit apprehensive about using raspberries now. Both times I've tried have been disastrous.
Any time I've used fruit and have used raspberries quite a few times is to make a puree and add when cooled. It seems to intensify the flavour somewhat especially in fruit wines and ciders.

I made a starter tonight for WLP810 which best by date was the 10th of this month.
Wort ended up high at 1.065 of which I had a litre from 550g of pilsen malt and 1.5l of water should have used 2l of water as I used 500ml for the starter and saved the other in a mason jar. Hope it will be OK.
IMG_20201019_225239.jpg
IMG_20201019_225201.jpg

Beerworks Chinook IPA, 3kg of LME, 1kg of glucose powder, 20g of West Coast yeast and 60g Chinook dry hop addition. OG 1.060(adjusted)

1603182818966.png

Fermenting @ 20°c in the beer fridge

21 litres of Summer Lightning

5000g Maris Otter
100g Wheat malt
45g Challenger @ 60m
25g EKG @ 15m
3g Irish moss @ 15m
CML Midland
OG 1057 ( way too high but I planned at BHE of 66% and it was 74%).

It appears since I've been treating the water my %'s have gone up, my last bitter was 76%. Is this coincidental?

Got a raspberry turbo cider on the go.
3ltr lidl apple juice.
Cup of two teabag tea.
Tsp of pectolase.
Tsp of yeast nutrient.
250ml raspberry lowicz, (approx)
Funnel of sugar, (lol)
Crossmyloof all purpose wine yeast.

Can't find strawberry lowicz anywhere.
That is virtually the same ingredients as what I have bottled today after about 2 weeks fermenting, although I used a whole bottle of lowicz but I forgot to add the tea. Doh!

That is virtually the same ingredients as what I have bottled today after about 2 weeks fermenting, although I used a whole bottle of lowicz but I forgot to add the tea. Doh!

I'm going to put more lowicz and juice or water to top up after a few days. (Had a few over zealous ones)
Going to add lidl sweetener at the end, about 9 teaspoons. Maybe more.

I’m having a sneaky work from home brew day today - the Munich Helles I’d planned to brew when I was off last week but a late delivery of hops for my previous brew knocked my schedule back.

4kg Crafty Maltsters Lager Malt
500g Light Munich

10g Magnum 60mins
15g Hersbucker 10mins

Omega German Lager yeast (pack was half price but pretty much at its use by date so I did a 1.5L starter last week followed by an additional 2L starter on Saturday to make sure I had sufficient cell count)

I’m taking my time with this one because I have all day. I’ve started with cold water (Since we moved into this house, which was a new build, 2 years ago I’ve filled my boiler with hot tap water), I’ve actually set a proper 15min 72C mash out, and I’d read that Munich Helles benefits from a 90min boil so I’m doing that as well.

I’m having a sneaky work from home brew day today - the Munich Helles I’d planned to brew when I was off last week but a late delivery of hops for my previous brew knocked my schedule back.

4kg Crafty Maltsters Lager Malt
500g Light Munich

10g Magnum 60mins
15g Hersbucker 10mins

Omega German Lager yeast (pack was half price but pretty much at its use by date so I did a 1.5L starter last week followed by an additional 2L starter on Saturday to make sure I had sufficient cell count)

I’m taking my time with this one because I have all day. I’ve started with cold water (Since we moved into this house, which was a new build, 2 years ago I’ve filled my boiler with hot tap water), I’ve actually set a proper 15min 72C mash out, and I’d read that Munich Helles benefits from a 90min boil so I’m doing that as well.
1.052 when I’d aimed for 1.047! I’m obviously still getting used to the Crafty Maltsters malt having superb extraction, although my improved processes today probably helped too.

It puts my efficiency at 75% when I was getting 65% at the start of the year, even after switching from BIAB to an all-in-one.

My improved processes today probably helped too.

First half of the Wherry kit bottled:

Wherry_Oct2020.jpg

Graham Wheeler Landlord extract clone started in the small fermenter, enormous amount of hops added at day eight to the Beerworks Imperial Stout in the big fermenter. All of this going on in the nanobrewery beneath my kitchen table.

1.052 when I’d aimed for 1.047! I’m obviously still getting used to the Crafty Maltsters malt having superb extraction, although my improved processes today probably helped too.

It puts my efficiency at 75% when I was getting 65% at the start of the year, even after switching from BIAB to an all-in-one.

My improved processes today probably helped too.
My Inkbird has gone haywire. Showing 28C tonight when I’d cooled to 19C at 2:30pm. I moved the probe into my kegerator and it was reading 15C higher than the Inkbird on the kegerator.

I have a 3rd Inkbird with faulty sockets but working temperature probe so connected that up and it was actually 13C in my fermenting chamber (again 15C lower than the faulty Inkbird). I’ve “calibrated” the faulty Inkbird to match it but think I might need to order another one tomorrow.

I think I now know why my brews have been taking a while to get started recently - they are actually fermenting colder than intended.

Wish I hadn't started,now I know what I'm naming this damn brew.
5kg Best Malz Pilsen which is full of straw and have a serious stuck sparge UBD 11/20
500g of Chateau Cara Clair (A Belgian Caramel malt) UBD 10/19
Yeast will be WLP810 San Francisco Lager UBD 10/10/20 made up to a small but active starter
Hallertau hops of some description
And shall have a beer or three though I normally wouldn't but this is just crazy.The malt pipe overflow is going to the bin tomorrow..

Wish I hadn't started,now I know what I'm naming this damn brew.
5kg Best Malz Pilsen which is full of straw and have a serious stuck sparge UBD 11/20
500g of Chateau Cara Clair (A Belgian Caramel malt) UBD 10/19
Yeast will be WLP810 San Francisco Lager UBD 10/10/20 made up to a small but active starter
Hallertau hops of some description
And shall have a beer or three though I normally wouldn't but this is just crazy.The malt pipe overflow is going to the bin tomorrow..
Got drunk and absolutely scundered as the sparge took for ages so used 2018 home grown Prima Donna hops and 10 cardomom pods. This should be interesting.

Currently brewing a Czech Dark Lager - it sorta started off as a bock, but made some changes based on what grain/hops I had in. It's ended up as close as damn it as a Czech Dark lager, which was fortunate, as that is something I've been looking at brewing since I got back from a long weekend in Prague last year with friends. (Remember that?)

Back